The Complete Guide to ProHD DVD (Volume 1) available now - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 21st, 2008, 05:44 PM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Kolitz View Post
However, I did have a very hard time (basically impossible) reading the text on your computer screen, when you were working in an NLE -- but this may be because my own monitor is set to 1920 x 1200 resolution. However, I imagine many in your intended audience may be viewing this content on monitors set to high resolutions, so this might end up being a problem for your NLE tutorials.
Good call Brent.

I originally created that tutorial for the DVD so I will go back and do close-ups of the FCP screens for the smaller internet version.
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #17
Major Player

Old Fart : New Tricks

For that reason (wanting everything bigger) I just saved and opened them in the QT Player, viewed at 2x. I learned some stuff! That's always good =D

..and as soon as my lazy clients pay me, I'll be ordering this as well. I have 5 interns at the moment, with a sixth on the horizon ;=)

Last edited by Jeffrey Butler; April 24th, 2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: (title. haha.)
Jeffrey Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #18
Major Player

Wow Tim. Just got the DVD. Looked over the main menu and got sucked in to the depth of field section instantly. Can I say this on here - Holy $&*%# you did a great job visually explaining all the angles on this subject. I'd go through more sections now but I need to be wide awake for this..

Thanks for all the work you put into this DVD. Tremendous value.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Congratulations, Tim. I just received your DVD. It is outstanding and will be very helpful to anyone who seriously seeks excellence in camera operation.
Regards,
Ken Maxwell
Kennedy Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Tim,

The DVD arrived today -- thanks so much! (Now just waiting for my 1-year-old to take a nap long enough for me to watch this and take it all in...)

I couldn't resist loading it up for a second, though, and it looks fantastic.

Thanks again,
Brent
Brent Kolitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #21
Regular Crew

This is great news! Can't wait for the PAL version!

Thanks for your fine work Tim!!!
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 09:52 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Hey Tim,

Received the DVD today, thanks!
Marc Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 11:03 AM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Jayson View Post
Hey Tim,

Received the DVD today, thanks!
Wow. That was shipped April 24th from Canada so that isn't bad at all. One week for halfway around the world!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:23 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
Wow. That was shipped April 24th from Canada so that isn't bad at all. One week for halfway around the world!
Tim, that's not fair-mine was shipped the 23rd and it's still not here. And I'm in New York City. What's up with that?
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:20 PM   #25
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaadgy Akanni View Post
Tim, that's not fair-mine was shipped the 23rd and it's still not here. And I'm in New York City. What's up with that?
I can't speak for the USPS. The odd thing is that some customers in California received theirs in under 3 days. It's probably luck of the draw with USPS nowadays.
It is supposed to be 4-7 business days. That means your shipment should arrive today or Monday. We say "allow up to two weeks" just incase.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:58 PM   #26
Major Player

Strike that..

I just went down to my mailbox and found the DVD; so everything's fine. Thank you Tim:-)
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #27
Regular Crew

I got my DVD the day before yesterday.

VERY IMPRESSED.

It was well worth the money, and will take me some time to go through it all. Thank you so much for being so thorough, detailed, descriptive, and for making it all available to us.
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
DVD previews look good, Tim. Looking forward to getting mine soon.

Question for you: does the DVD discuss use of your wonderful scene files? I'm expecting my order to go thru this week for my new 200 and I don't have a LOT of time to make some serious decisions about how to shoot: native or ultrawide. I do have time to do grading in post, just not sure what the absolute best work flow is.
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #29
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Question for you: does the DVD discuss use of your wonderful scene files? ... native or ultrawide. I do have time to do grading in post, just not sure what the absolute best work flow is.
I discuss and demonstrate the effects of each and every control found in the CAMERA PROCESS menu.
The printable pdfs with all of my scene files are also on the DVD-ROM portion of the DVD. I added them in case anyone wanted to laminate and keep them with their camera rig.

I'm quite confident in the HD200 wide latitude scene file being the best way to go for colour correction in post. I use it all the time. I made some matrix adjustments in there that I had not done on the original HD100 versions, and the extra bit of black stretch gives you room to underexpose an additional 1/3 stop or so and still retain some shadow details.

Ultimately though it is really best for you to use my scene files as a starting point and then make adjustments that suite your lighting style. I try to light within a 5 stop range and adjust the contrast in post, which is very limiting in some locations or natural light conditions. Some people aren't comfortable working that way and prefer a WYSIWYG approach.
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #30
Major Player

Dear Tim,
I can't wait for the PAL version so I placed my order today. I presume that I will be able to see it on my computer or on the multiregion dvd player that I have.
Let's see, how lucky am I ? How many days for shipping to Romania?!
Thanks again,
Eugen
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems