Letus Extreme for the JVC110? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 15th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #1
New Boot

Letus Extreme for the JVC110?

Any news on the version that doesn't relay through the JVC stock lens? ... timeframe?
Mike Altman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Appr end of april, start of may!
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Nystrom View Post
Appr end of april, start of may!
ugh, another month to wait :(
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:28 PM   #4
New Boot

If the Letus guys needs help, please contact me, When you gonna relay the device...??? Please be serius.... :/
Alan Farrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #5
Major Player

Take a look at Fresh DV video interview with Hien at NAB. He talks about the Letus Ulitmate and the relay lens. It's an interesting interview (despite the terrible mic usage)

http://www.freshdv.com/2008/04/nab-2...-ultimate.html

He says the B4 relay will be about 4500 dollars and be out in a couple of months. I would be realistic and not expect it before August.
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #6
Major Player

I heard Hien say this also. But come on, $4,500.00 for a simply relay lens? I swear he was talking about the price of the Ultimate.
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Note that this is speculative comment on my part, not based on any business knowledge or specific research, so please read with a jaundiced eye.

The B4 mount is not the mount system of the JVC GY HD--- or Canon XL camcorder families.

The $4,500 suggested might well be an ambit price which might come down a little if other alternative adaptor vendors also adopt the large format Letus relay and some economies of scale can come into play. The relay for B4 mount may have an even more restricted market for any number of reasons, not the least being the RED camera system or competing large format systems which may erupt into being in a short timeframe. An unsold inventory of custom lenses could be financially disastrous.

The P+S Technik product for B4 mount is the Pro35, which is a significantly different design to the Mini35 although there are some common components. From groundglass to flange of camcorder mount, it is shorter. The wider field-of-view of the 2/3" imager demands this. More finesse needed in the flip path to accommodate the wider field of view of the 2/3" camcorder to fit all the physical parts in without vignetting. It also costs much more to buy.

There are some problems associated with a wider video imaging area as enthusiastic adopters of the EX1 and its 1/2" system have discovered related to edge softness. 2/3" imagers associated with the B4 mount may offer even more difficult challenges.

My own playing around has revealed to me at least, that there is a more elegant solution required than the simple bunging of an achromat on front of a prime lens and pulling the GG closer if distortion-free and sharp image quality is to be had.

Across the entire population of Letus Extremes or Letus Ultimates to be sold, how many will be JVC GY-HD100 versions which require filpping?

Then there will be a related but different design required for the Canon XL family.

When existing mass produced parts can be bought in from third parties, costs might be kept down. Having a lens system designed, bugfixed and manufactured from scratch for a limited market is not a cheap exercise. If Quyen and Hien go it alone without other alternative adaptor vendors taking it up, then the price may become comparable to what P+S Technik charge for their products as the same costs and market returns then exist.

Give the brothers time and let them get it right because you are asking them to jump into a pretty deep pool this time round.

Last edited by Bob Hart; April 26th, 2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: errors
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #8
Major Player

I'll second that Bob.

When I first heard of this relay I always hoped it would be separate from p+S prices, but had a feeling it would be about this price.

I reckon if you took a straw poll of 35mm DOF adaptor users out there, the smallest proportion of users will be on the JVC's.

To invest in design, development and testing of a new lens for a multitude of differing cameras is not cheap. You also have to bear in mind how long people will keep buying your project and make a calculated assumption that sales will only last so long on the JVC for example. In my mind once all DOF adaptor users with JVC's have bought this relay, there will be very few future orders. It's about guessing how many you're going to sell to. Hopefully someone can disagree with good reason?

I'd have said that on the one hand, this relay will make the JVC more desirable than it already is. On the other, JVC's inability to compete with the rest of the major players in developing a next stage camera to rival the EX3 or 1 even will inevitably lead to a drop in unit sales. We are already considering the EX3 for our next camera. I personally prefer the physical build of the GYs to any Sony prosumer camera, but the EX3 knocks the socks off the JVC and their gesture of an upgrade with this ugly bolt on HDD/firestore unit does not convey much commitment on the part of JVC. I digress!

I think when you consider the work involved in designing a relay 4500 might be a tad high. I'd like to see it priced at around 2000, but we'll have to wait and see. Now the main thing to bear in mind is how much everything adds up to. 1000 for the adaptor, 4500 for the relay, well, you're in P+S miniC territory! What would you rather have for your JVC?

Letus need to be very careful here and get this price spot on as you might end up finding no JVC owners buy it at all! and those that can afford it sell their Extremes and buy a P+S miniC!

We'll have to wait and see!
Old April 27th, 2008, 01:40 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell View Post
I'll second that Bob.

When I first heard of this relay I always hoped it would be separate from p+S prices, but had a feeling it would be about this price.

I reckon if you took a straw poll of 35mm DOF adaptor users out there, the smallest proportion of users will be on the JVC's.

To invest in design, development and testing of a new lens for a multitude of differing cameras is not cheap. You also have to bear in mind how long people will keep buying your project and make a calculated assumption that sales will only last so long on the JVC for example. In my mind once all DOF adaptor users with JVC's have bought this relay, there will be very few future orders. It's about guessing how many you're going to sell to. Hopefully someone can disagree with good reason?

I'd have said that on the one hand, this relay will make the JVC more desirable than it already is. On the other, JVC's inability to compete with the rest of the major players in developing a next stage camera to rival the EX3 or 1 even will inevitably lead to a drop in unit sales. We are already considering the EX3 for our next camera. I personally prefer the physical build of the GYs to any Sony prosumer camera, but the EX3 knocks the socks off the JVC and their gesture of an upgrade with this ugly bolt on HDD/firestore unit does not convey much commitment on the part of JVC. I digress!

I think when you consider the work involved in designing a relay 4500 might be a tad high. I'd like to see it priced at around 2000, but we'll have to wait and see. Now the main thing to bear in mind is how much everything adds up to. 1000 for the adaptor, 4500 for the relay, well, you're in P+S miniC territory! What would you rather have for your JVC?

Letus need to be very careful here and get this price spot on as you might end up finding no JVC owners buy it at all! and those that can afford it sell their Extremes and buy a P+S miniC!

We'll have to wait and see!
Now what I heard for the hd100 relay lens price was quoted to me at $1200 and under... If the price of the relay lens alone is anything over that, you've got to be kidding me. This quote came from letus to me directly. This was also over 3 months ago. If you're going to spend 4500 on a relay alone, you are wasting your money in my opinion. Listen, I love letus and what they have made so far, I own a Letus Extreme. But quite honestly if they are going to have something be around $7,000 for the adapter and relay, you wouldn't be getting your monies worth. Then you should just get a P+S mini35 which is honestly built way better and much more of the professional device to be had.

The letus device is very bulky and should very much have built in the rails like the mini35, and slimed down the overall size. If you are in the range of the 7K prices, you very well better have a product worth it. For the price of the relay alone on the Letus (thats if the 4.5K price is true) $4500 you could buy a P+S mini35 300 series with jvc relay lens and any lens plate you want... I don't think ANYONE in their right mind would spend the money on letus, over the mini, not at that price.

I hope they make the right move, because there will be a lot of people upset at the false hope they had of their product. They came out with a LetusHD100 for $900 bux with a built in relay... sure there was a 1.8x factor and an extra stop of light loss, but look at the prices now... from 900 to almost 7k... they have made improvements, but not any that could justify an increase of that kind of price. The build and design of the mini35 is amazing and extremely professional. Its solid and accurate. Its truly a professional device. Until you are at that level, you shouldn't price even close, and im sorry to say, they aren't close.

sorry for the rant, its late, i'm tired, and I just want my letus relay that I've been waiting for, for months now. This is starting to look like RED all over again...
Old April 27th, 2008, 04:32 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Just to be sure I have not sown confusion, - the proposed relay for B4 mount can NOT be for JVC GY-HD--- or Canon XL camcorder families but for the likes of big ENG style systems. Think Betacam SP or HDW950.

The $4,500 mentioned above was for B4 mount.

The MINI35C is not for all of the JVC GY-HD--- camera family or Canon XL camera family as it is ilke the Redrock M2 and does not flip the image.

It is for cameras which have the inbuilt flip function like the JVC GY-HD250, or for operators of non-flip cameras who are happy to flip in post for the lesser light loss of the non-flip adaptor.

Last edited by Bob Hart; April 27th, 2008 at 04:37 AM. Reason: errors
Old April 27th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #11
Major Player

Now I'm maybe a bit confused here.

I thought the B4 was for all chip sizes, different models for different cameras. So Bob, are you saying that the only relay Letus are bringing out is for 2/3 inch cameras?

I distinctly remember hearing that there would be one to fit the GYs.

Maybe clarification from Letus would be good at this point, and if possible a ballpark figure for each model.

Letus, are you guys reading?

I'd like to know the answer on this as I'm placing an order with Zacuto this week for an Extreme plus kit, and don't want to find I've wasted our money, when a P+S miniC would have been the better option. I'm only ordering the Letus because of the forthcoming relay!!

Stuart
Old April 27th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #12
Inner Circle

No. Previous posts here have suggested Le Bros are developing a JVC GY-HD--- relay.

The more recent post above suggests that they are going the extra mile and developing another relay for B4 mount as well, which would mean that JVC owners would not miss out.

I understand the same relay for JVC may have utility with the Sony Z7?? camera which apparently uses the same lens mount as the JVC GY-HD--- family.

Given that the ruimour mill is running, as mentioned above, some clarifying info from Aaron, Quyen or Hien might be desirable.
Old April 27th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #13
Major Player

Bob, it looks like you are right!

http://www.adapterplace.com/componen...id,65/lang,en/

However, do we assume he was ONLY talking about the B4 on the Fresh DV video? So what's the price going to be for the other models? I really don't imagine it to be much under 2000 dollars?! How much different in production costs can it be to the other models? Maybe it will be near 4500 dollars? Who knows?

It would be nice to hear something official from Letus to clear all this speculation up!!

Letus.....over to you!
Old April 27th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #14
Major Player

Ok sorry for making anyone confused about my last post... There was a few things i should have said that i didnt....

1) the 4.5K price we are talking about is for the B4 and I Know this, my point is, if the B4 mount is that price I am estimating that the JVC mount is going to be close to that price because they seem to want to price everything higher because of their assurance (cockiness) that their products compete with P+S mini35. I was given a price range of 1200 and under for the jvc relay and I was just stating that if they were ballsy enough to even double that, it would be outrageous.

2) The comparison to the P+S was for the older 300 Mini35 not the miniC. So yes the direct comparison I was making still holds up, that model does flip the image, and is very much so within the price range of what letus is asking for, for the B4 relay alone.

I know I sound like I am after letus in a mean way, but I truly am not. I'm just making an honest opinion of the device. It works fine, but I have used both and I can say many times over that letus's remark of them being even close if not better than P+S is flat out wrong. The build quality is not even in the same ball park. The image is not even in the same ball park.

Every time letus puts out a new device they talk it up for it being the best one out. But yet they come out with another one saying "ok no that one was just ok this is the best one now".... For example, EVERY Letus that has come out since the flip, has had in the description "Absolutely silent" in it, as they refer to their previous one having some small noise.... They keep making this remark instead of saying the truth "Quieter than the last model" I've owned them all up to the extreme, they ALL make the same noise, and yes the extreme makes noise even though its labeled "absolutely silent". Instead they should use the proper terms and mesure the exact noise with a Decibel meter, and just state the actual amount of noise. These arent items that cost 50-100 bux, these are items that are $1,200+... their specs should be properly labeled.

They need a PR person to represent this company, this is something thats making people frustrated with their services, from the estimated times of product arrival, to price speculation, to changing word of mouth info... If you dont have the answer don't tell people it. You create false statements that people then look forward to seeing, and then its ultimately a let down in the end.

The reason why I liked this company when I first started buying their products, is because the price point was perfect for what they offered. And they flipped the image. After that they started with better light loss, and clarity. All great improvements. But As they stated on their interview, they are MAKING UP the numbers now... "I dont know why we picked that price we just like it" Thats something no one should say when trying to prove to people that your product is superior. That just shows that you made up a number that sounds good and doesn't reflect at all how the quality of the product is.

Here is the main lesson to learn... When putting out a product only let the public know the things you are definite about. They are new in this lime light so its not their fault, but it is very frustrating when you get different answers from everyone. Even from within the company.

I hope they make the right choice with their product line, I would like to see them go far. Dont get cocky, Just put out a good product.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #15
New Boot

April ended and we're into the first week of May... Any news on an updated Extreme coming out with a JVC relay?

Will it be a single device like the LetusHD or a relay that attaches to the current version of the Extreme?

Please chime in Letus crew.
Mike Altman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods