z1u dirt inside lens ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:34 PM   #1
New Boot

z1u dirt inside lens ?

Hi
My z1u has dirt inside the front lens. Is there a way to remove the lens and clean it?

An other post I found on google said that the z1u and fx1 have flakeing inside the lens and stick to the lens etc.

If this is a sony z1u defect, will sony repair it for free.

Also could this cause a zoom focus problem.
Frank Kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #2
New Boot

z1u lens assy

The z1u lens assembly can be cleaned, after the lens is removed from the body there are only five screws and one flexible cable that is stuck with double sided tape to the electronic plastic assy. part.
There are two long guide pins and a white nylon clip on gear that just slips on the motor shaft , and moves the zoom lens. and what a cheap part for a $5000.00 camcorder. The dirt or fungus that is in the center of the zoom lens and front lens can then be cleaned and dust removed. Other sites report that the z1u and fx1 have this problem and maybe a Sony defect. Particles from inside the lens fall and stick to the lens. The lens assembly should be sealed from dust and moisture, but I can see that it is not the case, or dust and moisture are in there during manufacture letting fungus grow.
Frank Kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Frank I have a similar problem like your Z1 has or had. So your telling me you disconnected the lens and cleaned it or you had someone do it?
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #4
Major Player

I just found I have this problem too... A spec inside the camera lens. Like Isa said - Does anyone do we recommend opening up the camera ourselves or do we send it to sony?

Btw, My Z1u is off warranty...

Edit: I just noticed we are all based Maryland. May be this a geographical problem? ;)
Old June 18th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Now that is Scary! (^_^)

Yes any recommendations would be great.
Old June 18th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Major Player

Well, Monday I got an answer...

I just got off the phone with a Sony engineer named Matt. He said send it in for repair and DO NOT OPEN IT YOURSELF unless you really really know what you are doing. He said you could end with a much higher repair bill if you mess it up. Looks like my Sony is making a trip to New Jersey.

And he hasn't noticed any connection between Maryland and Z1U.
Old June 18th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #7
Major Player

I figured that was what might have to happen. How much did they quote you on the repair? I remember reading one post on another forum that it cost one guy 1,100 because they had to repair the lens :(
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #8
Major Player

I just sent it off. They're are supposed to fax me a quote as soon they get it. I'll post the the results as soon as i get them...
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Theodore
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:19 PM   #10
Major Player

Just got the email from Sony. $967 to remove the spot. Yeesh. Glad it's not my money.

I work for a government channel so the camera is covered by them and it's tax exempt. They have to replace the entire lens element. Takes them 2 1/2 hours @ $135 an hour, the replacement element costs around $650 then there is shipping and insurance. (sorry for lack of specific #'s, the invoice is at work)

So if you can live with your spot - I'd consider taking the repair money and putting it into your next camera fund.

I have add - the Sony people have been nothing but nice and the service is pretty quick. I posted the camera at 4:40PM Wednesday and got a repair estimate Monday at 11AM.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:40 PM   #11
Major Player

That is horrible news. As you said a good reason to put the repair cost to another camcorder (^_^). Thanks Theodore I owe you one.

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1