HD110u - no power via battery / power supply works great at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 26th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #1
New Boot

HD110u - no power via battery / power supply works great

Here's my problem: I grabbed my 110 for some nice HD Christmas shots of the kids, turned it on and . . .nothing. Dead. I had an IDX battery on it, fully charged. Tried a second, fully charged battery. Same thing.

So, I thought it was a fuse in the IDX battery plate attachment. Checked it. It didn't appear to be bad. Tried the replacement fuse just to be safe. Nope, not the problem either.

So, then I detached the IDX battery plate from the back of the camera and just put the JVC stock battery, fully charged, on the camera. Still nothing.

Still perplexed, I hooked the camera up to the power supply and. . .lo and behold. . .it works just fine! I've checked for other fuses that I might be able to access but can't seem to find any on the body of the camera.

The camera worked fine last time I used it. Don't recall any unusual noises or issues on my last power down.

Curious. Anyone have this problem before?
Old December 26th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #2
Major Player

problemo!

a buddy of mine had the same problem with the anton bauer kit. same solution, used the original power source.... we figured it was a bad battery contact or something. although he needed the camera badly and didnt have time to send it back. we never got if officially looked at but that was our diagnosis. someone else had that issue a couple months back too.
Carlos Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #3
New Boot

Worth a shot

Thanks Carlos. That's one thing I hadn't thought about yet – the battery contacts. Maybe I can try cleaning them with some alcohol and swabs. It's a long shot but I'll give it a shot before sending the whole thing off to JVC tomorrow morning.
Old December 26th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I had the same problem, but I didn't have a third-party battery at the time. My problem was out of the box and I picked up a small brick to see if it was the JVC battery. I ended up sending it in to JVC in Jersey and they sent it back saying that they replaced an "electrical part". I'm guessing the internal fuse.

hope you get it fixed.

The JVC rep on the phone told me to send it to New Jersey to get it fixed because they would end up sending it there anyway. He said it would save time.
Old December 26th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #5
New Boot

Blown fuse seems likely

Good to know. Thanks for the info, Levi. My suspicion, too, has been an internal fuse. The camera works flawlessly with the power supply so it sounds like this could be a quick fix, I hope.

Thanks for the tip on the JVC service center in New Jersey, too. My local dealer told me to send it to Illinois but I think I'll confirm that tomorrow before shipping it off. No sense in waiting longer than necessary for it's return if I can help expedite it to the correct service center.

You know, these forums are great! I've really appreciated the feedback from you all in helping to diagnose the problem.
Old December 27th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #6
Major Player

The fuse holder is on the side, and there should also be a spare available aswell.
Old December 27th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #7
New Boot

Marc -

Are you talking about on the IDX battery plate, or on the camera itself? I know about the IDX fuse and that wasn't the problem. Unfortunately. That would've been an easy fix.
Old December 29th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #8
Major Player

maybe it's some internal wiring or circuitry leading from the battery contact and the problem stops just short of where the power supply connection is.
Carlos Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #9
New Boot

Yeah, must be something like that.

I sent the camera off to JVC in Illinois yesterday. I'll be curious as to what their assessment of the problem is and speed of turn-around time. I'll post more on this thread when I get it back and update you all on how it went and what the final assessment ends up being.
Old January 11th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #10
New Boot

Camera back from JVC

Got my camera back today and in full, wonderful, glorious working condition again! According to the invoice it was an "electrical part". More specifically, it lists the "DC Jack" as the culprit so they must have replaced it completely. Not sure of the exact connection between that and the battery but clearly they are internally connected somehow.

Kudos to JVC for a quick turn-around time! It only took 2 weeks from the time I shipped it off to getting it back in my hands today. Very nice. It also helped that this couldn't have happened at a better time -- during the typically slow (for me) Christmas season.

And my local reseller was extremely helpful as well, providing me a loaner camera for the past week and a half. I gotta say that's one big bonus for buying locally -- you've got a much better chance of having a back-up plan and extra support when you have a local resource to go to.

Thanks again for everyone who posted to help me figure this one out. Your comments were invaluable!

Tim
Old January 11th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ristow View Post
Got my camera back today and in full, wonderful, glorious working condition again! According to the invoice it was an "electrical part". More specifically, it lists the "DC Jack" as the culprit so they must have replaced it completely. Not sure of the exact connection between that and the battery but clearly they are internally connected somehow.
I had the same issue back in Oct/Nov. The guy at JVC told me that there is a little switch between the battery and AC power port that let's the camera know which kind of power you are using. The problem is the switch gets stuck on the AC side (why can't it get stuck on the battery side, ugh!) I believe they actually replace the entire power board in my camera (and may have in your camera also.) Someone else here mentioned to me that after having the part replaced that it failed again...so now I'm afraid to plug it back into the AC power (and I can't have the camera go down again.)

Matthew
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Rogers View Post
I had the same issue back in Oct/Nov. The guy at JVC told me that there is a little switch between the battery and AC power port that let's the camera know which kind of power you are using. The problem is the switch gets stuck on the AC side (why can't it get stuck on the battery side, ugh!) I believe they actually replace the entire power board in my camera (and may have in your camera also.) Someone else here mentioned to me that after having the part replaced that it failed again...so now I'm afraid to plug it back into the AC power (and I can't have the camera go down again.)
A friend of mine had exaclty the same issue, the JVC thechnician told him it sometimes happens with the 100 series but it is very simple to repair. I think only the DC jack was replaced, not the intire power board.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #13
Major Player

Anyone have the contact info for the NJ factory. My 100 has to go back with the same problem.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems