Prospect HD -- various questions - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 5th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #46
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes that will work. Only issue is if you have any 1920x1080 content, as that can only be decoded within Vegas not encoded (unless you install Prospect HD on you Vegas PC.)
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #47
Inner Circle

No, it will be 720p, at least thats the plan for now.

Thanks for the response
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:43 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Prospect HD

Hi

I am thinking of using Prospect HD for simple direct to disk recording in a small pc with Xena. Just a couple of questions:

(1) What would the minimum pc spec look like for this application. No editing involved just straight recording. (Capturing component) Will any of the ITX boards be suitable?

(2) Recording 1280x720 50p 4:2:2 would a single hard disk of any variety be suitable or would I need a raid? (Prospect HD)

(3) Are there any other programs available for recording to disk using Prospect HD or is it just Premier Pro 2? I don't really want to buy a full NLE to do this if possible.

(4) How would I then use the video captured with Prospect HD on a Mac?

Many thanks!

Trevor
Trevor Allin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 05:42 AM   #49
Wrangler

You'd need a high-end PC with PPro:
http://www.cineform.com/products/ProspectHDConfig.htm

I'm not a Mac user, so not sure what PC formats that FCP can import and edit natively.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 08:54 AM   #50
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Trevor,

1) the minimum system spec for real-time compression (not simple) is a Pentium D 840EE, 955 is better, and now that Conroe is released that is the recommended small form-factor part. There is a good change a high-end Merom (new Core 2 Duo mobile CPU) will also be up to the task, we need more testing on this.

2) For capture you will not need a RAID, 720p50 at 10-bit will average under 20MB/s.

3) We have only integrated a capture unity into Premiere Pro. However other others have built there own capture tools like Wafian. Maybe you are needing a Wafian unit?

4) Mac support is very close. We will soon allow you to capture directly into a CineForm MOV file for direct support on Mac or PC.
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:15 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Hi David

Thanks for this. A Waifan would be good if it wasn't so expensive!

Is it possible (Speaking from real ignorance here!) to have small program written to interact with Xena and Prospect HD. Something that would just have the basic functions necessary for DDR?

Thanks

Trevor
Old August 1st, 2006, 02:10 PM   #52
Major Player

If you're going to bypass Premiere, and have Xena and CineForm Prospect components talking to each other directly, you're really looking at a false economy.

Essentially you'd need to hire a very very competent DirectShow coder who has oodles of video experience. I would imagine that this will cost more than Premiere Pro.

If your sources are HD-SDI or component based, the Xena-Premiere-Prospect combo is the most cost efficient way of going about things if you are building your own PC.

I am intrigued about your ITX suggestion from a personal standpoint. Do you have any motherboards in mind?
Old August 2nd, 2006, 03:50 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Thanks Richard

I didn't have any particular ITX board in mind, just checking out the options.

Trevor
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:55 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Prospect HD v Sheer video

Hi

Does anyone know what the difference between Prospect HD and Sheer Video? There is a lot of difference in price! But what else?

Thanks

Trevor
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:15 PM   #55
CTO, CineForm Inc.

One is codec, one is post production solution. Sheer is a good archive codec, but doesn't solve much for completing your post-production (particularly under Premiere Pro.) Prospect HD comes with a post-production ready codec, but that is only one element in an integrated suite of tools. To date I believe Prospect HD is the only 10-bit compressed post solution for the Adobe Production Suite -- and it is real time.
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Cineform Prospect and AJA 2K

Will Cineform be updating Prospect to support the new AJA 2K capture card?

I know Prospect already supports the LH, LHe and HS AJA cards but the greater range of features on the new card seem to provide some future proofing for higher end capture (4:4:4 dual link and 2K)
Dean Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #57
CTO, CineForm Inc.

At some point we are likely to add Xena 2K to the supported cards list. No annoucements at this time.
Old August 16th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #58
Trustee

Prospect HD is good, any updates I should get?

Hey David, enjoying our Prospect HD, been cutting lots of stuff with it, and the HDLink ROCKS, us it all the time with the hvx

DO I need any updates to HDLink or Prospect HD? I want to keep with the latest builds..;)
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #59
Trustee

Also, I have noted some jaggy edges on the resize of 720p from the hvx to 1280x720 in HDLink, if I shoot 1080p and downsize to 720p in HDLink I don't see the jaggy edges...Could you find a solution for a higher quality resize from the native 960x720 to the 1280x720?
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #60
Trustee

scratch the last post, I jsut read your blog about 1080p vs. 720p hvx recording, thanks!
Obin Olson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase