How to upgrade FCP 4.5 systems to "Tiger" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 6th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #1
Wrangler

How to upgrade FCP 4.5 systems to "Tiger"

Something sounds wrong there, I haven't heard of the file corruption problem before. Not that it's any consolation (more like insult added to injury), but Apple has never claimed FCP 4.5 was Tiger-compliant. Hopefully you'll find a solution over on Apple's forums, there are some pretty sharp people there.

Everyone... please be sure you have plenty of time before contemplating a Tiger upgrade, and keep a backup of your old, working system in case you have this kind of problem.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 03:08 PM   #2
Trustee

Read and learn from Steve's experience

Moderator note: Steve found out the hard way that upgrading to Tiger is not as simple as you might think if you're still running Final Cut Pro HD 4.5. The lesson is: do not choose the archive and install option because it doesn't remove some old system files which will break FCP under Tiger. Please read his notes and save yourself some headaches before attempting it yourself!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I've found a solution that allows my G5 to have Tiger installed with every app working as it should!

What I did was purchase a new SATA HD and left the old original OEM Mac HD installed with Tiger running.....I then put in the Tiger Install DVD and it prompts you for a choice of instal configurations- I selected "Full Tiger" install and luckily there is a choice to allow the new setup to copy settings and apps from a previous version on a network, Firewire HD, USB HD or another partition.......luckily I selected "copy from partition" and it detected the original OEM HD and copied all the apps and settings and after the install everything from FCP HD to Garageband, etc all works perfectly.....

...so I can now safely delete everything off the OEM Mac HD and use it as a media drive- so I have the dual internal SATA setup I was going to do initially anyway- so in the end it all worked out perfectly.

Anyone in my predicament could buy a cheap HD and copy the old setup to it then reinstall Tiger with the Full Install option (reformatting the new HD)...then you can have Tiger copy the old apps to the new OS and all should work fine. One final note: don't upgrade to QT7- stay using 6.5.2 until 7 is verified to work with FCP- the problem will revert otherwise.

For now I'm 100% satisfied and could have gone without this hiccup- I just feel bad for the tons of people that don't figure this out and have some semi-functioning apps......

Happy computing everyone!
Old June 12th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #3
Wrangler

Downgrading from QT 7 to QT 6

If you've installed Quicktime 7 and are having problems with FCP HD 4.5, here are some links to help you restore your system to Quicktime 6.

Earlier versions of QT 6 are here:

http://search.info.apple.com/?search...=QuickTime%206

Also, if you need to downgrade from QT7 to QT6 you can use this reinstaller:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...cktime701.html

But note that the re-installer only works with QT 7.0.1. If you are running QT 7.0.3 you will first need to downgrade it to 7.0.1 using this re-installer:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...cktime703.html

Finally, if you puchased a QT Pro key but it isn't working any more, you can retrieve it using the procedure outlined here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58453

Last edited by Boyd Ostroff; December 3rd, 2005 at 08:32 AM. Reason: added link to QT7.0.1 reinstaller and removed dead link
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Don't you need to use Quicktime 7.0 to use FCP 5.0?
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 08:22 PM   #5
Wrangler

Yes. But this thread is about using FCP 4.5 under MacOS 10.4...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite