FireStore FS-1 Distortion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old October 16th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #1
Tourist

FireStore FS-1 Distortion

Taping with XL1S thru FS-1 to Lacie 250GB HD; On playback, all captured video files have these "blocky" distortions that come in and out. Bright green tiny rectangles here and there, video is no good.

Capturing direct from the camera to PowerBook is fine; plugged Lacie HD into PowerBook and transferred .avi's there just to see, played back fine from Lacie HD.

Have reformatted (FAT32 as FireStore says) the Lacie several times; distortion still there. FireStore website FAQ does not explain. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any assistance...

ben
Ben Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2004, 11:32 PM   #2
Focus Enhancements

Dear Ben,

Something is definitely wrong with your FS-1 or the setup. This should not be happening. I suggest you contact the Focus support team at support@focusinfo.com or call 408-370-9963.

Hope that helps,
Matt McEwen
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 01:32 PM   #3
New Boot

FS1

I haven't had that problem. I have (and still) problems with the drives I was using "freezing up" or not being recognized for some reason. It is a real weird and annoying issue. I have just started using my FS - 3 Drives, they seem to work great. That way I don't lose anything. I really like these products, it is going to make my life easier. I hope to find a drive that works with my FS 1. Can anyone recommend a drive that works with the FS 1 everytime? I want to try and use my FS 3 drives only with my FS 3 units. We use the matrox avi file. Thanks for your help..

sc
Old July 6th, 2005, 08:12 AM   #4
New Boot

fs-1 distortion

Hi Ben

I'm also getting artifacts in FS-1 recording. They are like just like the ones you have described. I tried many things apart from experimenting with a different firewire hard drive enclosure but without any luck. How did you manage to solve the distorted recording you came across?

I contacted the Focus support and they are of the opinion that the firestore might have a faulty cicuitry.

Many thanks
Dinesh Patel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #5
Tourist

Firestore Doesn't like LaCies

I sent my firestore back to Focus Enhancements; I told them that I had bought the FS-1 and 4 or 5 LaCie D2 hard drives Lacies are good, and because they have a picture of someone using the FS-1 with a Lacie on THEIR WEBSITE! It's still there, I think! But if you talk to their technical support they will tell you they don't like Lacies, etc. So I explained my predicament and they agreed to look at it. I sent it in, received it back about a month and a half later with no note or explanation and absolutely no change in the performance.

I borrowed a Maxtor external hard drive and it works finally, no blocky distortion. The FS-1 doesn't work with Lacies! That is all I know. I have to buy more hard drives. Or get a different direct-to-disk recorder. Good luck with your FS-1. If nothing else send it in, especially if it is still under warranty.
Ben Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #6
New Boot

I am getting similar tiny green rectangles that you were getting. My FS-1 isn't under warranty. Having read your mail, I'm now reluctant to send it for repair as you said that there was no change in the performance when you got your firestore back from Focus.

I'm using Mapower firewire enclosure which, just like La Cie drives, has Oxford 9xx firewire bridge chips which make me think that the artifact I get in recording might be due to incompatibility between the Firestore and Oxford chips. Your new extrenal hard drive solved your problem. Can you please tell me what firewire bridge chip your external hard drive uses or what particular Maxtor extrenal drive you are using? Many thanks
Dinesh Patel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 10:11 AM   #7
New Boot

Which Maxtor External Drive?

Hi Ben

Could you please let me know which Maxtor External Hard Drive made the distortions in your FS-1 recording go away. I'm having the same problem and you have a solution. I would greatly appreciate if you would let me know. Many thanks

Best Regards
Dinesh
Dinesh Patel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore