v1u in low light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 7th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #1
New Boot

v1u in low light

How is this camera in very low light i.e. dim churches or rooms lit by candle light?
Tom Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #2
Major Player

As a wedding videographer I would have to say wait for the XDCam EX!

Either that or you'll have to carry the new Sony light as a minimum requirement.

I love my FX 7 in the daylight, but for receptions it's quite depressing when you take your 1st shot (before the sun sets through the windows) at 6 p.m., and the camera is already at +18 gain!

Cheers Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I strongly disagree with claims on the V1 being so poor in low light. The idea is to not allow the camera brighten up the reality for you, which it will do if you leave gain in auto while not limiting it to say 6dB in the menu (12db at most).

When the scenery being shot is dim or even dark, try to allow only as much of gain as necessary to render it equally dark in your footage - you won't be disappointed! Of course, try to compensate for it with other settings, like freeing the bandwith by compressing blacks, or making for the overal picture dullnes by increasing colour gain, setting knee high etc. Also, when it's dark, don't darken it even further by engaging cinegamma. If you don't like it dark, use some light!!!

Gain as high as 18dB should only be used at those rare occasions when you really must document something that would be too dark otherwise.
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Not that low light in V1. Is HDV not DV too much gain end up VCD quality...:( If is a candle light than let net it be or get some extra lights using LED type. Im getting the SONY Led light soon
K.C. Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:03 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have a pair of v1u's which I use for ceremony's/receptions etc. We have been very pleased with the footage. Obviously, if you turn out the lights in a room, well, it's dark. So the idea is to use placed light in places that will help your footage. One of the darkest buildings we've ever shot in was a university chapel, dark walls, dark seats, dark ceiling, dark carpet, windows and ceiling lights that were meant more for design than function. Even then, with the bride being in white, white flowers behind them and light colored b/m dresses, we still had plenty of light.

We are pleased we went with the V1u. Like mentioned above, there's always a new camera coming out, the goal is to get what will work for your now, because it's hard to build a buisness, in video, without cameras. :}
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I also have a pair of V1Us that I use for shooting performances. I had a very challenging lighting situation this spring, but I think the results are pretty impressive. The close shots are V1U, and the wide shots are HC1-- before I bit the bullet and bought a twin V1U.

YouTube doesn't look anywhere as good as my DVD does, but it gives you a pretty good idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3DrTDWlZ5M

I did a fair amount of post correction, but I think I preserved the dramatic lighting effect. Right from the beginning, a dimly lit lamp is swinging at the left of the screen. Then a figure emerges upstage in a thin shaft of light. And the person in the bright chrome body suit... yadda yadda yadda. All in a day's work!
Jerry Wiese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #7
Major Player

Tom
I shoot Weddings and a lot of concert footage in clubs. I always carry my Bescor 50watt or 100watt camera light and battery pack.

I will post some new low light footage later today

Take a look at this thread this a clip that I made when I recieved my V1u
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=83387
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #8
New Boot

Thanks everybody I appreciate your help. Is anyone here using the firestone with this camera?

Tom
Old August 15th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mulligan View Post
Thanks everybody I appreciate your help. Is anyone here using the firestone with this camera?

Tom
I use the "firestone" for my car. It's a decent tire, but it doesn't work too well with my camera... lol.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Yeah... The 'Firestone', being a stone, is too heavy for me to move around, therefore I personally am using the Sony HVR-DR60. Not only is it lighter itself, but also allows tapeless recording with my V1E, which makes the whole rig even lighter:)
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:42 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Wiese View Post
I also have a pair of V1Us that I use for shooting performances. I had a very challenging lighting situation this spring, but I think the results are pretty impressive. The close shots are V1U, and the wide shots are HC1-- before I bit the bullet and bought a twin V1U.

YouTube doesn't look anywhere as good as my DVD does, but it gives you a pretty good idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3DrTDWlZ5M

I did a fair amount of post correction, but I think I preserved the dramatic lighting effect. Right from the beginning, a dimly lit lamp is swinging at the left of the screen. Then a figure emerges upstage in a thin shaft of light. And the person in the bright chrome body suit... yadda yadda yadda. All in a day's work!
Jerry, good job! How did you do the sound - is it live from the performance?
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mulligan View Post
Is anyone here using the firestone with this camera?

Tom
note to self, must proofread
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Jerry, good job! How did you do the sound - is it live from the performance?
Thanks! I dubbed in the music from the CD in post. I brought up the applause from the live performance at the end. Depending on the type of performance, I think it works better if you don't use any live sound. Nothing like having a bunch of coughs and crying children during a dramatic moment.
Jerry Wiese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Looking at the grab attached, can anyone say this is a poorly performing camera? Typical wedding ceremony, in-church lighting (yes I used the HVL-LBP on-camera light, but the distance in this particular shot was over 10m)!

EDIT John, here you are!
Attached Thumbnails
v1u in low light-borek.jpg   v1u in low light-kiss.jpg  

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; October 27th, 2007 at 06:17 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Looking at the grab attached, can anyone say this is a poorly performing camera? Typical wedding ceremony, in-church lighting (yes I used the HVL-LBP on-camera light, but the distance in this particular shot was over 10m)!
I don't think anyone is claiming that this is a poorly performing camera. It just has its shortcomings in low light. The scene that you snapshot has a decent amount of light. Show me a scene of a dimly lit dance floor at a reception. That would be a good test of low light performance.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7