Sony Z7U Owners - Lens Issue - Please Read at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 15th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony Z7U Owners - Lens Issue - Please Read

For everyone who owns the Z7U....

...check the following:

1>Auto focus
>>>How long does it take to focus, regardless of zoom level? Is it locked on or does it like searching? Extremely slow. Some users are experiencing up to 3-second delay to lock on a target, others are experiencing no auto focus and constant searching.

2>With the lens in Servo mode (switch is in the front bottom left), do the following:
a. Zoom into something, regardless of what, but use the actual ring (holding onto the little knob)
b. Let the camera focus and then just tap the knob.
c. Does the image shift / move at all?
*. It appears that the lens is very loose and this issue, while Sony might say it's normal, would totally screw up certain shots, in that the slightest touch changes the view by about 1/32nd of an inch based on the LCD screen.

I'm gathering an approximate number of people who are experiencing this issue as it seems to be consistent with almost all cameras currently available. I'll be talking to my Sony reps this week to find resolution on some of this.

PM, post, or call me w/ any questions.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

1>Auto focus
>>>How long does it take to focus, regardless of zoom level? Is it locked on or does it like searching? Extremely slow. Some users are experiencing up to 3-second delay to lock on a target, others are experiencing no auto focus and constant searching.

2>With the lens in Servo mode (switch is in the front bottom left), do the following:
a. Zoom into something, regardless of what, but use the actual ring (holding onto the little knob)
b. Let the camera focus and then just tap the knob.
c. Does the image shift / move at all?
*. It appears that the lens is very loose and this issue, while Sony might say it's normal, would totally screw up certain shots, in that the slightest touch changes the view by about 1/32nd of an inch based on the LCD screen.

2> Do this in manual or auto mode?
2> a. Hold onto what little knob?
Jaums Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #3
Major Player

2> Do this in manual or auto mode?
2> a. Hold onto what little knob?[/QUOTE]

***Either manual or auto, as long as the lens is set to Servo mode

***The knob is the little "thing" to help move the lens ring...not sure how else to explain it...black, about 1/3", round, on left of zoom lens, goes up and down.....
Old March 17th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Update

This issue was just confirmed by Sony as not being normal. Some cameras have a tight mechanism, others are loose and have play to them.

So...this is what needs to be done at this point...

Call Sony at 1-800-883-6817

Follow the prompts, mention the issue, and have it documented, as well as requesting a follow-up call and what you would like in terms of it being fixed.

They have confirmed that this should not be happening, so now it's just a matter of getting them to do something.
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

focusing

mine is lose also, I have been shooting every in manual since my 1st wedding that I was having some much trouble staying in focus on auto whereas my FX1 never does this. I don't know how close yours can be to an object and still focus even in manual but mine at 2.7 ft want focus on a cd when the zoom ring is at 52.8, I have to turn it down to 30 to be able to focus. I would think a $6000 camera with a better lens would prove to be better then a $3000 camera???? I like to shoot in auto when things are changing fast and this camera drifts in and out of focus all the time so I switched to manual or use my FX1.
Bruce Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:31 AM   #6
Major Player

With 650~ views, there are no posts to this? Makes no sense.

Here's another fun issue that I've now seen myself and others have been experiencing...

Film several short clips with the CF device and the beginning few frames will appear jagged or another color for some reason, and upon stopping recordation, you will lose part of the end of whatever is filmed. Some files cannot be brought into Premiere, either.

It's really disappointing that these issues are common throughout EVERY camera and nothing is being done about it yet...I'm supposed to be getting a call this coming week so we'll see what happens, but everyone who owns these cameras really needs to call Sony and make a case. Otherwise, nothing will get done.
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

red on clips issue

I get the same thing on short clips, if I bring them into Premiere and you look at the 1st frames they are red, if I try and play these in Premiere it crashes and I get message "sorry a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere to shut down". I shoot a lot of short clips during bridal prep and photo sessions. On long clips its ok. Some clips start off green then fade into the picture and there ok. The tape is ok. My friend John has the same trouble with his but Edius will play them. I have sent some of these clips to Sony to look at. I lost the Sony # I'll have to call Aramtos to get it but the tech I sent the clips to is Dominic at dominic.pellegrino@am.sony.com.
I have recorded lots of short and long clips by just pushing the record button on the back of the MRU unit and they all were ok.?? I also tried the MRU unit with my VX2000 coming out the firewire and the camera won't control it but you can use the rec and stop button on the MRU unit. Records SD avi and when brought into Adobe or Matrox the clips need to be renderd--Bruce
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:35 PM   #8
Contributor

Focusing and CF Issues

I'll be shooting a wedding with 2 of my new Z7U cameras on Saturday and I'll report on both of these issues on Monday. On initial testing, both with focusing and with importing footage into Adobe Premiere CS3, I have not had these problems. In fact, so far I am very pleased with the cameras. The real test, of course, will be this weekend. Stay tuned...
Stephen Gradin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:10 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Levy View Post
With 650~ views, there are no posts to this? Makes no sense.

It's really disappointing that these issues are common throughout EVERY camera and nothing is being done about it yet...I'm supposed to be getting a call this coming week so we'll see what happens, but everyone who owns these cameras really needs to call Sony and make a case. Otherwise, nothing will get done.
I look forward to hearing what Sony has to say to you next week about the Z7U issues. If your experiece is anything like mine . . . be prepared to fight to get Sony to take the proper action that their customer bases deserves --especially when an entire production run is defective. Feel free to email me.. Aside from other Sony model problems, we just opened two new Z7U's to find they have both the focus problem and the lens issue. Haven't had much time to play with them, but one camera doesn't hunt for focus as much as the other.
Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Major Player

03/24 update

03/24 UPDATE

Oh, if only everyone knew how many hours I've spent on the phone....ridiculous. Here's the story for those that want something done about this...

>You MUST MUST MUST call Sony and report the issues if it's affecting your cameras. They didn't have enough calls to warrant a mass repair / recall as of last Friday and for all of those who own the cameras that ARE experiencing any of these issues, it's quite foolish not to make it known.

>Will have an answer from Sony mfg (from Japan) sometime today or tomorrow.

>Current status - Sony is gathering info to do a repair/recall/fix on some models based on resellers and are currently trying to determine if it was certain batches or all cameras. If a recall does take place, S/H will be covered by Josh/Cindy. For specs, either contact one of them or myself.

>Other fun issues - rolling-shutter - I think it's blown out of proportion A LOT but it's horrible when it happens - spoke w/ a Sony rep last Friday about this, too.....we'll see what happens.
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #11
Contributor

Focusing and CF Issues

After shooting with the Z7U this past weekend, I have an update. I have not seen all of the footage yet, but I plan on editing this week and will see all the footage in short order. I'll do a follow up, if something else is worth reporting.

1. Yes, there seems to be problems with auto focus, which is too bad. I have not discerned why this happens, it seems sporadic. I was under low light conditions when it happened. I remember the background was brighter than the foreground subjects I was filming. I've had this problem before under these conditions with other auto focus cams, but it really is obvious with the Z7U. When it happens, you'll know it. Actually, I'm glad it's obvious. I would not want to be upset looking at out of focus footage on a monitor, days after I thought everything looked fine in the viewfinder. I do manual focus almost all the time anyway, so this does not really bother me too much. But it would be nice to use it once in awhile (folks walking towards/away from the camera, etc.) I do like the constant feet distance readout in the viewfinder (when you slide the zoom ring to manual position). I use that on wide lens, when there's no time to zoom in/out (since the zoom motor is a bit slow). I'm wondering if this problem is at all related to the fact that this camera uses CMOS chips, with the rolling shutter. Does anyone know if the V1U has this problem?

2. I did not have any major trouble with the CF memory cards. I use Sandisk 16 gig, 133S cards. I DID NOT use Cache recording, but I did use Syncro. I try not to stop and then start recording quickly, unless I mistakenly stop before I should. It appears the card needs a couple of seconds to save each shot, before recording the next shot. I did have one clip, about 60 seconds, that would not play properly in Premiere. I have no idea why. It would play in Adobe Bridge okay, but would freeze Adobe Premiere and also disable my HD monitor display (screen goes to black). I use Matrox RT.X2 with Dell 24 inch HD Computer display monitor. I didn't need that clip, so I just deleted it from my hard drive. If I really needed it, I have it on tape. All my other clips seemed fine, no dropouts, very clean. Only thing, it took longer than I thought to download footage to computer. Not so much the actual transfer, but the indexing and conforming that Premiere does. That took about as long as the transfer.

3. As far as the zoom ring being loose, I find that somewhat an issue on the professional cameras I use, the Sony 790 and HD 750. So, I am used to that. I don't notice it being too loose on my Z7U's, just a little. Not a big deal, just something to be careful when reaching for the lens to make adjustments. I think the lens is quite nice, with the manual iris switch and temporary auto iris button being where it should be. Just wish it would zoom in a little farther and do auto focus better.

Let me know if Sony does or already has addressed any lens issues or who to contact about the auto focus problem, my only real complaint right now.
Stephen Gradin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #12
Major Player

I shot a wedding monday night (yes, monday night) and this problem happened to me. I was recording to both tape and CF at the same time and I plan on posting a clip later today. The only time I noticed it was when I zoomed down the aisle to get the bridesmaids walking up. It also seemed to happen roughly at the same distance. There wasn't anything that I noticed the camera hunting for (lights, candles, sparkly stuff). I've shot in this church tons of times with the FX-1 and XH-A1 and never noticed this.
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Marshal, I been on the phone with Sony and Armatos

Have been working with Sony tech Dominic about the CF card recording trouble and the auto focus, he keeps sayng there' not getting these reports but I know 3 people here in Florida that have these problems. The bad clips freeze adobe pro CS2, but work in CS3. Here's is the link I gave to Sony on the trouble with my CF cards on short clips. A video of the 1st 14 clips from the CF card. 22 out of 54 were like these bad ones.
link to video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVJIHy7NA-Q
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:45 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Reynolds View Post
Have been working with Sony tech Dominic about the CF card recording trouble and the auto focus, he keeps sayng there' not getting these reports but I know 3 people here in Florida that have these problems. The bad clips freeze adobe pro CS2, but work in CS3. Here's is the link I gave to Sony on the trouble with my CF cards on short clips. A video of the 1st 14 clips from the CF card. 22 out of 54 were like these bad ones.
link to video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVJIHy7NA-Q

I've been in contact with some reps from NJ and Japan and they're trying to figure out a solution to these issues. One of the 'problems', though, is that practically no one has called and made a case and if that remains then it's only natural for Sony to assume everything, on a large scale, is fine. So, until people start making light of these issues who knows what will happen.
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:38 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Levy View Post
I've been in contact with some reps from NJ and Japan and they're trying to figure out a solution to these issues. One of the 'problems', though, is that practically no one has called and made a case and if that remains then it's only natural for Sony to assume everything, on a large scale, is fine. So, until people start making light of these issues who knows what will happen.
I called and waited in queue and then it rolled over to an answering machine and I left the info requested and my issues. 2 weeks later have not received a call back. Right after I called them Josh at VSA called and said he put me on the issues list, so I assume that is good enough documentation....
Bruce Ostrout is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270