DVD Architect Problems with Vegas Renders. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old September 18th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #1
Tourist

DVD Architect Problems with Vegas Renders.

Hi,

I been getting to grips with work flow between Sony Vegas and DVD Architect and I been running into some problems.

Basically I understand that it's best to render out from Vegas to a "DVD Architect PAL video stream" for video and then "Dolby Digital AC-3" for audio, for use within DVDA.

However when I import these assets and try to burn, DVDA informs me that it will need to re-compress the video files, while this is fine for small videos below 10 minutes, large projects of between 30 and 40 minutes would take forever.

One 30 minute HD quality file that I rendered into MPEG2, took nearly 3 days to render in DVDA and then failed at 98%.

I thought that integration between the DVDA PAL Video Streams from Vegas meant that I would not need to re compress or re render whatever files, right now it seems like am adding 2 separate rendering times first from Vegas to MPEG then in DVDA for the DVD!

What am I doing wrong?

PS: There was no menu system incorporated. Just straight up video files.
Farhad Agzamov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #2
Trustee

Bit rate calculators

you might need to look into bit rate calculators. a single layer single side DVD can only hold 4.3GiB (which is how the operating system see it; it is a base 2 number, not the storage media sizing which is base 10 and comes out to 4.7GB)

If you take your total play time, multiplied by your bitrate, then you should know if it will fit even before you render out from Vegas if it will fit. Do a search for bit rate calculators to find more information on this.

You could just be trying to fit too much data on a DVD, especially if you have HD output as MPEG2. HD is up to 4x the data per frame. So expect that no more than 30 minutes of HD footage will fit on a standard DVD if encoded using normal MPEG2 compression.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:13 AM   #3
Major Player

I have found that you can fit 1hr and 25min of DV Video rendered to DVD NTSC template. Take that file and drag it into DVD Arch and then create your menus and what not, it will fit.

If you need a chart, go here

http://www.videoguys.com/Vegas_Tips/TTS01-07.pdf

It will give you a bitrate chart, change the bitrate in Vegas Templeate for DVD NTSC and you are good. Second way is to render timeline to AVI and then let DVD Arch do the bit rate calculation itself.
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I am using Vegas MSPE8 and DVDA4.5.

I originally rendered AVI out of Vegas, then started DVDA and created my desired DVD, using DVDA to grab the finished AVI's as appropriate.

Big drawback was diskspace used by the AVIs! I started rendering from Vegas in MPEG2, and DVDA was happy to take them and use them. Rendering in DVDA was much faster, and results seemed little different from using AVI as intermediate.

I do always run Vegas and DVDA completely independently. Seems happier that way, and I can control DVDA better. I guess it if use a different authoring tool in the future, then no mixup errors.
David Errington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:41 PM   #5
Inner Circle

There are as many different thoughts about rendering in Vegas and DVDA as there are people using it so it seems. Here's my take on it.
IF you take say a 2 hour piece and do any FXs or CC to it it will take a fairly long time to render to MPEG as each and every frame has to be gone thru. If there is ANY kind of hiccup with the computer, you get to start over.
DVDA does not give you the same amount of control over the render as Vegas so how to combine the best of both?
Render the project to an AVI-YES YES I know it takes up HDD space BUT...at 13 gigs per hour a 2 hour project is 26 gigs. In the grand scheme of thing not that big. Now when you render to AVI you get a faster render of course because frames that don't have any done to them simply copy over and frames that do have work done render faster except of course Magic Bullet :()
Now when you render to MPEG in Vegas you can not only set the proper bitrate BUT can render the audio to AC3 and you can do a CBR or a VBR a 2 pass - things you can not do in DVDA. I have put as much as 3 hours on a DVD rendered out in Vegas (can't say I was too happy using a bitrate in the 1's but you do what ya gotta do) and quite routinely do 2hours to 2:15 at bitrates in the mid to high 4's with quality that looks just fine on a 52 inch screen.
Again that's how I do it YMMV but I would never take a project and render straight to MPEG in Vegas simply because of the time it might take to get thru it. I can't tie up my #1 editing system for 2 or 3 days waiting for a job to render. Even better is to break the project up into bites and render the bites seperately use DVDA end actions when needed and you're set to go.
Like I said we all have our own way-this works for me.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring