Best Letus35+reel-stream footage ever - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 8th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Hurd
I also just installed their encoder (20-day trial). My original file was 230 MB. After encoding with sheer, twice (2 different settings), it's now at 462 MB, and there's a huge gamma shift (not what I'd call "perfect" by any stretch.)
Wait... Are you saying your file size doubled after the compression?
About the gamma shift, with a lossless codec, every pixel in every frame should be identical to those in the original, so there's something strange going on there...

On the bitjazz-site there is a link to some awful footage apperently coded with sheervideo. If I were them I'd remove it... It looks like it's 4 bit color...
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 12:01 PM   #17
Major Player

Installed codec, double clip your video, opens media player, media player gives an error "The specified module could not be found"

What player is needed, media player or quicktime?

Wayne.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obin Olson
for the people that have installed the sheervideo codec, what happens when you try and play the file?
Nothing happens, the free decoder you can download installs in the quicktime directory, but quicktime can't do anything with it since it is .avi. I also tried media player classic, it says it can't find the codec...

Steven
Old October 8th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Try encoding it with a more popular codec, like DivX or Xvid. Both of them are free and can be downloaded from the DivX site.
Chad Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 12:46 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote Steven F. "Wait... Are you saying your file size doubled after the compression?"
Yes. I tried it twice, thinking I'd done something wrong. Tried 2 different settings. Maybe it just "compresses" everything to be of HD size or something.
As for the gamma shift, that happened consistently as well. Perhaps it's still in beta . . .

I can play avi's using Quicktime on my mac, but Obin's file comes up large and . . . black. It's very even, though, and no noise that I can see ;)

Glen
PS To export in H.264 with Quicktime, you may have to buy the pro version for $30 from Apple, although there are other H.264 encoders for the PC out there. It's basically the latest generation of the mpeg-4 standard, and can play HD footage at less than 1MB/sec with no visual loss in picture quality.
Glen Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #21
Major Player

Obin is an odd fellow.

http://dv3productions.com/HD_dvx/Letus35_SHEERIVDEO.avi
(right click, save as option)

EDIT: I would guess you need to be a beta tester for the AVI version.

Last edited by Kyle Edwards; October 8th, 2005 at 03:35 PM.
Kyle Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 03:46 AM   #22
Old Boot

I can't make head nor tail of this. Downloaded the 148mb AVI. Read the JAZZ stuff. Was at complete loss as to what I should be downloading for free to view. I would really liked to have seen your footage. Gotta move on!

Best regards,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 03:56 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Hurd
To export in H.264 with Quicktime, you may have to buy the pro version for $30 from Apple, although there are other H.264 encoders for the PC out there. It's basically the latest generation of the mpeg-4 standard, and can play HD footage at less than 1MB/sec with no visual loss in picture quality.
There is (some) visible loss, but it's still phenomenal considering the bitrate. Too bad it runs choppy on my computer... Oh well, let the upgrade games begin (again) :)

Steven
Old October 9th, 2005, 04:42 AM   #24
Major Player

"no visual loss in quality" sounds a lot like visually lossless, and h264 is certainly not visually lossless at 75:1 compression, even if it is very good. Also at such compression and resolution it is likely to require much more cpu power to decompress, so anyone with <3ghz intel 2ghz amd and 2 ghz g5 probably would be stuck watching it in slow mo.

glen,
what are you compressing with sheervideo? if its anything other than uncompressed >=4:2:2 footage, sheervideo will make it larger since it is a lossless format. keep in mind it supports rgb and 4:2:2 so if for example you compress dv 4:1:1, you are adding 0.25x or 0.66x the original data and then compressing it only ~2.5x. that would leave you with a file greater than twice the size of dv since dv is 5x compression. now if you are going from 8bpp to 10bpp that adds data as well (and might affect the gamma?)
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 06:48 AM   #25
Regular Crew

I can't get it to work either, I think to view it through Bitjazz free player the file needs to be quicktime. I'm dying to see this footage though!
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:39 AM   #26
Regular Crew

is this like some kind of advertisement scheme "BEST FOOTAGE" and we are all left downloading a free codec I've never heard of and then it doens't even work...hmm what's going on here man?
:)
Dmitry Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #27
Major Player

I think it's encoded with the avi-beta and the free codec doesn't support avi at the moment. There are a lot of codecs on the market so it's a matter of taste.
Old October 9th, 2005, 01:11 PM   #28
Trustee

I'm just posting this so I can right-click on it and save the file.

Old October 9th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
I'm just posting this so I can right-click on it and save the file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik-Larsson
I think it's encoded with the avi-beta and the free codec doesn't support avi at the moment. There are a lot of codecs on the market so it's a matter of taste.
Psst guys, 6 posts above both of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Edwards
Obin is an odd fellow.

(right click, save as option)

EDIT: I would guess you need to be a beta tester for the AVI version.
Kyle Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 06:58 AM   #30
Trustee

Imitation is a form of flattery.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods