Video Workshop Sept 2008 among Big Brown Bears, Wolfs, Wolverines and Golden Eagle at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old November 20th, 2007, 07:20 AM   #1
Trustee

Video Workshop Sept 2008 among Big Brown Bears, Wolfs, Wolverines and Golden Eagle

Hi all,
I will be arranging a Video Workshop 1. - 8. September 2008. This will be a great possibility for uwol'ers all over the world to get close contact to wild animals. And this is real wild animals and not captivity species.

The place for this happening is Kuhmo, Finland and the workshop is a collaboration between Lassi Rautiainen and myself.
Lassi Rautiainene has been working with wild animals and especially Brown Bears for more than 30 years. His knowledge about these species and the way he has build up this place with hides and accomodations is widely recommended by wildlifephotographers all over the world!
Link to his website: http://www.articmedia.fi/

Who is this aimed for:
Video wildlifephotographers in all categories who wants to get in close contact, learn and film wild animals.

Equipment:
Participant bring with them their own video-gear. Light tripods is recommended.

The workshop will be held for a period of 3 days/nights. In daytime I will be speaking about technical aspect about wildlifefilming, what kind of gear is suitable. And of course we will be talking about techniques how to get near wild animals, making hides/blinds, get the perfect sound, how to stay safe etc...

In 3 nights we will be out in hides/blinds, shooting as much footage as possible of the animals. The hides/blinds are placed in beautiful areas for stunning footage of the species in their natural surroundings.

Hopefully some of you will be interested in this, as your guide/mentor I will guarantee you a nice stay among uwol-friends
Old November 20th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #2
Trustee

Per, that sounds awesome!!

If I can sell enough footage in the next several months to pay for the trip I'd certainly be interested in going on this one
Old November 20th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje View Post
Hi all,

Light tripods is recommended.
hm, what do you suppose a guy who lugs a Miller Arrow 55 and a jib into the wilderness means, exactly, by "light" tripods??? lots of big stinky guys in a blind with cameras. heavenly!

i'm just kidding you, per. it sounds really amazing! i wonder what my schedule looks like in september.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I would love to be a part of this! Not sure what my schedule will look like, nor how much a flight over there might be. But I'm sure it would be worth every penny!

Are there a limited number of spots?
Old November 20th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy D. Allen View Post
Are there a limited number of spots?
Yes there are, we can have 11 participants on each workshop only. So for the entire week there will be 22 spots available. This is due to that the accomodations is limited, so is also the number of hides/blinds. It's a kind of exclusivity in this. By sending me an PM, you will get the terms.
Old November 21st, 2007, 08:17 AM   #6
Trustee

video-samples

Here are four small videosamples from this year workshop in Finland.

One night there where 12 bears surrounding us in the hides/blinds. Look at sample: (bear3.wmv and bear4.wmv) for some of the actions

You also got real close contact with wolfs, this is approx 25 meter from the hide/blind (wolf.wmv)

Amazing moment when a wolverine showed up on the bate only 20 meter from the hide/blind. This is a rarely seen animals in the wild. (wolverine.wmv)

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: wmv bear3.wmv (622.5 KB, 213 views)
File Type: wmv bear4.wmv (872.5 KB, 210 views)
File Type: wmv wolf.wmv (1.07 MB, 211 views)
File Type: wmv wolverine.wmv (1.20 MB, 181 views)
Old November 21st, 2007, 11:46 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Pretty sweet, man. Do have any idea what the cost will be for the workshop?
Old November 21st, 2007, 04:37 PM   #8
Trustee

Timothy,
The workshop will run for EUR 950 (with todays exchange rate $1330). Early bird discount of 10% if ordered before 31. of January 2008!
This will include everything for 3 days/night, transportation from/to the airport, accommodation, all meals incl. lunch packet in the hide/blind, workshop course fee etc.

What you need to bring with you:
Suitable camcorder (long lens is recommended but not necessary!), tripod head (yes you don't need the tripod because you mount the head on a bolt in the hide)
Warm clothing (September nights in Finland can be chilliness), drinking bottle/thermos, a small headlight. Thats it!

Helsinki is the capital of Finland where you got the main airport. From there you take a flight to Kajaani airport. You will be picked up there and transported by car to the workshop.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 02:34 PM   #9
Inner Circle

After watching the "bear film" Per Johan screened when we had our UWOL Team Norway meeting last week, I'll say this is a once in a lifetime experience.

Per Johan, I replied to your email.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Per Johan,

What a great opportunity. I can't think where I would enjoy myself filming more than with you all there!! I am certain everyone will learn some great stuff and see some amazing things. I win the lottery (in time of course) I am coming.
Old November 24th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje View Post
I will be arranging a Video Workshop 1. - 8. September 2008.
Per Johan,

I'll probably be around there in Lassi's hides in the beginning of September as will be working with a big wildlife film project for which couple footages of bears are needed.

-- Lauri
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #12
Trustee

Per,
What time do you usually go into the hides?
How long is the light decent after sunset and before sunrise?

I see for Helsinki for the first of September, 2008 the sun rises about 06:15 and sets about 20:23

Just kind of curious how much light we'd have before we start having to turn up the gain with a IS0 320 camera?
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback View Post
How long is the light decent after sunset and before sunrise?

I see for Helsinki for the first of September, 2008 the sun rises about 06:15 and sets about 20:23
Kevin,

Kuhmo is very much north from Helsinki, so comparing to Helsinki does not give the right impression. Still, of course, in September the length of day in north and south gets close to each other. Second, what you ask depends very much on the wheather. I would say, if it's not cloudy, once may shoot till 21:00-21:30 and start again early in the morning around 5:00-5:30. If it's cloudy, well, then the day is much shorther.

Last edited by Lauri Kettunen; November 27th, 2007 at 04:00 AM.
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #14
Trustee

I checked on Kuhmo.
Sunrise on the 1st of September 2008 is 05:46 and sunset is 20:16
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #15
Trustee

Kevin,
I've been talking to Lassi, the owner of the place at Kuhmo, Finland.

He tells me that September will be very suitable for footage, especially of the bears and wolfs.
The Brown Bears will eat as much as they can this time of year, just before they will hibernate.
Because of the sun is setting early we will go to the hides between 3-4 pm and stay there till next morning.
The bear will be in the area before sunset and they will stay there until next morning.
Wolves often come to the bate in the early morning. Wolverines can be around even at daytime! The Golden Eagle often appear together with the Ravens after the bears have left. The Eagle can sit in some big pines near by for hours before it appear on the bate.

You can get some really exceptional shoots of the bears and wolves in the early morning fog when the sun is rising. The autumn air is often very crisp with minimum of airhaze, leading to razor sharp closeups even with long lenses!

Of course, no one can guarantee for that weather will be nice and that both bears and wolfes will appear. This is wild animals!

It's even possible for those who don't want to sit in the hides for such a long time to either leave or come during the nighttime. You will be guided through the forest to the hide. This can be real exciting, walking through the forest by night knowning that 10-15 hungry Brown Bears are watching you!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land