Basic DAT recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 10th, 2004, 09:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Basic DAT recorder

What’s a basic DAT recorder that I can use with an XLR input (two would be nice), but one that won’t break the bank? I’m having difficulty finding one that is what I’m looking for. I want to use it for ONLY video. I have the FX1 camera, but that only has the 1/8 mic input and I would like to record my audio separately. I guess if it’s too expensive, then I’ll just use the on camera mic input and an XLR adapter, but if I could afford it, I’d like to get a DAT recorder.
Adam Rench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 10:17 AM   #2
Trustee

I wouldn't invest in a DAT machine. They aren't even making new ones with XLR inputs now that I know of.
A recorder that uses either solid-state memory cards or mini hard-drives is the way to go now. These files can then be pulled directly into your computer for editing.
The Marantz PMD-670 is a good example. There are others as well that go up in price.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 11:29 AM   #3
Major Player

that does look like exactly what I need. I was hoping to find something for like 300 bucks though.. Well.. looks like I might start walking around my house to find stuff to sell on Ebay!! haha
Old December 10th, 2004, 11:40 AM   #4
Major Player

The 670's really nice, it's what I use now.

But, if price is a concern, go to eBay and get a studio DAT machine.

I used a Panasonic for 3700 for quite a while - It's biger and heavier than a Porta-a-DAT or Tascam or what have you, but I'd just stick on the table at video village with the mixer and the monitor's and it didn't matter. And best of all, it was only $200.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 01:53 PM   #5
Major Player

that sounds great to me. I was really trying to use an idependent source of audio, rather than using the onboard mic on my camcorder.

I'll check out the panny 3700 on ebay.
Old December 10th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #6
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Jay Massengill : I wouldn't invest in a DAT machine. They aren't even making new ones with XLR inputs now that I know of.
A recorder that uses either solid-state memory cards or mini hard-drives is the way to go now. These files can then be pulled directly into your computer for editing.
The Marantz PMD-670 is a good example. There are others as well that go up in price. -->>>

Jay's right. Why not go right into your camera?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 03:29 PM   #7
Major Player

My camera is on backorder so I haven't had time to test out the audio quality. However, the FX1 has no XLR inputs so I would have to buy the Beachtek adapter. That's find, but the adapter costs 165 bucks.

If I can get a used DAT recorder for less than that, I could have the sound guy not have to be stuck up next to the camera man. Know what I mean?
Old December 11th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #8
Major Player

Joshua,

I just picked up a used 3700 for 86 bucks! Anything else you can recommend for me at this point?
Old December 11th, 2004, 11:24 PM   #9
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Culbert Rench : My camera is on backorder so I haven't had time to test out the audio quality. However, the FX1 has no XLR inputs so I would have to buy the Beachtek adapter. That's find, but the adapter costs 165 bucks.

If I can get a used DAT recorder for less than that, I could have the sound guy not have to be stuck up next to the camera man. Know what I mean? -->>>

You have a digital input on your editing system to transfer the DAT audio? Even if you do DAT is prety much a dead format.

Not that I expect you to stop you.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2004, 01:57 AM   #10
Major Player

Honestly, I don't know what I have or what I don't. This whole thing is WAY new to me. I'm gonna fiddle with it, and get whatever I need to do. If I can't use the DAT machine, then I'll just sell it on ebay again.

and Ty, there's no problem with you trying to stop me either! If I'm doing something that's totally illogical, please tell me! (I think you just did though, hehe).

This new project I'm working on will surely be an excellent learning experience for me as well as my cast and crew. We are basically doing this project for the experience anyway.
Old December 12th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #11
Trustee

Two very knowledgeable pros gave you sound advice (pardon the play on words)

So far as adapters go the Beach DXA4 is basic, it impedance matchs, gives you rudimentary mixing ability and attenuates.

It does not have phantom power, preamplification or limiters, all of which will be invaluable.

Without phantom you're stuck with a battery operated mic and that cuts your choices down considerably. The better mics all require 48 volt phantom.

Many of the mics have low output levels and require a decent preamp to get the most out of them.

Do some searching and reading on this and other sites. A weeks worth of due dilligence may save you both heartache and money.
Old December 13th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #12
Major Player

Honestly, I don't know what I have or what I don't. This whole thing is WAY new to me. I'm gonna fiddle with it, and get whatever I need to do. If I can't use the DAT machine, then I'll just sell it on ebay again.

The 3700 should have a digital out on the back. For the life of me I can't remember what exactly it was, TOSlink I think. If your PC doesn't have an optical in, go to the computer store and get one of the higher end Sound Blaster Audigy boards. You can probably find an Audigy I used for not much more than the 3700 cost. Those have digital input. You will need software to record the sound coming in - Vegas may do it though.
Old December 13th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #13
Trustee

Audigy and all Sound Blasters are a gamers board, look to M-Audio or similar boards.

The original link crapped out on the B&H server for some reason. i modified the link directly to the Audiophile 2496. For other cards click on "Audio Cards" on the address bar on the top of the page..
Old December 13th, 2004, 04:20 PM   #14
Major Player

I agree - I was more thinking about the amount of money he wanted to spend.
Old December 13th, 2004, 05:51 PM   #15
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Joshua Starnes : I agree - I was more thinking about the amount of money he wanted to spend. -->>>

The link that i included will bring whom ever to the full lineup of audio interfaces at B&H. The M-Audio 2496 has digital input and is an entry but quality audio card. At less than $100 it's a deal, if that's too much than I would respectfully suggest that dv audio isn't the place to be.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio