Mic mount, perhaps some caution needed. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 1st, 2008, 08:17 PM   #1
Trustee

Mic mount, perhaps some caution needed.

I've started making my own piece of metalwork to hold the Rode shockmount directly, I'll post a picture or two when I'm done. When I took the original Sony mic holder off the EX1 to measure the hole spacing I noticed this unit is only just held onto the camera by very thin plastic sections where the screws go though it into the audio pod. This is likely a deliberate and sensible piece of design on Sony's part. If the mic does get a hard knock the holder breaks away from the camera rather than cause more expensive to repair damage to the rest of the camera.

On the other hand mounting the full Rode shockmount into the existing mic holder plus a heavy, long shotgun and dead cat could be placing too much load on the mount and cause it to break away when it needn't.

Regardless of which view you take of the design I'd suggest anyone planning on mounting anything more than one of the Sony plastic shotguns to have a good look at just how strong the mounting clamp is, especially how it attaches to the camera.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 07:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Bob, once the EX1 arrives, I will experiment with attaching a Manfrotto Super Clamp 635 to the handle of the cam. Intended use is to mount the onboard monitor. The Super Clamp has a 1/4" thread for an Ultralight Control Systems spud and arm(s), etc, which lead to the monitor. My previous cam had a 1/4" thread in the handle which was handy, although a clamp allows me to position the monitor more forward, as it would be a more useful position and facing the AC pulling focus, and the DP/Cam op using the EX1's onboard LCD for framing.

I don't know if the Super Clamp is a good idea for mounting a mic or other devices, as I have not yet handled an actual EX1. Whilst I have and can mount extra gear via rails, my proposed rig is going to be very busy down there (adapter and additional glass, FF, MB, Wireless Rec(s) and shoulder mount/handles (sometimes)).

I am interested to see your mic mount. This is the Super Clamp, and any opinions welcome. Thanks.
http://www.manfrotto.com/webdav/site...zoom/6/635.jpg
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Major Player

sorry to miss the thread subject, but is the thing you put on a microphone called a "dead cat" for real ?
I never heard of this before. sounds really funny :)
Any other funny name out there ? any real proffessional name ?
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:52 PM   #4
Major Player

Sebastien,

The "dead cat" is the furry cover for the microphone. It is Australian humor - as Rode are an Australian company. They rightfully claim that their wind muff looks like a dead cats fur. Luckily, it doesn't smell like one!
Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:59 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Barry View Post
Bob, once the EX1 arrives, I will experiment with attaching a Manfrotto Super Clamp 635 to the handle of the cam. Intended use is to mount the onboard monitor. The Super Clamp has a 1/4" thread for an Ultralight Control Systems spud and arm(s), etc, which lead to the monitor. My previous cam had a 1/4" thread in the handle which was handy, although a clamp allows me to position the monitor more forward, as it would be a more useful position and facing the AC pulling focus, and the DP/Cam op using the EX1's onboard LCD for framing.

I don't know if the Super Clamp is a good idea for mounting a mic or other devices, as I have not yet handled an actual EX1. Whilst I have and can mount extra gear via rails, my proposed rig is going to be very busy down there (adapter and additional glass, FF, MB, Wireless Rec(s) and shoulder mount/handles (sometimes)).

I am interested to see your mic mount. This is the Super Clamp, and any opinions welcome. Thanks.
http://www.manfrotto.com/webdav/site...zoom/6/635.jpg

We have many Superclamps and use them a lot for mounting lights and general grips duty. I don't think it's the ideal gizmo for attaching things to a camera handle though. There's a number of clamps made specifically for that job around, if nothing else they're a lot lighter than the Superclamp.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:05 AM   #6
Trustee

My EX1 Mic Mount

I fashioned the mount to attach a Rode shock mount directly to the EX1 audio pod from a length of 40mm x 3mm Aluminium bar. 2mm material would be equally suitable. The two spacers are from the original Rode mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Mic mount, perhaps some caution needed.-ex1-mic-mount.jpg  
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:37 AM   #7
Trustee

mine snapped off about three weeks ago and am awaiting a replacement. you are right. it is very flimsy for a reason, doesn't stop it from being very annoying as it is easy to break.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:17 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Bob - very impressive piece of Aussie invention!

I haven't broken my mount yet, but I was quite disappointed that my SONY half shotgun ECM-678 mic flops around in the holder as if Sony had never heard of Sony, whereas the Z1 had a rubber sleeve insert which gripped the ECM-678 perfectly.
Naturally, I've "borrowed" the Z1 rubber insert for the EX1 for the time being, but with a camera of this class it's disappointing to have to improvise.
Peter Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:36 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Bob, mic mount looks solid. Any ideas for mounting/stacking a second G2 on the hot shoe or do you have alternative advice?

Indeed, the Super Clamp is far from ideal. I would prefer a smaller clamp that spreads more along the length of the handle to distribute the monitor weight. I will have to look for a better solution.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 05:32 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Barry View Post
Bob, mic mount looks solid. Any ideas for mounting/stacking a second G2 on the hot shoe or do you have alternative advice?

Indeed, the Super Clamp is far from ideal. I would prefer a smaller clamp that spreads more along the length of the handle to distribute the monitor weight. I will have to look for a better solution.
Two fit two G2s onto one hotshoe we use this hot shoe extension from Rycote:
http://www.rycote.com/products/acces.../hot_shoe_ext/

I'll try to find out where we got the clamp on threaded adaptors for our cameras. There's a fairly expensive one that's a very well made and a very neat unit and another cheaper solution but I just don't remember who makes either of them.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:32 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Bob, the hot shoe extension looks good. The other clamp that comes to mind is a Mini Cardellini clamp, with 3/8 thread. I can convert the 3/8 to 1/4 taking from my Noga kit, then rig up my Ultralight arm configuration. I'll talk to you next week about various items. Thanks for all your help.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:26 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
I fashioned the mount to attach a Rode shock mount directly to the EX1 audio pod from a length of 40mm x 3mm Aluminium bar. 2mm material would be equally suitable. The two spacers are from the original Rode mount.
Hello, you are crazy, but this is a good idea for use high end microphones without a "Ton Meister".
I hope, in future you don't have problems with waranty etc.
Alessandro Zumstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #13
New Boot

mic mount adapter for JVC GY-HD200

I have a JVC HD200 which I carry in a PortaBrace CTC3 bag. I'm looking to get rid of the stock mic and get a Rode Stereo VideoMic. It looks like I'll have to figure out a way to make that mount ride lower on the camera in order to allow the whole rig to fit into the bag without detaching the mic every time. Anyone have any recommendations?
Tim J. Matteson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 05:39 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi Bob,

Nice solution !
I wish I would have seen your thread and posted earlier--check out The J-Rod also which will allow a shock mount and a radio receiver to both be mounted on the EX !

I don't think you would have any issues with covered repairs with your mount on. May be just as easy to switch it back though prior to bringing it to Sony if necessary.

Regards.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 06:02 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Rhode View Post
Hi Bob,

Nice solution !
I wish I would have seen your thread and posted earlier--check out The J-Rod also which will allow a shock mount and a radio receiver to both be mounted on the EX !

I don't think you would have any issues with covered repairs with your mount on. May be just as easy to switch it back though prior to bringing it to Sony if necessary.

Regards.
I'll bet good money the J-Rod will break the EX1's mic holder, the mic holder can barely hold the weight of a Rode shotgun without breaking. We've had two mic holders on Z1s break and the Z1 has a more robust holder than the EX1. Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at the J-Rod. It's not the designers fault that the mic holder is so flimsy.

For wireless receivers we'll be hanging them off the back of Zacuto rigs or else off the existing cold shoe.

Anyway thanks for reminding me about my mic holder, I've got a few more EX1s that need me to make my custom job for them, just not enough hours in the day.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds