Mount for AT825 on my camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 13th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #1
New Boot

Mount for AT825 on my camera?

Hi,

I have a GL2 and I'm looking for a decent stereomicrophone. I think I will go for the AT825 (recording concerts etc), but I'm wondering about the options I have to mount it on my GL2? Maybe the Röde SM3 will do the trick? But if you guys have any suggestions on what mounts that fits best with this combination, I would really appreciate some advices and comments. Thanks.

All the best
Ronnie
Ronnie Lindqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #2
DVCreators.Net

The RODE SM3 shockmount is a good choice. There's also the Sennheiser MZSCAM, http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...ansid=USMZSCAM
and a few options from K-tek.
http://mklemme.com/pole/dvcam.html

Myself? I'd go with Bracket1 with the over the camera accessory mount and a RODE SM3. You'll be getting the mic further away from the tape transport/zoom motor noise of the camera and you'll still have the original hot shoe on the camera for an on-camera light or wireless receiver.
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Ronnie,

Either pay the $$$ for a Pre-made Shock Mount, or make your own, as some of us have.

Do a search for "DIY" Shock Mounts.

PM me if you'd like Pics of the one's I've made up for cheap.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for your advice.
Guy: I'm also have an Beachtek (DXA-4p) at the bottom of my camera. Is it still possible (and advisible) to use the bracket1? I really would love to get the mic a bit away from the camera if the Rode SM3 isn't enough. Sometimes the recordings are really dynamic (classical and jazz concerts).

Cheers
Ronnie
Ronnie Lindqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #5
DVCreators.Net

LOL. I had a feeling you were going to say that. You would mount the BeachTek DXA-4P under the Bracket1HD.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 02:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Canon XH-A1 & AT-822 owner with a similar question

I just purchased an Audio Technica AT-822 and would like to use it with my recently purchased Canon XH-A1. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but would a lot of the advice in this thread apply to me? I know we're discussing an AT-825 and a GL2.

I was thinking of just getting (I believe) a 3/8" adapter to just put my mic into the current opening on the camera. Should I perhaps do a J-Rod or something to get the mic away from the recording mechanism?

Not sure if this is relevant, but I'd like to use a mic w/ my camera some of the time. Other times, I'd like to use my AT822 with either my Boom Pole (a recently purchased K-tek 110CCR) or a mini-tripod (especially if I'm recording stand-up comedy), in both cases, sending the audio to my my Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD Minidisc.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:16 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahryar Rizvi View Post
I just purchased an Audio Technica AT-822 and would like to use it with my recently purchased Canon XH-A1. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but would a lot of the advice in this thread apply to me? I know we're discussing an AT-825 and a GL2.

I was thinking of just getting (I believe) a 3/8" adapter to just put my mic into the current opening on the camera. Should I perhaps do a J-Rod or something to get the mic away from the recording mechanism?

Not sure if this is relevant, but I'd like to use a mic w/ my camera some of the time. Other times, I'd like to use my AT822 with either my Boom Pole (a recently purchased K-tek 110CCR) or a mini-tripod (especially if I'm recording stand-up comedy), in both cases, sending the audio to my my Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD Minidisc.
The AT822 is supposed to ship with a pair of cables, one ending in a 3.5mm TRS stereo plug and the other ending in a pair of 3.5 TS mono plugs (L & R channels). It should plug right in to both your camera's and the MD recorder's 3.5mm mic jacks.
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
The AT822 is supposed to ship with a pair of cables, one ending in a 3.5mm TRS stereo plug and the other ending in a pair of 3.5 TS mono plugs (L & R channels). It should plug right in to both your camera's and the MD recorder's 3.5mm mic jacks.
hey steve, i actually bought my AT-822 used and it only came with a cable that becomes 3.5mm. I believe this is all it comes with though, i don't think it comes with the two mono plugs. Is this an adapter i could and should get? The XH-A1 has a 3.5mm mic input though i thought (i still haven't had a chance to really use it yet).

I'm also still looking to find out everything i need to order to use my at-822 with my xh-a1. I see the SM3 recommended here for use with the GL2 and the at-825. In another thread, the SM4 was specifical recommended to me for my needs. I'd like to maybe take the mic further away from the tape mechanism if it's recommended. Any advice would be appreciated - i have my at-822, i have my xh-a1, just need to figure out how to put them together
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:19 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
hey steve, i actually bought my AT-822 used and it only came with a cable that becomes 3.5mm. I believe this is all it comes with though, i don't think it comes with the two mono plugs. Is this an adapter i could and should get? The XH-A1 has a 3.5mm mic input though i thought (i still haven't had a chance to really use it yet).

I'm also still looking to find out everything i need to order to use my at-822 with my xh-a1. I see the SM3 recommended here for use with the GL2 and the at-825. In another thread, the SM4 was specifical recommended to me for my needs. I'd like to maybe take the mic further away from the tape mechanism if it's recommended. Any advice would be appreciated - i have my at-822, i have my xh-a1, just need to figure out how to put them together
`I don't have either mic or camera but AFAIK you should be able to plug the 3.5 mm plug from the mic directly into the camera's 3.5mm jack. According to the AT site you should have received two cables as standard equiipment.
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
`I don't have either mic or camera but AFAIK you should be able to plug the 3.5 mm plug from the mic directly into the camera's 3.5mm jack. According to the AT site you should have received two cables as standard equiipment.
Steve,

Yes, I believe you're right. Looks like I'm missing a few accessories (prob why I was able to get it for $125 used). Looking at B&H Photo's description, I'm missing:

* Gun Grip Snap in Stand Clamp
* Camera Shoe Mount Adapter
* (AT8120) Windscreen
* 10' (3 m) Cable (XLRF-Type to Two Mono 3.5 mm Mini-Plugs) Soft Protective Pouch

Hopefully I'll be able to live without these items. Thanks for letting me know.
Old September 26th, 2008, 07:36 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Steve,

Yes, I believe you're right. Looks like I'm missing a few accessories (prob why I was able to get it for $125 used). Looking at B&H Photo's description, I'm missing:

* Gun Grip Snap in Stand Clamp
* Camera Shoe Mount Adapter
* (AT8120) Windscreen
* 10' (3 m) Cable (XLRF-Type to Two Mono 3.5 mm Mini-Plugs) Soft Protective Pouch

Hopefully I'll be able to live without these items. Thanks for letting me know.
If you have the 'stock' XLRF to 3.5mm TRS cable you should be able to plug it directly into a standard stereo external mic jack without needing any adapters or anything.
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
If you have the 'stock' XLRF to 3.5mm TRS cable you should be able to plug it directly into a standard stereo external mic jack without needing any adapters or anything.
Thanks for this reply and all your other replies steve. Much appreciated.

Hopefully i can get some help with the mounts i need and i'll be all set
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thanks for this reply and all your other replies steve. Much appreciated.

Hopefully i can get some help with the mounts i need and i'll be all set

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio