XLR gain direction at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 18th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #1
Trustee

XLR gain direction

I keep turning these damn things the wrong way. There's no way of changing the direction of these like the focus and zoom rings is there? I'm I the only stupid old fogey that can't cope with turning pots UP to DECREASE the gain?
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Major Player

No, and no... =:-)
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Contributor

Yep, they are totally backwards.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes, agreed... totally backwards. What helped me finally be successful in remembering its backwardness is to visualize my thumb moving in a downward direction for lowering the gain and an upward direction for increasing the gain... and paying no attention to those arrows.

Now, I only get it wrong about half the time *grin*.

Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:45 AM   #5
Major Player

kitchen faucets and nuts, screws in general open counter-clockwise, so maybe the audio was designed by plumbers or mechanical engineers...

Anyways, the QUALITY of the audio is great (over 90 dB S/N ratio from line-in).
Old January 20th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
Yes, agreed... totally backwards. What helped me finally be successful in remembering its backwardness is to visualize my thumb moving in a downward direction for lowering the gain and an upward direction for increasing the gain... and paying no attention to those arrows.

Now, I only get it wrong about half the time *grin*.

Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions
I'll try that (while pretending I'm running a bath - thank you Petri). Its OK when I have time to think about it, but with unexpected changes of level it's hard to go against the habit of many years. I've been erring on the side of safety so far since there is such a good S/N ratio, trying to avoid having to change levels if possible during a shot in case I get it wrong and make things worse.

I used to be able to ride a bike with my hands crossed - a similar mental adjustment.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petri Kaipiainen View Post
Anyways, the QUALITY of the audio is great (over 90 dB S/N ratio from line-in).
Yes, amazingly clean audio on line-in. When I can feed mine with my mixer, I get beautiful results. And then I don't have to fiddle with those backwards A1 knobs.

And I found that I can even max out the gain knobs on line-in to give me the best dynamic range and almost no noise. Are these your findings, too, Petri?

Thanks,
Brian Brown
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
...and paying no attention to those arrows
Think of them not as arrows, but rather that the width of the symbol indicates the resulting the gain (e.g., width of the resulting level bars on the UV meter)

It is consistent with the menu wheel on the GL1/2 is it not? rotating the dial CCW (up viewed from the back) moves the selector UP on the menu.

Of course once you make the mistake in a shoot (as I have) you tend not to forget it again.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:36 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
And I found that I can even max out the gain knobs on line-in to give me the best dynamic range and almost no noise. Are these your findings, too, Petri?

Thanks,
Brian Brown
Yes, I tested my XH-A1 with SD302 and found out that when feeding +20 dB full scale signal to line-ins with the camera pots all the way open I got a sound file where peak samples were exactly 0 dBFS but no clipped samples. The noise bottom was below -90 dBFS!!!!!!!

Can not be more perfect than that with 16 bit system, and easy to adjust, just turn the pots all the way open! With SD302 limiter it is impossible to clip the audio if you understand anything about levels.

These tests were done in SD to find out the true PCM capability of the combination.

I dare to say XH-A1 has perfect audio quality with line in, only that it shoud have more connection/routing options and a limiter also on-cam. And MS on-camera mic system with the possibility of using just the M for ambience with one line-in mic... Well, nothing is perfect.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:33 PM   #10
Major Player

Wow, Petri, I knew line-in inputs on the A1 were good, but not that good. Those results are amazing.

I try to shoot with a mixer whenever I can... an AC-powered 12 in/ 4 out Mackie. Nothing as nice as your SD, but its four preamps are pretty clean and the overall sound is much nicer than the mic inputs on the A1. I can get a lot more dynamic range when using the mixer.

I guess now I know why.

Thanks!
Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
I knew line-in inputs on the A1 were good, but not that good.
Check for some more details from one set of measurements: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=89879
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #12
New Boot

line-in

just to summarize, gain all the way to max, and then automatic gain control is off right?????
Jim Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:55 AM   #13
Wrangler

What are the rest of the settings and sources (including their output levels) to go with the above?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders