Vignette problem - Page 46 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 26th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #676
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Wall View Post
Steven

I am wondering if only the cams that had the vignette issue also suffer from the backfocus problem. My cam was sent back in early Jan for that problem.

Chuck
Chuck, I'm not sure about that.
My current camera (replacement for my original EX1 camera) has some vignetting in the top two corners (8-25mm range). My back focus looks OK.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #677
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lorente View Post
Maybe this thread should change his title from "Vignette problem" to "Lens problems".
Actually, this thread has been badly derailed by the backfocus problems and if anything they need to be posted elsewhere. A lot of people, myself included are still having vignette issues and it would be good to keep this thread for that problem alone if possible.
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #678
Inner Circle

How to spot who's using EX1

I saw this shot on CNN. Look at upper left and right corners. Vignette issue is more severe on upper left.

BTW I'm seeing this on some of the HD channels (Voom channels) from my Cable service.

Either there's another camera on the market with this issue or you can see who's using the EX1 and haven't gotten them repaired/replaced. It kinda makes you think how many are out there with this and other issues that simply go into service and NEVER get checked.
Attached Thumbnails
Vignette problem-cnnvignette.jpg  
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #679
Major Player

Good eye.

It's pretty much a perfect shot for seeing the vignetting problem.

I'm not sure CNN should be so proud of that exclusive - it's a pretty boring shot!
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #680
Regular Crew

Today I got my camera back from the 3rd repair attempt. When I thoroughly checked it an hour ago I found out that it still has the same issue. Still soft with ND on AND ND off.
They reinstalled the new FW and did the backfocus adjustment routine. I spoke to the technician (who was not from prime support, but from Sony Austria) how he checked it - and he had to admit that he did not have an HD monitor, but he normally does not do any repairs on this camera, so I cant blame him...
All repairs are normally done by Prime Support only.
The sales representative from Sony Austria, who is a very professional, helpful, and friendly gentleman now tries to get a camera from the latest batch for me. If I did not know him, I would have asked for a refund now. I still canīt believe that there are perfect EX-1īs without backfocus problems out there. I hope to get the new camera next week - if it also has the same problem I will have to demand a refund.
Problem is: What camera should I buy instead - the EX1 would be such a great camera... Maybe I will just wait for a couple of months, put my money on the bank and see if they can deliver some working cameras then.
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #681
Major Player

Gerald - I feel your pain.

But what I'm mentally wrangling is this:
With content being king, and more than 90% of the central viewing picture dropping jaws of would be onlookers, this camera is still pumping out an amazing picture. And if my competition is using it - the fact remains that layman (customers) are going to see a better vignetted/blurry EX1 image than a glitch free XLH1/XHA1 image...

Granted - at 7k, i want a camera with no problems. But, now I'm asking myself, should I get it before my competition does, and just learn to work around the camera's beta-release issues?

The ONLY reason I haven't taken the plunge is I live in Vegas and NAB is 2+ weeks away - and 7K is a lot for my budget, so I just want to make sure before I purchase a camera with known deficiencies, that Canon, Panasonic, nor Red is coming out with something just as good or better...

As agonizing as this is, this camera is still a milestone...

Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #682
Regular Crew

Fixed!

Today I fixed the backfocus problem for myself, just before I wanted to return my EX1 for another exchange.
I did the FB-adjustment procedure once again - but this time I used 12 backfocus charts side by side (actually 4 columns and 3 rows), which I attached to a white wall of my house.
I did the procedure for each ND - setting separately. Looks like only 1 backfocus chart was not enough to fix my problem. The camera was 3m away from the charts - aperture of course wide open.

Maybe this trick will work for others as well.
The sad thing is that Sony could not fix it in 3 repair attempts.
I hope it will stay like this now.

My camera has the new FW 1.05.

Maybe this technique will help others as well.

regards,
Gerald
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #683
Trustee

Gerald,can you post some before and after pics,i want to compare them with my before and after pics where i used 1 chart for adjustment.

Thanks,Paul.
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:59 AM   #684
Trustee

Paul, your result looks real sharp.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #685
Regular Crew

one shot was done a couple of weeks ago (the darker one) - second one 15 minutes ago with same settings. (light is very different though and its pretty hazy today)
Yours look sharp to me - I think you fixed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Vignette problem-thirdrepair.jpg   Vignette problem-nd1backfocusnotadjusted.jpg  

Old March 28th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #686
Regular Crew

Here is a split screen image with ND off/ND1/ND2 after adjustment. Everything is in manual mode.
Focus is near infinity, f1,9 - shutter speed varies from 1/2000 to 1/50. Detail off.
Itīs been a little too bright to match ND off correctly though:
Attached Thumbnails
Vignette problem-allndsettings2.jpg  
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #687
Trustee

Gerald,
That looks real sharp man!
You fixed it!

Dang, hmmmm... Maybe I should look closer at mine. Your wide shots may be even a tad sharper than mine. I'll need to check mine closer.

It's hard to believe that was with DETAIL OFF. This is the first camera i've seen in this price range still maintain so much detail with enhancement off.

Most, in this price range turn into mush.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #688
Regular Crew

yep - rechecked - Iīve really set "Detail off"
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #689
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Loidl View Post
yep - rechecked - I´ve really set "Detail off"
Which brings up my next question. What camera mode (PP) did you have the camera set when performing the BF calibration?
Also, was detail off during the BF calibration?
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #690
Regular Crew

PP - Standard Setting 1 with Detail OFF
HQ - 1080 25p
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds