Any direct-to-disk solutions for recording uncompressed? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old January 18th, 2006, 03:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Any direct-to-disk solutions for recording uncompressed?

I'm curious. At the high end of the industry (Viper, CineAlta) are there any direct-to-disk RAID array portable solutions for recording uncompressed 10 bit 4:2:2 or even 4:4:4, accepting the signal from the camera via HD-SDI or Dual Link HD-SDI?
Roy Bemelmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 04:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Not any ones that are economic. I guess the Wafian is the closest, but it's not uncompressed nor portable in a sense of running around with it.

I have a feeling that the best solution might be a custom made one, where you take a portable computer based system outfitted with a RAID and SDI capture card (8 or 10 bit, 4:2:2 or 4:4:4) and then power the whole thing with DC power. Not a terribly practical setup but it's probably the closest thing to a portable recorder that you're going to come across without spending huge bucks.

Maybe I'm not considering something, don't take my word as if it were carved on stone...
Matthew Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #3

The Wafian or QSOL tools are not horribly expensive, but past that...figure a quarter mil just for storage, and it's the size of a small under-bar refrigerator. This isn't an easy task in the field, simply because of lacking power and bus speed on a laptop. But I'm pretty certain you could build a drive array using SATA, and feed it with some light compression format.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Bemelmans
I'm curious. At the high end of the industry (Viper, CineAlta) are there any direct-to-disk RAID array portable solutions for recording uncompressed 10 bit 4:2:2 or even 4:4:4, accepting the signal from the camera via HD-SDI or Dual Link HD-SDI?
Not as an "on camera" solution, but maybe "transportable".
At PixelCorps, we typically shoot with a CineAlta F950, capturing 4:4:4 to a HUGE Systems RAID array via a Kona2 on a Dual G5 Power Mac running Final Cut. We've used XRAIDs from Apple as well, but they barely keep up at 24p. The HUGE Systems 4106 Media Vault seems to keep up with little effort.

The resulting quicktime files can be edited as needed.
On the PC, you'd need to download AJA's codec, but then just about any NLE that support QuickTime files should be able to work with the video files. I've even worked with these on little-'ole Ulead Media Studio Pro.

At the moment, there's nothing "camcorder portable" though.
Too much storage space, horsepower, and associated cooling is needed to digest data at these rates.
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
I'm pretty certain you could build a drive array using SATA, and feed it with some light compression format.
That makes sense, since the data rate for minimally compressed codecs like DNxHD or Cineform Prospect HD are under 250 Mbps, or basically 30 megabytes/sec. That's well within the theoretical throughput of a single fast modern hard drive, and ought to be easily sustainable on a two-drive RAID. So drop two drives in a small, portable computer case using a RAID0 configuration, add an HD-SDI input card and an appropriate capture codec plus an LCD monitor and a keyboard, and away you go. Toss a small portable generator into the mix and the entire recording setup should easily fit on a golf cart, or even a mountain bike if you were determined enough to try that.

So a lot depends on your definition of "portable."
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #6
Trustee

i believe that an engineer here on dvinfo is currently designing a portable 4:2:2(?) recorder.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #7
Major Player

Ya that engineer fellow would likely be me :)

Check out the website, drop me an email with comments or design ideas or if you wish to be in the beta group.

The first prototype is being built this month so I'm rather excited.

Edit: Ya, 4:2:2 for the standalone deck, but its fairly open. I'm planning on a dual link setup so two can be connected in parallel for portable (beit a little heavier) high def 4:4:4 12 bit per channel uncompressed.
Keith Wakeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #8
Trustee

As for codec's how about sheervideo's?

http://www.bitjazz.com/sheervideo/

Avids ?

"Avid DNxHD 145 8-bit media delivers HD quality while requiring approximately 20% less storage capacity than 8-bit uncompressed standard definition media."

Cineform ProspectHD?
Sounds great but it isn't sold on its own.
Visually lossless at 10bit and can capture to a single drive is quite amazing, but requires fair bit of CPU. Too bad they restrict AspectHD from capturing SDI. It would be a phenominal low cost solution where portability is concerned.
Dang Cineform, dang! (said in Napoleon Dynamite voice :)

What about HuffYUV?
Old January 19th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Bemelmans
http://ctt.ru/products/hd/flash_dvr/
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....08&postcount=7
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hodson
Cineform ProspectHD?
Sounds great but it isn't sold on its own.
Um, yeah it is: see following link at the bottom of the page.

http://www.cineform.com/index.asp
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #11
Trustee

Um, yeah good work. It didn't used to be.
$3499 USD puts it in a price bracket all its own. Ouch!
Old January 20th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
Um, yeah it is: see following link at the bottom of the page.

http://www.cineform.com/index.asp
um, no it's not... the only way that a software codec would be of any value here is if there was hardware to run it on, with an interface to the camera... maybe like a more portable version of that Wafian? or perhaps on a laptop that somehow had a bastard dinky aja card in it.

i don't know any of the specific details, but i believe that keith designed his own chipset for the video recorder we are talking about... as i understand it, there isn't anything else on the market today that is comparable to what his company is doing right now... and it's at a quality/price point that will blow hdv clean out of the water.

and if it all pans out, i'll be right there going "i told you so", lol.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #13
Trustee

Dan, everyone of the codecs mentioned would still need hardware.
The Wafian is exactly the setup Cineform offers for this task, but you could build your own PC if wanted. The beauty of ProspectHD solution it it can capture its 10bit visually lossless codec to a single drive! Amazing, as heavy duty RAID solutions would be the bulk of cost/power/size for all other solutions.
I wish Cineform would list the PC specs for ingest.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition