Another 1080i deinterlace slowmo... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 13th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Another 1080i deinterlace slowmo...

Here's another HDV 1080i clip shot for slowmo. Turned out really nice.

Used the Nattress Fields to Frames plug-in again.

http://media.dvinfo.net/xlh1/Elton/G...SlowMo16x9.mov Right click/save. 121 MB QT.

I'll take it down after a few days to not use up Chris's bandwidth anymore than necessary.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #2
Regular Crew

wow barlow, that looks really freakin good. what shutter speed was it? also, did you pull focus on them as they ran closer to you?
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rodriguez View Post
wow barlow, that looks really freakin good. what shutter speed was it? also, did you pull focus on them as they ran closer to you?
Thanks Jay. Standard 1/120 shutter (for natural 180 degree emulation when converted to 24fps playback) and yes, on the second shot I did eyeball focus and adjust slightly. That was a really long focal length shot (handheld w/OIS enabled) and the DOF was fairly shallow, so I had to pull focus.

The subjects go a little soft here and there but it was interesting how the shots turned out.

Last edited by Barlow Elton; March 14th, 2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton View Post
I'll take it down after a few days to not use up Chris's bandwidth anymore than necessary.
Nah, don't worry about that Barlow. It's no biggie. Sure appreciate you sharing your clips with us.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Chris, I appreciate the generosity. :)
Old March 15th, 2007, 02:44 PM   #6
Trustee

Very Cool Barlow,

I just wish you were a PC guy. We need some techno dudes like you on our side.
Old March 15th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #7
Major Player

I'll see if I can dig up some info, but one thing I know is that there are a number of shareware/freebie deinterlacing programs for Windows that I'm told are quite good.

Vegas is supposed to be really good with deinterlacing, but in general, the trick for me is to deinterlace and uprez in an uncompressed codec, and then re-integrate in a 24p timeline. I'm really picky about recompression and avoid it as much as I can with the HDV format. I'm pretty sure I could get the same results in other NLE's.
Old March 15th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Barlow,

I have an XH-A1 and Final cut pro. I was curious, what is the step by step recipe you use to achieve that slo-mo?
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #9
Major Player

very nice footage indeed. You have a steady hand. I know OIS can only do so much.
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #10
Major Player

Barlow, quick question

Would it help to shoot 1080i with the 30f option...? Have more frames for the slo mo....?

When we shoot SD..using our Panasonic SDX900...I'll shoot 30p instead of 24p..then do the slo mo because having the additional 6 frames helps smooth out the image. Now...that's "P"...not "F".

Ultimately the slomo helps to keep the "filmic" quality....

Also...why specifically a 1/120th shutter? What's the math behind that?

Thoughts ? THANKS !
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #11
Major Player

Tony--I had a step by step posted some time ago. I don't have the time right now to explain it but it essentially came down to this:

1--Shoot 1080i for slowmo. Fast shutter speeds like 1/120 look better

2--Capture in FCP and put 1080i clips on a 1080 60p (59.94 fps timebase) timeline.

3--Deinterlace the fields into their own standalone frames. 60i=60 fps if you extract the fields properly. I use a Nattress plug-in called Standards Conversion which has a nice feature called "Map Frames/Fields to Frames" which renders quickly and gives good results.

4--Conform the deinterlaced 60 fps clip's playback speed from 59.94 to 23.98. Use Cinema Tools or Nattress to do this.

5--Integrate into a 24p timeline. Deinterlaced clips usually look best downrezzed to 720p or SD. I've gotten away with using them in 1080p timelines however.
Old March 17th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #12
Major Player

Jim--Thanks :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Martorana View Post
Barlow, quick question

Would it help to shoot 1080i with the 30f option...? Have more frames for the slo mo....?
Yes, but I get smoother slower results from deinterlaced 1080i. Think of 1080i HDV as 1440x540 at 60 fps. If you extract the fields properly you get a lot more temporal information that can be worked with. I've even shot raw HD SDI to full frame codecs like Sheer at 1920 x 1080 which gave me even better results than HDV given that I had even more horizontal resolution to play with. But don't worry, HDV can look great as you can see with the posted clip.

Quote:
When we shoot SD..using our Panasonic SDX900...I'll shoot 30p instead of 24p..then do the slo mo because having the additional 6 frames helps smooth out the image. Now...that's "P"...not "F".

Ultimately the slomo helps to keep the "filmic" quality....
Makes sense, but getting 30 F to look like 60p overcrank to 24p is harder to pull off.

Quote:
Also...why specifically a 1/120th shutter? What's the math behind that?
It emulates shooting 60fps for 24 fps playback with a 1/48 shutter feel to the motion blur. It's because 1/120 is equivalent to a 180 degree shutter angle for 60 fps.

HTH,

B
Old March 17th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #13
Major Player

Thanks Barlow. I think I can figure it out with those instructions.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders