XH A1 & Raynox HDP-9000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 15th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #1
Trustee

XH A1 & Raynox HDP-9000

Hi all,
I was looking for a tele converter lens for my XH A1 but was not able to find much info on what works well or for that matter any real info on a suitable lens at all. I really needed something to get closer to my subjects so in the end bit the bullet & went & purchased this lens in the hope that it would be atleast as good as some of the reviews i have read of the Raynox 2020 lens. Well i got it tonight, i little late to do any serious testing, but i must say, even under the car lights, it looks impressive. Oh, and i might add, it's shear size is impressive. Not really too heavy, but far out, is it big!! I will hopefully get out with it over the weekend, & time permitting, will try to get some footage up on the web for all to see.

Bryce
Bryce Comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

How come HV20 users get 3x (HDP-7700ES) and we only get 1.8x (HDP-9000EX)? :)

Please share your impressions, I am very interested in this lens.

Off-topic: does Century Optics have something along the same lines?
Maksim Yankovskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi Maksim,
Yeah i'm not too sure about the technical side of why exactly they don't make a longer converter lens, but am sure there will be a good explanation. I also have a HV 20 & considering the picture on the long end of the zoom is considerably longer than what the XH A1 would be at its 10x range of its 20x zoom, (if that makes sense!) I would imagine that 3 times that, would be considerably longer than the A1 with 1.8x.
Century do have a lens for the A1, it's on their website. You can have a look here. http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1385&IID=6223
Unfortunately i still haven't had a chance to get out with the Raynox for any real testing of this lens, but did manage to get a few short minutes outside in what remaining daylight was left after getting home from work. So far i am really impressed, but will try to get some real footage this weekend & will try to post it for all to see soon after.

Bryce
Old October 21st, 2007, 06:04 AM   #4
Trustee

Wow, this lens is awsome. I have spent most of this morning & a bit of time this arvo playing with it. The pics are unbelievable. I don't see any drop in resolution or distortion with anything i've shot so far. Got some really nice shots of some birds & stuff, & will try to get it posted for anyone who might be interested tomorrow.
On another note, i was just wondering, how should you set your white balance for shooting the moon, or should you simply use the auto setting?

Bryce
Old October 21st, 2007, 09:22 AM   #5
Contributor

What's the price on that sucker?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 10:02 AM   #6
Major Player

Is this the one? $849 at B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...efinition.html

Please post some shots. I may get this.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 02:42 AM   #7
Trustee

That's the one. Should have some footage posted shortly.

Bryce
Old October 24th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #8
Trustee

Ok, i have finally got some video on the web. I had actually put it on Youtube, but the quality was so bad, i didn't want to tell anyone!
Here it is:
http://web.aanet.com.au/brycekatelij.../Page10125.htm
Old November 26th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #9
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim Yankovskiy View Post

Schneider Optics manufactures a Century 1.6x tele converter. It accepts an 102mm filter and can be shaded with an optional shade which also accepts 4x4 filters. Our lens has been tested to over 300 line pairs per millimeter. That is roughly twice our nearest competitor. Links below.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1385&IID=6223

Ryan Avery
Regional Sales Representative
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim Yankovskiy View Post

Hey guys.

I am thinking of buying a HDP-7700ES for my HV20 camera. How will it work regarding the black corners when zooming out???

Is it possible to use the lens at HV20 x 2 (using 2/3 of the tele lens capability) and still not have the black corners???

I would like a lens which doubles (x2) but this one would be perfect if I could us it in the range of x 2.0-3.0

Does anybody know????

Thanks lot in advance

Peter
Peter Svensson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders