JVC Everio HDV camcorder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old March 20th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hodson
This brings up another question. HDV is a tape standard. What will the HDD varient be called?
Good point Chris. I mentioned this earlier in the thread. I don't think we have to worry about it though. No cam has been anounced. Just some bad translation/reporting and a few over zealous potential customers.
Old March 20th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #17

Quote:
I don't think we have to worry about it though. No cam has been anounced. .
You likely *won't* see a 25Mbps MPEG 2 non-tape format camera announced in this particular space for a long, long time. The main benefit of HDV is that manufacturers can take advantage of current manufacturing lines and technology to leverage the development they've done based around DV. It's in no one's best interest (manufacturing side) to deviate from this course for a while. Sony and Canon have made it pretty clear they're staying this course for a while, I'd wager on at least 3 years at minimum.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:39 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
Wayne Morellini,
Thats good news to hear. Let me take a guess, a 3 chip ¼ inch camcorder that is the same size category with the Canon GL2 and the Panasonic DVC30. OH an 3 CMOS
No idea what is coming, but at $799, I imagine the Ambarella based cameras are going to be one chip flash (unless JVC or one of the other name brands does it).
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:08 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Exactly the point. There has never been anything released by JVC saying there would be a HDV Everio. The big deal with the Everio, which JVC is marketing quite hard, is it is a HDD based cam which records to a form of mpeg2. Some people took this to mean HDV which it is not. JVC has never been quiet about any of its HD cams. We will know about any new ones long befor release.
The camera was seen, photographed, and I forget where ever there was some press release associated with it, or wherever they got additional information on the spot from JVC reps (realising there seems to be two articles revealing different additional information). The camera photographed is not a current model (JVC has also just released their new Everios, article at Techdigest in the UK?, and no Everio like this). There was also a member post I linked to, from before the articles, who had been at a dealers conference where they were plainly told about the HD Everio, do we need anymore (apart from the camera ;)?

For what ever reason, JVC has the brakes on it. The notion that there can't be a had drive version because there is a tape version doesn't really fit with what JVC does with multiple tape and Everio hard dive version of the last couple of years. I guess they need to feed and expand their tape HDD lines for the inevitable tape line shutdown in a number of years time). I think, if not for latte in the year, then we might see something at NAB, as I have been told that Sony would be doing by Sony pro dealer/representative (It's getting to the who was that guy all that time ago, memory thing at the moment ;).

I remember, JVC did say something about a low end HD camera for the European market a few years ago, at one of their conferences. The release date was unrealistically long, like 2006 or 2007 (I forget) but here we are (and I don't mean the PD1 ;). But here we are. Why has JVC sat on it's hands of so long I don't really know.

Unfortunately, I think it is just a matter of sit on our hands and wait to see what happens.
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:17 PM   #20
Trustee

As for the supposed picture of the tapeless HDV cam that was linked to, it clearly said CCD on the side. Not HDV. I took issue with this at the time. As far as all the other supposed hard evidence, well my opinion is they stated the Evirio's would be mpeg2, which they are, and some less knowledgeable eager folks took this to be HDV.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:00 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Sorry Ken, I didn't know why you didn't know what we were talking about, I thought we were is the other JVC Everio HD thread.

Here is the other thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ght=HDV+Everio

The post in a June 2005 thread, that attended a press meeting confirming HD version of the camera:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....11&postcount=3

AV magazine original report about the CEATEC show:
http://translate.google.com/translat...%26rls%3Den-us
http://www.avmagazine.it/news/videocamere/430.html

New launches version of the JVC announcement mentioning the hi-vision (HD translated from Japanese)1080i as well:
http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/...hard_drive.php

Tech digest has unfortunately put a illustrative picture of an ordinary Everio on their article on JVC's plans to move HDV to tape. This has confused a few people:
http://www.techdigest.tv/2005/07/jvc_plans_high_.html

Every article is explicitly stating that they are planning a hard drive based HD camera, many naming it HDV.

CCD, charged couple device (sensor) can be HD (hope they go to a good CMOS instead).
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:11 AM   #22
Trustee

I don't give personal threads much weight just because nothing can be verified.(I heard from a friend, or my buddy who works for... ect) The last three links all seem to be reporting the same thing, so something must have been leaked by JVC. What time frame they have in mind, we have no idea. JVC isn't shy about announcing products long befor their release, so maybe we will hear something new from NAB? As it stands now there still hasn't been an official product announcement from JVC, only a statement that they will shift HDV onto HDD, which in it's self is very cool.
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Agreed, the different reports have additional info, so it is probably a stripped down press release, or from a JVC announcement at the CEATEC Exhibition.

http://www.CEATEC.com/en/2006/

The personal post, is from a guy that was at a JVC press conference, so, maybe it is a back up the latter press reports.
Old March 25th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #24
Trustee

All this talk of NAB is driving me insane. It would be a miracle if I somehow got to NAB this year and I know it’s somehow too late already.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

Paulo it's not too late. Your only real concern will be finding an affordable hotel.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Can you still camp out in the desert, like they did when they made he Hoover Dam? ;)

I wish I was going, but I can't really afford too, pity there is goign to be a number of cool things goign on there this year, and a few of the guys getting together.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series