DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 10th, 2005, 01:30 AM   #1
New Boot

M2T files and Final Cut Pro

How can I use these files (from a firestore fs-4 pro HD recorder) in FCP? Sorry if this has come up before, but for some reason I'm unable to search in these forums.
Joe Moulins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #2
New Boot

Software solution to M2T file question??

Is there a software solution that will convert the Firestore's M2t files into the same quicktime format created when transfering from the Sony Z1U to final cut via firewire?
Old November 15th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #3
Wrangler

Yes, use MPEGstreamclip to batch convert m2t to any other quicktime format.
http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html

However, you should be able to just set the Firestore to write Quicktime files, and then you won't have this issue.
I haven't received a FS-4 with the HDV upgrade yet, so I'm not sure if this is still possible with HDV.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 02:23 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Yes, use MPEGstreamclip to batch convert m2t to any other quicktime format.
http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html

However, you should be able to just set the Firestore to write Quicktime files, and then you won't have this issue.
I haven't received a FS-4 with the HDV upgrade yet, so I'm not sure if this is still possible with HDV.

There is no quicktime setting for HDV in the firestore, and I understand the streamclip-converted files don't keep their timecode.
Old November 19th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Moulins
There is no quicktime setting for HDV in the firestore, and I understand the streamclip-converted files don't keep their timecode.
But isn't TC irrelevant with a HD recording device? (That is, unless you're doing multi-cam where the time code is used to sync the different cams). After all you're not going to recapture from tape are you - simply re-transfer/demux the files direct from the disc and re-connect.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 02:18 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Pank
But isn't TC irrelevant with a HD recording device? (That is, unless you're doing multi-cam where the time code is used to sync the different cams). After all you're not going to recapture from tape are you - simply re-transfer/demux the files direct from the disc and re-connect.

Good point, but I'm a little wary about beginning work on a long project without having the safety net of timecode pointing to the backup tapes. - I've been recording to the FS-4, and to mini-dv tapes.

Also, I'm not sure if the missing timecode will lead to problems further along the postproduction road...
Old November 22nd, 2005, 04:58 PM   #7
Trustee

timecode is mandatory for when you have to re-import all the footage into the previously-edited project, because it needs to be re-edited.

think about your workflow... i shoot tapeless mode only, then have the fs-4 playback all the clips at once over firewire, recording the output to a tape deck... that way the entire shoot is backed up, and i'd imagine that timecode is written to the tape as part of the lossless recording process.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 02:10 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Moulins
HDVxDV converted clips now retain the timecode. You can download the free trial to make sure it works for you.

www.hdvxdv.com
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Euritt

think about your workflow... i shoot tapeless mode only, then have the fs-4 playback all the clips at once over firewire, recording the output to a tape deck... .
Dan, how do you make the FS-4 play back all clips at once? Focus support sent me instructions on how to set up the FS-4 so that FCP sees it as a deck, allowing capture of the files through firewire...works fine except that I can't see a way to capture more than one file at a time, and there doesn't appear to be a way to choose which files you capture. For now, I'd settle for being able to batch capture everything on the hard drive in one go.
Old November 25th, 2005, 04:47 AM   #10
Major Player

Batch Add TC http://www.dharmafilm.com/sebskytools/ might be able to add TC to your quicktime files
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #11
Trustee

the fs-4 will play 'em all back in a row with the "play all" menu selection, in the fs-4 setup menu... of course i'm talking about using the fs-4 play buttons, not controlling playback with the computer.

when the fs-4 is plugged in to a computer via it's computer i/o port, it's just another hard drive... but if it's plugged into your mac thru it's dv i/o port, it should look and perform like another dv tape deck... pc users cannot do that, because we do not have a winxp software driver for it, so you have an advantage there... i think that it was daniel who suggested in that other thread to simply hit the fs-4 play button, and see if the mac can view the fs-4 output as if it were a live stream from a deck, and capture the footage that way... without issuing any type of control command to the fs-4 from the mac.

that's how i capture all the fs-4 clips at once to dv tape, via the dv i/o port of the fs-4, hooked up to a dv tape deck or camera.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #12
Regular Crew

sorry to bring up an old topic but i've recently came across this issue as well and with some research i learned that focus has a firmware updater that makes the hdv file quicktime. its $30 on their site.
Michael McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael McQueen View Post
sorry to bring up an old topic but i've recently came across this issue as well and with some research i learned that focus has a firmware updater that makes the hdv file quicktime. its $30 on their site.
whats the url to the focus website?
Matias Baridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Focus Enhancements
Old July 9th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #15
Trustee

I use this:ClipWrap
And it works as it just re-wraps the files really quickly.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite