2 low cost HD field monitors - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old September 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #31
Inner Circle

manhattanlcd provides an A/C adapter power supply with plug and a separate plug+unterminated wire for those needing a connection to a battery. So, they're done their job. The Tekkeon kit provides a number of plugs (all of which connect to the same generic Tekkeon plug) for connection to their battery. The trouble in this case is that the closest fit isn't close enough, and the Tekkeon battery-to-device cable is on the short side for my use. I hope that's clear. My plan is to cutoff the Tekkeon generic plug end and splice in that provided by manhattanlcd.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Quite clear Gints, thanks for the explanation.
Matt Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Is there an underscan function? I've always felt this to be a pretty critical feature for monitoring in the field.
Eugene Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #34
Regular Crew

I've been building a couple of these kits from Manhattan LCD . Just finished the 7.2" Sharp with Pixelworks display controller. It does map 1:1. The Pixelworks board is the one to get, allows for full color control (H,S,B) too.
Here's my work on the 10.9" kit
Imago Metrics:Toshiba 10.9" DIY Enclosure
The MST board is much more basic and neither allows 1:1 mapping or color control/
M. Paul El-Darwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 03:12 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Paul El-Darwish View Post
I've been building a couple of these kits from Manhattan LCD . Just finished the 7.2" Sharp with Pixelworks display controller. It does map 1:1. The Pixelworks board is the one to get, allows for full color control (H,S,B) too.
Here's my work on the 10.9" kit
Imago Metrics:Toshiba 10.9" DIY Enclosure
The MST board is much more basic and neither allows 1:1 mapping or color control/
I have the Manhattan LCD HD monitor product. How do I tell which board I have? Great review and DIY tutorial. Very impressive work.
Old September 26th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #36
New Boot

voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kessler View Post
Wow just what i'm looking for guy's, here the question I have is there a tap wire so I can plug in to my anton bauer brick? and is the 1to1 ratio in all modes.

shawn

caution on the AB bricks ... most bricks fully charged are actually more than 12v ... unless the monitor is rated for a range up to, say 15v, a fully charged brick could cause troubles or failures.
Michael Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Thanks for the recognition.
Oh gosh! Turn them on. The MST board does not allow color calibration- just some simple color presets. The Pixelworks display just rocks! You can color calibrate RGB, HSB and Contrast and save them as a custom preset, to match BROADCAST standards!!! This is key in accurate monitoring of your video, something Directors appreciate.
The Pixelworks board also has 2 sets of inputs- HDMI & Component, for PIP display. Nice in a two camera situation! In fact a Director would benefit from such a board in field shoots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
I have the Manhattan LCD HD monitor product. How do I tell which board I have? Great review and DIY tutorial. Very impressive work.
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #38
Major Player

I had assumed the manhattanlcd and smallhd both used the mst controller based on the configuration (and tuner).

It sounds like Gints is happy, so he probably wouldnt mess with it, but the mst board has a hidden menu which allows you to adjust rgb, as well as a bunch of stuff that you'd probably be better off not adjusting. If you type "2008" into the remote, it supposedly shows you the hidden menu.

If you try this and it works and the menu is useful at all, let us know.

cheers,
-a
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dean View Post
... but the mst board has a hidden menu which allows you to adjust rgb, as well as a bunch of stuff that you'd probably be better off not adjusting. If you type "2008" into the remote, it supposedly shows you the hidden menu.
I tried the hidden menu with the "2008" sequence, and it works. There are some RGB settings [0..127] for each component in a Color Temperature menu.

My troubles with the Tekkeon connector are over. There was another plug (yellow band, others have a black band) that fit better than the black-banded one. Initially, I just rifled through the connectors and took the first that fit.

There are some scaling options that show up when the input is 480i but not 1080i. Since my warranty is voided if I break the seals, I'd prefer not to open the manhattanlcd. Would any of your DIYers know the model#? I'd like to download a manual somewhere. The manhattanlcd package did not include a manual, and I haven't received a reply to this question from tech support.

I used this monitor for a couple of hours yesterday. There seems to be a significant red color shift, which is typical for LCD panels. I attached the monitor using a sturdy Delvcam swivel mount and the camcorder handle clamp from the GlideCam LowMode FX kit. It was great to swivel the LCD forward while the operator (my brother) used the monitor facing backward. Still, such a tall monitor will wiggle on the mounting screw. I think two mount points are needed. Where would I begin to look for such a u-shaped clamp? What is that category called?

Focusing was much easier on this monitor than on Sony EX1's viewfinder or LCD, but I still found myself relying on the blue-colored "peaking" function. After reviewing my footage on a big TV, I was happy with the focusing. Still, it is guesswork while shooting. The Expanded View mode would really help by saving the trouble to zoom in, focus, then zoom out and pray that the camera is truly zoom-through.

Here are a few features I'd like to see from camcorder makes:
1) Peaking function that works regardless of signal level. If your sharpes edges are not at maximum brightness, they don't register as well or as all.
2) Picture-in-Picture. Large picture would be ExpandedView mode while small corner picture would full view. Either that or programmable video routing of either view to LCD and/or video output.
3) Pannable ExpandedView mode.

I'm still thinking that a 720p or 1080i 15" monitor is what you need, though that isn't a mobile solution.
Old September 28th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Thanks for posting the information about the "secret" menu for the RGB adjustments.

This really helped dial in the color on the SmallHD monitor.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
I tried the hidden menu with the "2008" sequence, and it works.
Please tell us more. what buttons did you punch and in which sequence? What menus showed up on screen and when?
Thanks!
Old September 29th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #42
Major Player

post #38 above
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 03:11 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Paul El-Darwish View Post
Please tell us more. what buttons did you punch and in which sequence? What menus showed up on screen and when?
Thanks!
I pressed "2008" on the remote to get the "secret" menu as Andrew suggested. Pardon the heavy JPG artifacting due to major compression. Just grab the larger DSC_XXXX files for the real picture, though the moire was inevitable.

All ScreenShots here:
Index of /Images/Gear/ManhattanLCD_HD109A

Main menu:

Secret menu (press "2008" on remote control):
Old September 29th, 2008, 03:54 AM   #44
Major Player

Glad this thread has been useful to people.

Gints & Tim,

I'm torn between buying a manhattan monitor, waiting for smallhd's next offering and buying a 1000nit xenarc then worrying later about focus/resolution.

Either of you have any anecdotal info about either monitor outside? I think i may need to lean more towards outside viewability than rez/color, at least for the advantajib. .

cheers,
-a
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 04:05 AM   #45
Major Player

deleted - posted in error

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software