Mini Stereo to XLR adapters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 4th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mini Stereo to XLR adapters

Can anyone recommend to me a brand name or site to buy a mini stereo (1/8") to XLR audio adapter? The only one I know of is Beachtek, just curious what other ones I should consider.
Kevin Dressner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You mean something like this?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_Male_to.html
Anna Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, but...

In essence, that is what I was looking for. Isn't it better to use something like this?

http://www.beachtek.com/prod.html

My understanding was that using a device like this will result in better quality than a cable alone. Is this true? How much better is it really?

Spending $10 instead of $200 sounds nice... is it worth buying something like the link above?
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I will be using a Canon HV20. I haven't nailed down the mic yet, probably something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_Shotgun.html
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dressner View Post
I will be using a Canon HV20. I haven't nailed down the mic yet, probably something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_Shotgun.html
Hi Kevin,

Yes, if you're just looking to input a shotgun with XLR to 1/8" mini, than a simple hand-wired cable adapter like the one suggested by Anna is fine. The BeachTec serves an entirely different function (impedence matching, two channel stereo amplification/attenuation, etc).

Be sure to buy a 1/8" mini with a 90 elbow like the one Anna suggests and be sure to secure the cable to the camera (tape, velcro, etc). In the heat of video passion many of your brothers have broken off the connector in the camera - not a fun day unless you want to buy your camera an expensive gift of service/repair for the holiday!

Good luck, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #6
Major Player

Not all mini plugs are equal

Kevin,

I just learned the hard way that not all mini plugs are equal. The plug itself may be standardized, but the fitting (collar) that holds it may be an issue on the access panel for the HV 20. The collars on some plugs may be too large to fit in the narrow door of the HV 20. One I tried was so large that the least bit of cable movement caused it to be pulled out.

So I'd suggest trying it out in the shop if you can before laying out the money.

Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hello Kevin,

The cable you need will be determined by the mic you choose.

The one Anna mentions will ONLY work with unbalanced stereo mics that use a three-pin XLR connector. Not many mics are made like that.

If you choose a mono mic, that cable will not work.

Azden? don't bother. Besides. It's a mono mic (so the cable Anna mentions will not work) and that Azden requires phantom power (which your camera does not supply).

My suggestion is to keep it as simple as possible. Because you have chosen a VERY small, consumer, hand held camera, your choices are very limited. Even a Rode VideoMic or Stereo Video Mic, either of which will work, almost rival the size of your camera.

If you can deal with the small size of your camera and the potential unwieldiness of the Rode mics, get either or both.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Is it worth using XLR at all? The Rode VideoMic is 1/8" (3.5mm).

What is an "unbalanced stereo mic"? (I'm mainly not sure about the unbalanced part)

What would be an example of a mic I could use with the cable Anna mentioned? Some mics run on a battery power rather than phantom power. I think I could use such a mic with my HV20.

I will be taking video of an orchestra concert in about a week and a half, so I'm looking for the best audio possible with my camcorder.

This mic is battery-powered:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...dioid_Mic.html

It has a short barrel and a long barrel. The problem? The short one is 8.4", and the longer one is a mile. That's going to look like overkill on my HV20. Which is ok. But shorter is better.

Would I have trouble with the tip of the mic showing up in the picture?
Old December 5th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #9
Regular Crew

By the way, thanks so much for helping me out!!
Old December 5th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #10
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=Kevin Dressner;787865]Is it worth using XLR at all? The Rode VideoMic is 1/8" (3.5mm).

>Not in my opinion

What is an "unbalanced stereo mic"? (I'm mainly not sure about the unbalanced part)

> unbalanced is two wires, balanced is three wires.

What would be an example of a mic I could use with the cable Anna mentioned? Some mics run on a battery power rather than phantom power. I think I could use such a mic with my HV20.

any stereo unbalanced mic with an XLR connector...not too many of them out there.

I will be taking video of an orchestra concert in about a week and a half, so I'm looking for the best audio possible with my camcorder.

This mic is battery-powered:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...dioid_Mic.html

It has a short barrel and a long barrel. The problem? The short one is 8.4", and the longer one is a mile. That's going to look like overkill on my HV20. Which is ok. But shorter is better.

Would I have trouble with the tip of the mic showing up in the picture?[/

\QUOTE]

Maybe you would see it. I don't much care for Azden gear.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old December 5th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hmm, I'd really like to use XLR audio. That would also let me plug into a PA system when possible.

Some adapters:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...icrophone.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Dual_XLR.html

It doesn't look like either of these provide phantom power. Beachtek makes one that does, but it's about $250. It might be worth it to me.
Old December 6th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Is a shotgun mic the best type for recording a concert?

If I did use 3.5mm, could I have a splitter on it? (1 input for a shotgun, 1 input for lav- not specifically for a concert)
Old December 6th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #13
Major Player

I've been using a BeachTek DXA-2s for my HV20 for the past 8 months, and I've been very happy with it. I bought a Sound Devices MixPre to power, amplify, and limit the audio I'm sending to the HV20.

If you don't want to add a pre-amp to the mix, then just buy self-powered mics like the Rode NTG-2 shotgun or Rode NT3 hyper-cardiod. Great sound at an afforable price.

You can always add the pre-amp later on if you want to get into the higher end condenser mics.
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Kevin Dressner;788254]Is a shotgun mic the best type for recording a concert?

No.

If I did use 3.5mm, could I have a splitter on it? (1 input for a shotgun, 1 input for lav- not specifically for a concert)

Not necessarily.

Regards,

Ty
Old December 6th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks Guy. Does the DXA-2 have phantom power? I know beachtek makes one that does have that. I think it may be worth it.
Kevin Dressner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio