V1 audio problem vindication at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old October 11th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

V1 audio problem vindication

Some of you may recall my dissatisfaction with the V1's audio after first purchasing the camera back in late July, early August. It was just was too insensitive in my opinion.

This morning, I got my V1 back from Sony after 35 days (slooooow). In fixing the problem I had send it in for, they replaced the main board and the mechanism inside.

After running a number of tests with all my favorite microphones, I am pleased to report it now works at the levels I expected it to in the first place.

In other words, the original camera musta been a lemon and replacing the main board brought it into spec.

So, I wasn't crazy after all, appearances aside. ;-)

--Ralph
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #2
Major Player

now that is an interesting report.

In my opinion, i think its more likely that Sony have made a conscious design (maybe firmware, maybe hardware) change to the sound section since introducing this machine. Sony tend not to 'advertise' changes like this.

So thanks for that report - informative!
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Roberts View Post
After running a number of tests with all my favorite microphones, I am pleased to report it now works at the levels I expected it to in the first place.
Are you now setting the manual dial to 7ish, as reported re your other cameras, to get a similar level? Is an audio level of 0db on your camera now coming up as 0db in your NLE?

How about the headphone level; was this ever a problem for you, that is now fixed?

btw, does anyone know what the "ns" stands for in the display ns48k? The manual leads me to expect fs48k!!
Alnoor Dewshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #4
Inner Circle

To all the questions Alnoor asked, I'd like to add this one: do you find the audio not only louder, but also more reach in the bass department now?
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alnoor Dewshi View Post
Are you now setting the manual dial to 7ish, as reported re your other cameras, to get a similar level? Is an audio level of 0db on your camera now coming up as 0db in your NLE?

How about the headphone level; was this ever a problem for you, that is now fixed?

btw, does anyone know what the "ns" stands for in the display ns48k? The manual leads me to expect fs48k!!
yes, the audio levels on the camera are now the same in Premiere Pro CS3 after I capture the video. That's the way I THOUGHT it should work and now it does. ;-)

I never had any problems with headphone levels then or now.

--Ralph
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
To all the questions Alnoor asked, I'd like to add this one: do you find the audio not only louder, but also more reach in the bass department now?
It's about the same ... what I've started doing (did this for the first time on a job this weekend) is also record audio on a Zoom H4 recorder. Get full, rich real stereo and synch it with the V1 video in post production. Nice!

--Ralph
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #7
Inner Circle

sounds like your camera came from the factory with a monkey on it's back...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
yes, the audio levels on the camera are now the same in Premiere Pro CS3 after I capture the video. That's the way I THOUGHT it should work and now it does. ;-)
Glad to hear it.
I was wondering if you found the V1 less sensitive with the same mic as your other cameras?
Alnoor Dewshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alnoor Dewshi View Post
Glad to hear it.
I was wondering if you found the V1 less sensitive with the same mic as your other cameras?
not any more, so maybe the repair time was worth it after all.....

no! ;-(

but the V1 is working very sweetly now. We shot almost five hours of video with it over the weekend and got some great stuff.

--Ralph
Old November 10th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #10
Major Player

ralph-

glad the audio is working well on your v1. nothing ruins a shoot like poor audio.

care to share with us how u use the zoom h4 recorder? are u using this device in talking head interviews? stage presentations? weddings? musical events?

if u can describe your workflow, there might be others who can appreciate how the zoom h4 is a solution to some of the v1's vexing audio concerns.

thanks in advance

be well

rob

Quote:
It's about the same ... what I've started doing (did this for the first time on a job this weekend) is also record audio on a Zoom H4 recorder. Get full, rich real stereo and synch it with the V1 video in post production. Nice!

--Ralph
Rob Katz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7