Check out my home made stabilizer!!! =) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 25th, 2004, 11:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Check out my home made stabilizer!!! =)

hey i built it and used it to shoot my music video. tell me what you think of the shot!

http://www.ifilm.com/promo/yellowcard/submissions.jsp

go about 2/3rds down to "Arthur To" and watch my video. and if you like, can you cast a vote for me? PLEEEEEEEEEASE? i'd REALLY REALLY appreciate it very much.

if u feel bad about pity-voting me then compare my video with some others. but i am so desperate to win this competition

also any comments and critques about my video and/or the steadycam shot with my homebuilt would also be highly appreciated!

=)
-arthur
Old December 27th, 2004, 01:04 AM   #2
Major Player

saw and voted

I did watch your video and thought it was good. I watched about 8 other videos and yours was the best of them so I gave you my vote. I didn't have the time to watch them all of the entries nor could I take that much of the same song.

I thought the idea was good to have a song and let others promote it. I will only cost the band 5K so that's not too bad.

Now for the steadycam video...fairly smooth and applicable. I wish other's video had some steadycam shots in them as much of the stuff was too jumpy. I do realize the nature of the song suggests that but I personally don't care for it.

I did like the plot that you employed in your video. I thought it was very clever.

Terry

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 01:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

wow

hey thanks a bunch! =)

i really appreciate the vote and the comments. helps me expand my thinking, yea i really wished i had more steadicam shots. they're so cool

-arthur
Old December 27th, 2004, 10:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Well done! Tell that drummer that he's freakin' amazing. The stabilizer shot down the hallway was a bit "Pendulum" like. Use 2 hands when operating!

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 11:34 AM   #5
Regular Crew

=)

wow thanks for the great tips and comments guys.

yea, my camera guys first swing at a steadicam. i wish we somehow could train.

thanks a grip =)

-arthur
Old January 14th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #6
Major Player

Got any pictures of your stabilizer?

Good luck.

Dennis
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

trhanks

thanks, yea i do

here it is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3856242519

-arthur

if anyone wants a new one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3319&item=3867149472&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Old January 17th, 2005, 01:39 PM   #8
Major Player

I can see straight why you are experiencing problems with stability.

1.) You seem to be holding the base of the Glidecam 400 post while operating, instead of very gently pinching the section just beneath the gimbal when needing to adjusting your shot.

2.) You have the Glidecam set up incorrectly, with the base of the sled angled at the wrong position.

I’m sure if you adjust these above observations, you will produce a much smoother shot.
Old January 17th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #9
Regular Crew

oh

ooooooh awesome! ill go test it out when i get the chance

thanks a bunch! =)
Old January 17th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #10
Major Player

steadycam (generic) pendulum probs

Note: I use the term steadycam (not Steadicam) to refer to any stabilizer that copies the famous Steadicam created by Garret Brown. Just like we use the term "velcro" instead of "hook and loop" which is it's real name. Velcro is a brand name of a "hook and loop" manufacturer. With that said...

=====================================

Dan said "The stabilizer shot down the hallway was a bit "Pendulum" like. Use 2 hands when operating!"

Dan is correct providing you have the Glidecam set up correctly and use your control hand just under the gimbal (as explained by Richard) and don't use it very much. Not only is the base "supposed" to be pointing front to back in order to balance the rig better but also the balance needs to have a 2 - 2.5 (some say 3) drop time.

For those who are reading this and don't know what "drop time" means...while holding the rig parallel to the ground, allow it to swing down making an arc (like a pendulum on a clock) and count the time between letting it go and when it swings past the vertical position. The longer the drop time, the less the rig will pendulum while operating with starts, stops and turns.

The biggest problem with a longer drop time (2.5 - 3 seconds) is that it takes a lot of time to get the rig that well balanced fore and aft as well as side to side. The Glidecam doesn't allow real fine adjustments very easily whereas a full sized Steadicam or MK-V (and others) has fine tuning. It will just take longer to achieve a fine balance.

Gee, I wish Charles Papert were here explaining this but he's probably already done it in many other posts. I hear he will be making (or already is making) a training tape to help all of us to become much better steadycam operators.

Terry

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:11 PM   #11
Regular Crew

ooh

intereseting, i will definetely try the setup

thank you!

-arthur
Old January 19th, 2005, 02:17 PM   #12
Major Player

No disrespect by this comment, but I can’t believe that people are spending $660.00 on a homebuilt arm and vest that is supposed to improve stability, and is built by a person that can't even set up the equipment properly, or understand the basics of operating.
I know that everyone needs to learn somewhere, but I can't but think that you are taking advantage of people. But guess it’s their own fault if people buy it.

Plus then you give us a link to the site where you’re selling them!

"if anyone wants a new one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3319&item=3867149472&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW"

I had a look at the video, and I can’t see any improvement from regular handheld use of the GC400.

Again, no disrespect, (although it may have seemed so) I just had to get it off my chest.

All the best,
Old January 19th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #13
Regular Crew

understood

i understand, none taken, i'd probably say the same if it were true.

i dont build them, my dads friend knows all about this stuff and he does it but he already makes a ton making other stuff, so he wanted to help me out- esp cuz he knows i like to film.

so.... yea im learning im improving, im no good at setups and stuff, but its built by a guy who has alot of experience in this area.

i am not taking advantage of people, the rig is for reals..... me as the operator..... bleh, thank goodness i dont come with the package. anyways, 660 is also the lowest of the sales so far - and i've gotten great reviews from the people in the past who bid over 800-

thanks for your input though!

-arthur
Old January 19th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #14
Major Player

Over £800 for that!!

It looks like it cost about £50 to make!! If that's not taking advantage, I don't know what is.

Again, no disrespect.
Old January 19th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #15
Regular Crew

i agree

well many have reported back to me that it was very worth it, and that their shots were everything they wanted.

that statement sounds like the 800 dollars was worth it, you might know if you used it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)