HD100 owners, please report. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 26th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #1
Trustee

HD100 owners, please report.

Ok, the QC quality issues are getting really out of hand. I'm in Europe and am thinking about waiting to see if the US version will be trouble free before buying my HD100. If they are trouble free, I might buy an US version.

But I thought it would be useful to create a thread where all the HD100 owners could report if they have any problems with their cameras and what are the problems. I think it would be easier to keep a track on how many trouble units are out there and if there are actually any one which has no problems at all, if it waws all in one thread, rather than posting many individual threads. Maybe Chris could make a sticker thread about it or just stick this one.
So please, if you bought a JVC GY-HD100, PAL or NTSC, please report in this thread. Not only if your camera has problems, but also if you bought one and it is trouble free. That's very important, because normally only people who have problems post and that may give a false impression that the majority of the units have problems. If you report both, problematic and trouble free units, it will do a great service for this community. But only report if you bought one. Not if you have used one in a trade show or tested one in a dealer. Those could be pre-production units.

Thanks for your collaboration.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
Ok, the QC quality issues are getting really out of hand.
Having spent real time with the camera, I think what's gotten out of hand possibly is the online reaction to other posters assessments of problems.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Ok, the QC quality issues are getting really out of hand. I'm in Europe and am thinking about waiting to see if the US version will be trouble free before buying my HD100. If they are trouble free, I might buy an US version.
Keep in mind that if you get a US version, you won't have PAL. The cameras are not worldwide, they still shoot standard-def in NTSC or PAL, and I'd figure that NTSC would be fairly useless over there...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
Having spent real time with the camera, I think what's gotten out of hand possibly is the online reaction to other posters assessments of problems.
It might as well be. One more reason reports of problematic and trouble free units would give potential buyers a more clear picture of the situation. So we can really see what's the balance of bad against good units.

It seems JVC America delayed shipping to do extra QC,which was the right move. I wish it had been the same with the other regions. Is it fair the PAL folks just get screwed? I think everybody has the right to know before buying.
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
I'd have to disagree. Just spent a few days in Sydney and Melbourne, Australia with the stock cam, stock lens. Lots of image problems, and the camera, which felt "cheap" at WEVA, felt equally cheap on the other side of the equator. The JVC reps at WEVA explained the camera is "wobbly" because parts are designed to break away in the event of an accident or dropping, preventing more serious damage to the camera or shooter. Rep in Australia said it was due to allowing the camera to function better under high vibration, such as found on boats, motorcycles, etc.
Neither explanation made sense.

So far, the only thing from the camera that has impressed me is what Charles, Nate, and Barry shot. Most of what users in New Zealand, Australia, and Europe have posted here, has been experienced by folks at a prominent magazine in Australia. Mike Jones of SoundHouse has one right now; he's doing a very in-depth review of it, and he's not a Sony, JVC, or Panasonic shill, so whatever he comes out with will likely be a pretty straight story. When I was there day before yesterday, and shooting with it over the weekend, at least 4 phone calls had to be made to JVC to ask questions about why XX worked/didn't work as advertised.
Very sexy looking camera, one you'd want to love. However, looks don't pay the bills... Unless you're Orlando Bloom or something.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
I'd have to disagree. Just spent a few days in Sydney and Melbourne, Australia with the stock cam, stock lens. Lots of image problems, and the camera, which felt "cheap" at WEVA, felt equally cheap on the other side of the equator.
The units I played with at NAB had been manhandled to the point where the viewfinder would barely stay up straight. All the plastic had gotten loosey-goosey, and it felt awful. It reminded me of the Panasonic DVC7 or 60. My heart fell.

The camera I worked with the other week was nothing of the sort. All the plastic was super solid, to the level of an XL1 at least.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Keep in mind that if you get a US version, you won't have PAL. The cameras are not worldwide, they still shoot standard-def in NTSC or PAL, and I'd figure that NTSC would be fairly useless over there...

I need it for HD only basically. If I ever need to shoot PAL, I will just use the 576 50p mode and down convert to PAL. If the US version turns out to be trouble free, that's the way I'm going.
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
However, looks don't pay the bills... Unless you're Orlando Bloom or something.
Hehehe. Good one.
Old August 26th, 2005, 07:03 PM   #9
Wrangler

Watching from the sidelines, one has to wonder if this is the same camera...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Steyn
Out of the Box Notes - Camera feels solid and nice
Quote:
and the camera, which felt "cheap" at WEVA, felt equally cheap on the other side of the equator.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #10

I've had three in my hands thus far, and all three had the LCD feeling "wobbly" like it was mounted on a soft rubber. Eyepiece felt similar. The WEVA camera was only different from the other two, in that the earpiece moved, but the two that I've worked with here in Australia, the earpiece was solid.
If you look at it from the viewpoint of what JVC commented on, that the EVF and LCD are designed to "breakaway" then maybe that's intentional. No way, no how did the eyepiece feel remotely like any of my several XL1/XL1s camcorders, but they also don't have the same balance factor by any means.

I was expecting the Fuji lens to really look bad. Projected on a 16" screen, it definitely doesn't match up to the Z1. It wasn't as bad as I expected. But...JVC was apparently bringing Mike a second lens, I don't know what that is. I've been promised a tape once they conclude their shooting, and they'll be shooting with both lenses, same subjects.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 07:35 PM   #11
Trustee

Douglas, I'm also unhappy with all the reported problems with the HD100.
But the thing for me is, what else in the market, can offer progessive scan HD, including 24/25p, with an interchangeble lens for under 6,000?
That's why the HD100 still so attractive, even with the glitches. The problem is I think JVC also knows it/thinks that way, judging by JVC's attitude in Europe and Austrialia. Why would they relase a product of this level without working out the problems first? Sounds like they didn't even tested the cameras before shipping. I still would like to know if there's anybody in PAL land who has got a perfect HD100.

P.S. I have the feeling the split screen and color shift will be firmware fixable, maybe even via SD card. The lens really doesn't matter much for me, since I will be using other lenses. Reason it's still a go for me. But I would like them to work things out anyway.
Old August 27th, 2005, 02:24 AM   #12
Major Player

My experience thus far with JVC HD 100

My experience thus far is as follows:

I have had the camera a week.

Tape I am using is the Panasonic Pro - not HDV tape as yet.

I am monitoring on a 17" LCD via component out at 720P. I have also viewed the footage on a big screen projected out from component out.

Everthing was shot at 25P.

Camera build - generally very good. I dont agree that it is cheap or plasticy as some have reported. The only exception is the microphone - just do yourself a favour and throw it in the bin immediately before you get upset. I did this with the XL1s mic and that in my opinion was better.

I got concerned when I heard of the split screen effect from others (I feel for those experiencing problems) so I have done the following. Shot outside in bright conditions (that Australian sun!). Tilted up from dark garden area into the bright sky. No problems. Put on the gain and and put on the ND filter. No problems

HOWEVER .... I thought I detected the split screen effect once for a short time when I projected the tape onto the big screen - it was a sky shot. This seemed to correct itself. So if there is a split screen effect it is not immediately evident on my camera or if it is it is so marginal that I can live with it until a fix is announced. I will keep testing for this over the next week.

I have also shot indoors in low light conditions. Very nice. No problems for those who can use lighting - you have to light for darkness!

Tried pulling focus - put on ND filter and opened iris right up.
Shallow depth of field is possible with the standard lens.

The standard lens is quite usable - have noticed magenta fringing once or twice. I can certainly live with it for the time being. However, I am thinking of a better lens later on when funds permit.

Good colours - not the hyper colour of the sony hdv but there is massive room for colour manipulation within the extensive menu. You can get the look you want. Good skin tone.

Some spectacular shots are possible - they really jump out at you when you get the framing and lighting right.

Excellent resolution.

Several drop outs experienced today. Is this the codec? I dont think so as I was not doing anything, just a still image - I will try the Sony HDV tapes and see if this recurs.

Battery hopeless: discharges very quickly and takes a long time to charge - I am thinking Anton Bauer as a solution.

My overall impression - this is a very nice camera indeed. So take heart those who have not got the camera yet.

Caveat: I have not finished testing this camera. Tomorrow I am shooting a music video with the camera and will let you know the results.

Cheers,

Rob Castiglione
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 03:53 AM   #13
Trustee

Thanks for sharing Robert. Very helpful.
It would be great if you could post some footage of your music video when you're done.
Old August 27th, 2005, 07:24 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Is it fair the PAL folks just get screwed? I think everybody has the right to know before buying.
I agree, I wanted to give comment on this, but I didn't really dear to, but I don't really get why nobody commented on this.
I'm not really interested in the cam myself, but it seems like many people don't bother that "it's released in Europe, and they all have problems there, so they'll wait to ship, and bring a little modified version to the US." But what with all the people in PAL-lands who already bought one?
I'm not attacking the americans here, who are interested in the cam, just commenting why there has been no reaction on this before.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 10:13 AM   #15
Trustee

I am going to chime in here and ask,
did anyone really think the first model would be without issues?

It is hard to think about a 'next step' generation of camcorder
which hasn't had some problem. That said, dead pixels
are pretty major to me as no firmware update can solve that.
A wobbly LCD is okay with me as long as it stays straight/aligned with
the camera and can take some abuse. (A stiff LCD that snaps
off with a slight nudge wouldn't be good either.)

What I am getting at is I would hope JVC's customer service is all over
this camera and given the resources they will need. No one likes
sending in their 'baby' for service, but once returned, a repaired
(or updated) camera in good working order would make me happy.

I hope this is the business model that JVC pursues. In order to
mitigate old impressions, and compete with Sony and Panasonic,
JVC will need to beat them both in quality and customer service.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems