Recommendations for Console Laptop? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 4th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon's Console questions

I have a Canon XH-A1 on order and would like to get a tapeless/monitor/scope solution. I initially read about DV rack and like what it can do, but can't seem to find solid info on the Canon product. I realize that certain situations, i.e. multiple cameras being used, etc. would lend themselves to DV rack, but I will only be using the Canon.

I am usually my own interviewer and cameraman at the same time, so I need the ability to not only monitor what is being shot as I conduct the interview, but allso all the help I can get during the initial set-up- things like white balance, focus, exposure, audio spikes, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.
Bill Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 04:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Canon's console is a little more expensive than DV Rack, but it allows you access to all the controls on the camera, which DV Rack can't do. What I would suggest is you download the demo's and see for yourself what you prefer.

You can download the Canon Console demo and manual here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=10350
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #3
New Boot

Canon Console minimum requirements

I noticed that the specs call for P4 2.5ghz processor and in a laptop that is still pretty expensive. Has anyone tried running this on a less powerful laptop? I would probably buy it if would run on a 1.6. Any ideas?
Rob Hatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #4
New Boot

Canon Console and Vista

I am considering purchasing a new laptop that has Vista Home Premium pre-loaded. The processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo T5300 running at 1.73 GHz.

According to Canon's minimum requirements, they want to see a P4 2.5 GHz processor or better. If I use 1.73 X 2, I end up with 3.46 GHz which should be enough. I haven't been able to find too much in the way of comparing laptop Core 2 Duo's with Pentium 4's other than someone saying that a Core 2 Duo is a little over twice as fast as a P4 at any given processor speed.

Two questions. Has anyone had any experience runniing Console on a processor of this speed, and has anyone had any success running Console on any flavor of Vista?

Thanks very much,
Richard
Richard Seccombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #5
Wrangler

I think that any Core 2 system ought to do well. At NAB, I asked the Canon Console guy about Vista; his answer was that they are not jumping through all the hoops involved in seeking official Vista certification, but that Console runs fine on it.

So I can't give you an iron-clad guarantee, but my best understanding is that your setup ought to do fine. I think you can still download a trial version of Console and make sure before plunking your coins on the bar.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks very much Pete. I'll give the trial a whirl and report back.
Richard Seccombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #7
Trustee

Recommendations for Console Laptop?

I am wondering which laptop to purchase to use with
Canon's CONSOLE software? Since I might need to buy
four of these, one for each camera, any recommendations
would be helpful putting together a budget.
Old August 30th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Here are the System Requirements for Console:

OS

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition or Professional*
(Installation of Service Pack 2 required)
Proper operation is not guaranteed on Windows XP that has been upgraded
from a previous version.

CPU

Pentium M 1.5GHz or better
Pentium 4 2GHz or better (Pentium 4 3.2GHz or better recommended)

RAM

512 MB or more (1 GB or more recommended)

Free Hard Disk Space

For installation: Free Hard Disk Space: 30 MB or more
For video recording: Free Hard Disk Space: 1 GB or more

File System: NTFS
Recordings cannot be made on FAT32 or FAT16 formatted hard disks.

Display 1024 x 768 or more required
Full Color (32bit) required
Sound Windows XP compatible sound system
Interface IEEE1394 (OHCI compliant)

Some important notes:

*The software cannot be operated on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
* Proper operation is guaranteed only when you are running CONSOLE on Windows XP Home Edition (SP2) or Professional (SP2)
* Proper operation is not guaranteed on a dual CPU PC or on a user-built PC.
* Proper operation is not guaranteed on any particular system, even if it meets the requirements outlined above.
* If you set the video folder to an external hard disk, an error message "Delayed Write Failed" may be displayed while recording onto the hard disk, and the recording may be lost.
* Recordings cannot be saved on a hard disk recognized as [Removable disk].
* If you connect 4 or more devices (including the connected computer and the XL H1 itself) by IEEE1394, CONSOLE will not run properly.
* Proper operation cannot be guaranteed if you are using a repeater.
* If your computer has an IEEE1394 (DV) board/card in addition to the standard IEEE1394 (DV) board/card, or if you have several IEEE1394 (DV) boards/cards added to the computer, the computer may not recognize the camcorder properly. In such case, see Camcorder will not be recognized or controlled. ( Tr-1)
* This software will not operate properly if more than one camcorder is connected to the computer.
* Depending on the setting of the power scheme of the laptop PC, the preview images may not be played back smoothly. Select [Always On] in the [Power Options Properties] window. ( Tr-2)
* When the computer enters stand-by mode or hangs up while running CONSOLE, proper operation is not guaranteed after recovering.
* This software supports both HDV and DV standard recordings. To edit a file recorded in HDV, use editing software that supports the HDV standard.
* This software can also be used with the recordings in 24F (NTSC only). Use an editing software that supports the 24F frame rate.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders