uncompressed from XHA-1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 28th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

uncompressed from XHA-1?

Is there a way to capture uncompressed from
an XHA-1? I'm obviously alittle lacking on education.

Thanks,

David
David McGiffert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #2
Major Player

not uncompressed

You can capture through firewire which is HDV format. The G1 has a breakout box panel that you could do uncompressed . But its still very acceptable while editing in FCP or Premiere etc.

Hope this helps u out !

Doug T
Doug Tessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

And the A1's analog component is uncompressed 4:2:2.
Ben Hayflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, ok.

Analog component input it is...
(edit) IF it is 4:2:2

Sometimes I fall off learning curve...

David

Last edited by David McGiffert; April 29th, 2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old April 28th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I was thinking about this since the AJA IO-HD unit would come in handy allowing for on the spot live recording of uncompressed 4:2:2 colorspace via analog imputs utilizing the new apple lossless compression. This would be key since the amount of data transfer is manageable as opposed to the tremendous 1.4 GB/s. My questions is can anyone tell me if the analog out puts of the XH-A1 offer true uncompressed 10 bit 4:2:2 HD video? And if so how well does the converted analog signal look as opposed to the HDV signal. I have huge intrest in this as a future option when technology gets better and the ability to record high motion video without suffering from heavy artifacts as a result of the GOP based compression. Anyone else on the same page or looking in the direction I am?
Mike Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm with you on that one Mike. I'm also trying to see just what the workflow possibilities are for HDV users with the the ioHD- will it allow us to capture using ProRes 422 for all editing before transcoding to MPEG2 or is ProRes best left for effects and titles?

Bill
Bill Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hayflick View Post
In the manual it only states Component Out terminal is 1080i (D3) compatible.

Where can I find confirmation for your claim?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
I've been poking around too Ben and can't find any specific's
to verify that either...

Where?

David
Old April 29th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #9
Major Player

Re D3 1080i

D3 1080i is YPrPb HDTV (EIA 770.3) - EIA/CEA-770.3-A(B) standart, which defines a wideband analog component interface. This is made from HDV/ HD mpeg2 (MP@ML, 4:2:0 HDV), so I think it canť be better (than this compressed HDV).

Uncompressed/lossles compressed signal try get from G1 (if you capture by HD SDI out), but in this class of camcorders it's not mean big difference.
Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #10
Regular Crew

AFAIK the A1's analog component out bypasses the HDV codec altogether, i.e. is pre HDV encoding and yields a 4:2:2 image. Here's a thread which discusses a bit:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...alog+component

I've seen this confirmed on other threads many times. Do a search for analog component here or at dvxuser and see what turns up.
Old April 29th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #11
Major Player

The LIVE camera signal (not VTR-mode HDV playback) via the analog component connector is true uncompressed 4:2:2. I've done my own captures into a Kona card and compared it to the same image from HDV (you can record HDV and uncompressed at the same time) and it does indeed contain more color info--but here's the deal...the difference is very subtle. It's not nearly as radical *perceptually* as a lot of people think it is.

As to whether it's true 10 bit 4:2:2--I think the image is quantized to 8 bit via DSP and then spit out uncompressed, so capturing to a 10 bit codec won't likely help anything.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Exactly. I have read that it's 8-bit 4:2:2 via live capture only. Recording to a Firestore or Mini-DV tape forces HDV encoding, dropping it to 4:2:0.

I saw a comparison of stills from 4:2:2 vs. 4:2:0 (yours, Barlow?), and it's not nearly enough to consider shooting tethered. They were extremely close. If you're in a studio situation where you're shooting tethered, then it might be an option. But for run and gun or more portable work, the HDV 4:2:0 properly handled is 99.9% as stunning.
Old April 30th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
I saw a comparison of stills from 4:2:2 vs. 4:2:0 (yours, Barlow?), and it's not nearly enough to consider shooting tethered. They were extremely close. If you're in a studio situation where you're shooting tethered, then it might be an option. But for run and gun or more portable work, the HDV 4:2:0 properly handled is 99.9% as stunning.
Yeah that was me, and I think you're correct for the most part. The difference is a bit more pronounced if you need to push the image (heavy CC, fx etc) a great deal in post. That's where very good 4:2:2 acquisition can help a great deal. HDV pushed hard and recompressed (conforming or "rebuilding" GOPs) will show the blockies whereas lossless (Sheer, uncompressed) or lightly compressed (ProRes, CineForm) will be clean.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Barlow, Ben an all...

Thanks for all the information...I feel better about
the A1's HDV capability as opposed to worring about
no ability for uncompressed coming out from the camera.

This is a great learning curve. My next hurdle is figuring
out if there is any way to retain that image quality (or close)
from fcp to DVD output. Now THAT's frustrating.

Thank you again,

David
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McGiffert View Post
My next hurdle is figuring out if there is any way to retain that image quality (or close) from fcp to DVD output. Now THAT's frustrating.
DVD Video is standard definition MPEG2 at up to 8Mbps (or thereabouts). You can store other formats of video file on DVD discs, such as the high-def versions of Windows Media or QuickTime, but that's not "normal" DVD Video. There may be one or two players around that will read them, but otherwise you're limited to playing back from a computer, AFAIK. (Please tell me if there's a practical alternative yet.)

For the moment, I'm down-converting in the camera, then editing and authoring in standard def, widescreen DV. There's a fair increase in picture quality over my XM1, and I've not had to upgrade my computer.

Maybe in 18 months or so, the HD-DVD vs BluRay arguments will be resolved and affordable players will be in the shops, but I'm not holding my breath.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders