Cineform capture with the Nikon D90 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 31st, 2008, 08:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Cineform capture with the Nikon D90

Seeing that this has not been posted and tons of people are asking about this on the web. Can any of the HDMI cards i.e. Blackmagic etc with Cineform capture the HDMI signal of the Nikon D90 ?
It outputs video on the HDMI port - modes listed are 720P and 1080i. I think though that the 1080i is standard 24fps as the camera does not seem to generate anything except 24P.
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 09:36 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

If someone would donate a D90, we will try it out. :) I expect it would work fine.
Old September 1st, 2008, 07:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anmol Mishra View Post
It outputs video on the HDMI port - modes listed are 720P and 1080i. I think though that the 1080i is standard 24fps as the camera does not seem to generate anything except 24P.
Do you mean 1080i at 48 interlaced fields/sec. Never heard of this before. I don't think Cineform currently has any card that can capture 48i in any level of color sampling, doesn't it?

Wacharapong
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 08:40 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Likely adds pulldown so 24p goes over 60i for wider display compatibility. All the CineForm tools can remove pulldown to restore 24p.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Currently, Nikon LiveView outputs the display information overlays with no way to turn them off. I hope Nikon changes that. Darn it. I just sold my Black Magic Intensity card because I never used it.

Likely, the D90 is a little short of what we're looking for. It does, however, beat the quality of most of the P&S cameras. What we want is real downsampling from 12MP to 1080/720p as well as a video compression engine that is 30-40 MBps.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:21 PM   #6
Major Player

Hopefully soon

Have mentioned your offer on a couple of threads. Hopefully David will get one soon..

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
If someone would donate a D90, we will try it out. :) I expect it would work fine.
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #7
Trustee

Correct me if I am wrong, but direct HDMi out, regardless of overlay, would still suffer from the poor down sampling that this cam suffers from. The poor aliasing isn't a result of the codec compression, but just the way the cam works, and HDMi out won't fix this. Right?
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Correct, if there is aliasing, not compression issues, we can't fix that.
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #9
Major Player

Aliasing or compression

The uncompressed or Cineform capture is exactly to check if the problems are aliasing or compression based. The jury is still out on that..
If it is compression, you have a 35mm sensor with excellend bokeh, dynamic range and low light capacity for 1K and possibly lower soon.
Pair it up with a Cineform capture solution and you have a setup that rivals Red at about 2K.

Thats why I am so excited about this..David, I live in Sydney and have no access to the camera. Would you mind getting one for a test from a Best Buy or a Circuit City ? From the posts and the hype about this camera, I can also see you that it will sell tons more Cineform licenses than the HV20/HV30 have done.

IF the issue is compression and the HDMI out is a relatively pure signal, its the end of 35mm adapters and the issues they present..

Think about it - People pay 000's for a 35mm adapter and rails and matte boxes..The cost that this brings is absolutely nothing.
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #10
Major Player

Check this footage

Flowers by D90 on Vimeo

Besides the compression issues, people are tweaking it in different ways. Look at the dynamic range, bokeh, etc.
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #11
Major Player

Check this long thread for the hype about this camera

The end of 35mm adapers and hv20s.... - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

about 3 weeks About 2000 posts - possibly 100K+ views. Maybe the fastest thread in history.
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase