HD-SDI Recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old October 18th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #1
Major Player

HD-SDI Recorder

With the upcoming XL HD1 and all the HD-SDI Box camers out their and the available adapters for component to HD-SDI, I was curious what peoples interest is in a HD-SDI recorder.

If say, a portable hd-sdi recorder that recorded uncompressed HD (no compression what so ever), could connect to a computer through a HD-SDI out or through firewire with a special processing application would you be interested. How much would it be worth to you. By portable I mean about the size of a FS-3 without a battery.

Very basic deck with few features but still uncompressed and could be used as a playback device (hd-sdi). Basic things like frame search, simple timecode, and rec/play all that their is. Is it a shoot tool you would use?

I don't want to reveal exactly what I'm getting at to soon, so sorry about being kind of vague.
Keith Wakeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Wakeham
With the upcoming XL HD1 and all the HD-SDI Box camers out their and the available adapters for component to HD-SDI, I was curious what peoples interest is in a HD-SDI recorder.

If say, a portable hd-sdi recorder that recorded uncompressed HD (no compression what so ever), could connect to a computer through a HD-SDI out or through firewire with a special processing application would you be interested. How much would it be worth to you. By portable I mean about the size of a FS-3 without a battery.

Very basic deck with few features but still uncompressed and could be used as a playback device (hd-sdi). Basic things like frame search, simple timecode, and rec/play all that their is. Is it a shoot tool you would use?

I don't want to reveal exactly what I'm getting at to soon, so sorry about being kind of vague.

You forgot to mention "affordable".
Old October 18th, 2005, 04:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Indeed I did forget, but that was what I was getting at but I also wanted to see what people were thinking in terms of what they themselves felt is affordable.
Old October 18th, 2005, 05:35 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

What is affordable? I suppose that will vary from person to person. There are those who can drop $10,000 on a new cam, and barely flinch. Then there are people like myself, who barely work enough to consider this more than a hobby, and are forced to rely on their cam pulling double duty. Spending $1,500 for a decent deck is out of the question.

It does sound like a wonderful thought though, being portable. Can you whip up a really nice, portable harddisk audio recorder too? That is something I could really use!
Old October 18th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #5
Major Player

Little off topic but I think that their are already some digital audio recorders available now. Didn't see it at M-audio's site but heres a link to the engadget story

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000840051727/

Although if you are considering to use HD-SDI you probably don't have a consumer camera since that datarate is 1.485 Gbps uncompressed (after active range 150 megabytes/second) so something like this would only be targetted to pros.
Old October 18th, 2005, 06:07 PM   #6
Capt. Quirk

I have a standard def GL1, not ready to move up to HD quite yet. As far as audio recorders, there are some that are available, that are truly portable. I like the Alesis Deva... the price is what chokes me though. The more affordable ones, $1,500 are nice, but usually don't have much space or channels. The really affordable ones... like the iRivers and such, just won't cut it for me.
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:10 AM   #7
New Boot

Hi,
We have one
http://ctt.ru/products/hd/flash_dvr/
it's in russian, english will be some later
base model have 20GB on board, 3min in HD or 6min with LS codec.
also 40GB, 80, or 160GB models possible too.
HDSDI IN/OUT, 8" TFT LCD option.
price from $4800 USD
WELCOME
Alexander Kitaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #8
Major Player

Very nice. Can you add jpeg2000 codec based on adv202 chip?
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 03:22 AM   #9
New Boot

Yes, we have such plan, some later, but using our FPGA, now we testing soft,
and codec will be available as free upgrade.
Alexander Kitaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 04:51 AM   #10
Major Player

Alexander, any news?
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #11
Major Player

This is exactly what I want. An HD-SDI in with maybe a firewire out so I can slap it on my hip, record all day, and dump off to a computer at night.

And I'll pay 2k for it.

Someone has to make one sooner or later...
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:48 AM   #12
Major Player

This does sound very promising. Any updates?
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition