VL-10Li on camera video light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 30th, 2002, 02:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

VL-10Li on camera video light

Curious about the little light Canon sells for the XL-1. I do a fair amount of corporate event people videos...often dark cocktail party environments probably similar to a wedding reception. I currently use a old Peg lighting system with a belt pack. It works O.K. but is very heavy and drains fast.

Would like to hear what you think...about how much time on one charge? What's an ideal subject to camera distance. I have both the standard lens and wide Canon wide angle. Thanks!!

"I'd do it for free but I don't!"
John Paulsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2002, 09:57 AM   #2
Major Player

I was thinking about getting the same light. Not sure if anyone here has one. I'll probably get one anyway, because I can't afford the $600 light that most would say to get!
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2002, 10:29 AM   #3
Trustee

This might help...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...highlight=10li
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2002, 02:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Looking at that past thread, Chris said he was going to find out it the Canon VL3 could have the bulb changed. Did you find out?

Also the Canon VL3 works fine with the XL1s? Most ads say it is for other camcorders.
Old January 1st, 2003, 08:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Zimvg304 : I was thinking about getting the same light. Not sure if anyone here has one. I'll probably get one anyway, because I can't afford the $600 light that most would say to get! -->>>

What are the two lights yo uare talking about? VL-10 and a Fizzler SunGun?
Old January 1st, 2003, 03:44 PM   #6
Major Player

mark the Frezzi lights is the other one I was talking about. Real nice, but they cost alot. I'll get one down the road.
Old January 1st, 2003, 04:25 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

The VL3 will not work with the XL1S, as that camcorder lacks the required Advanced Accessory Shoe. The VL3 is compatible only with the Canon GL2, Optura Pi, 100MC, Optura 10, Optura 20, ZR30MC, ZR50MC and ZR70MC as they are the only Canon camcorders with the Advanced Accessory Shoe.

To my knowledge it is not possible to replace the VL3 bulb. However, since the VL3 costs only $50 (pocket change compared to other on-baord lights), it should'nt be an issue to simply replace the entire unit. Keep a spare VL3 handy.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2003, 04:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yes, thanks and sorry, I meant Frezzi.

Chris: You can get a much better light (for example a Hama 10W/30W switchable incl. battery) for $50.
Old January 1st, 2003, 04:50 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Mark, do you have a link for that item?

The primary advantage of the VL3 is that it is very small and lightweight, three watts (perfect for eye-light) and needs no on-board battery. However since it will not work with XL1 / XL1S, I would like to know more about the Hama. Thanks,

Old January 2nd, 2003, 03:04 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for the info Chris.
Old January 2nd, 2003, 12:24 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

I don't know if the light is available in the US or if you can order it directly at Hama, but here's a link to their German Website (the English one is not complete): http://www.hama.de Then click on Photo/Video/Digital | Video-Aufnahme | Leuchten. You can translate the site with Altavista if you want to. The first item in the list is the light I meant (Videoleuchtenset 30W / video light set 30W). I bought it for 65 € (nearly the same in US$). If you would click on it you would get an extended description but Altavista is unable to translate it - the big picture: http://www.hama.de/bilder/00006/abb/00006342abb.jpg. So I will try to tell you the important things:

It has two bulbs (10W and 20W), you can either switch on the 10W-bulb or both together (which will be 30W equivalent I think). In my opinion the light is very good for its price, clear and smooth, and has the same temperature as any other artificial light (3200 K). The illumination-angle is very wide (nearly 180° i think but it gets a bit darker at the edges). I use the 10W as an addition to the normal lamps everybody has in his rooms and for illuminating and pointing out things near the camera (i.e. persons, what works very well!). The 30W is good and bright enough for big rooms and outdoor-filming at night if you set the shutter to 1/25s or 1/30s - another way is to use 6db gain. Sometimes it's hard for the GL2/XM2 to focus when the 30W light is the only illumination, so I use manual focus in pitch dark. It's hard to damage the videolight, mine fell down several times and was still working perfectly. I wanted to open the front cover once because I wanted to see the bulbs but I was only holding at the back of the light and so the cover flew away - together with the 10W bulb (so always hold the whole light when you open it). I found the bulb 4 or 5 feet away and put it back in the light - everything was still functioning as if nothing has happened. The only thing I have to complain about is that the light sometimes switches off automatically, because it runs too hot after several minutes when you use both bulbs (30W) in a normal temperated room.

It comes with a 1800 mAh NiCd battery which can be loaded through the videolight itself. Because this will only last for approx. 40 minutes (10W) / 20 minutes (30W), I also ordered two Sony equivalent batteries (6V) with each 4000 mAh at Sabah Oceanic (they always sell two batteries together) for $64 - plus they are NiMH. They last double the time. Good that I still have an old Sanyo charger for them, because you can't use the light if you load a battery with it. It will also accept Panasonic, Sharp and other batteries with 6V.

So I think this is everything I can tell you about this videolight. The Hama-description at their webiste only tells about the pure numbers (W, V etc.).

If you have any questions, tell me. I can add some pictures I made of the light itself if you want.
Old January 2nd, 2003, 12:37 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Most helpful! Many thanks, Mark.

Old January 2nd, 2003, 12:56 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I forgot: With attached battery it weighs about 400 gramms (0.8 pound).
Old January 2nd, 2003, 01:43 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Mark,

Thanks for your input; I check it out.

"I'd do it for free but I don't!"
John Paulsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2003, 03:57 AM   #15
Quantum Productions

Another post here too!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3394

(I still have my VL-10 light!)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management