glare: CMOS or lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 13th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #1
Inner Circle

glare: CMOS or lens?

When shooting against the (low and strong) sunshine, I'm getting glaring artefacts like in the attached snapshots. What's to blame: the CMOS chips, or the lens? If the latter, is it normal with the V1, or is my unit' lens at fault (the lens were clean)? TIA!
Attached Thumbnails
glare: CMOS or lens?-image1.jpg   glare: CMOS or lens?-image2.jpg  

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; March 13th, 2007 at 01:59 PM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Looks like lens flare. That shape on picture 2 is the aperture iris. It is not uncommon to have this occur, in my opinion, when you have sunlight direct on your lens. I am attaching one that comes from my Sony FX1 as an example..
Attached Thumbnails
glare: CMOS or lens?-flare-1.bmp  
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #3
Video Bear

The second one is a pretty obvious lens flare. Almost all lenses will produce lens flares when pointed at bright light sources. It's so common that 3D animation programs like LightWave include the option to create lens flares in CGI scenes...the "defect" adds an element of realism.

The spots in the first one could also be lens flares, or could be specks of dust on the front element...not sure.

Anyway, these things look like pretty normal artifacts of optics...I would not be too quick to blame the particular camera.
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks for the feedback. Again, even though I agree this is normal when shooting against a bright light source, the effect was never that pronounced with the HC1 I used to have!
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #5

that's because the HC1 has a smaller lens, has a bigger overall/relative hood, and may be masking the flare.
Wait'll you put a wide lens on the V1 (or any other camcorder).
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #6
New Boot

Piotr - were you using any lens filters such as a UV filter?
Mike Dunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #7
Inner Circle

No, Mike - nothing on the lens; why?
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #8
Major Player

...because using filters adds more reflective surfaces and can increase flare probs and also can reduce contrast.

IMO those shots exhibit entirely normal lens flare when you're shooting into the light. I don't think there's anything to be concerned about.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I've taken to noticing lens flare in movies - don't know if it's added in or on the film to start with, but more than a few times I've seen it pretty much just like in your stills! I'd say it's a normal thing... perhaps even usable as and effect if you could learn to tame it!

DB>)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #10
Major Player

Piotr

Try using a sun shade this will reduce the flare.
Attached Images

Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #11
Major Player

Hey Brian,

Do you happen to have those pictures in a higher quality?
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Irving View Post
Hey Brian,

Do you happen to have those pictures in a higher quality?
YES I wil repost the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
glare: CMOS or lens?-c1.jpg   glare: CMOS or lens?-c2.jpg  

Old March 15th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #13
Major Player

Hey you've got some really useful/practical accessories.

Can you list some of those things we're seeing?
I noticed that you chose not to use the mic mount on the V1U but you're still using the supplied mic. Was that just done to reduce vibration, or was there another reason?

I'm using a Rode NT3 mounted with an SM5 shock mount but it really does add a lot of weight to the overall package. How heavy is the shock mount you're using?

That sun shade is a great idea. I noticed in a lot of Sony's promo pics for the V1U that they had a matte box on it, but it doesn't seem to be an official Sony accessory. I wonder which matte box or sun shade would fit the V1U nicely.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #14
Major Player

I am using a J-Rode that I modified to hold the original Sony mic and the wireless mic. The sunshade is mounted to the original Sony lens hood using a Hama flash mount. The Sun shade (purchased on Ebay) mounting shaft had to be machined to have of the original length to fit in the Hama Flash Mount. The camera light is a 50w-100w Bescor KLK-50H Light with battery pack. fully dressed I think the came is still lighter than my Z1.
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #15
Regular Crew

The rig looks good Brian....I am glad The J-Rod is working out for you so well. You can check them out at www.thej-rod.com

Regards.

Last edited by Jeff Rhode; March 17th, 2007 at 02:47 AM.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7