Is this a lav microphone, or hair bead? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 23rd, 2008, 01:11 PM   #1
Wrangler

Is this a lav microphone, or hair bead?

Eagle-eyed fans of Lost are trying to determine if the end of a lavalier microphone was visible hanging from over the ear of a cast member in a close-up, or whether it's a hair bead.

Give it a look. Have you ever seen a lav that looks like this (or, conversely, a jewelry accessory)?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 01:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Knecht Schmidt View Post
Eagle-eyed fans of Lost are trying to determine if the end of a lavalier microphone was visible hanging from over the ear of a cast member in a close-up, or whether it's a hair bead.

Give it a look. Have you ever seen a lav that looks like this (or, conversely, a jewelry accessory)?
It's definitely a mic.

I just tested 16 different models of wired lavaliers so I have seen and been handling most of the mics out there. The ones that I have seen that have a hard windscreen shaped like that, if memory serves were the Sennheiser MKE-2 Gold, the DPA 4071 and the Sanken COS-11X (see attached images from my article).
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/3749/1206298988.jpg
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/3749/1206299054.jpg
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/3749/1206299109.jpg

Since Lost is a television show, I would be willing to bet it is the Sanken dressed with some tubes to look like an earring. Most professional sound mixers in television and film seem to primarily use the Sanken. Very clever rig.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:12 PM   #3
Wrangler

Looks like we have a match. Nice work. Thanks!

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM   #4
Trustee

I JUST finished this episode 2 minutes ago and was wondering the same thing! And then to stumble onto this thread moments later...I wonder why they didn't reshoot it...it was pretty obvious.
Old March 24th, 2008, 04:03 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter View Post
I JUST finished this episode 2 minutes ago and was wondering the same thing! And then to stumble onto this thread moments later...I wonder why they didn't reshoot it...it was pretty obvious.
You really think they should reshoot that? I'm sure most people wouldn't have caught that at all. Very nice rig job though.
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #6
Major Player

Some years ago when my kids were young we were watching a low budget Kid's Sci Fi movie on video. I forget the name.

What I clearly remember is a scene where Richard Moll (playing a bad guy) steps out of a very shiny old black Lincoln Continental from the 60's (the ones with the suicide doors).

As he steps out of the car they cut to a close up shot of his feet coming out of the car and hitting the ground. When he closes the door you can clearly see the entire film crew, camera, mic boom, etc reflected in the shiny black door!

I remember thinking at the time that this must really be a low budget film if they didn't bother to fix something that obvious.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #7
New Boot

I really hope that poor mic was painted by props b/c it looks like it's had a rough life!

(and yeah my vote is for the Sanken COS-11X)

Last edited by Joe Voorhees; March 26th, 2008 at 04:11 PM.
Joe Voorhees is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio