Pixellation with DVDs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 30th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Pixellation with DVDs

When playing my DVDs, one of my customer's DVD players pixellates intermittently but ONLY with my DVDs.

One out of 10 of my customers or so has similar or worse issues with my DVDs.

Are there any rendering settings other than Mpeg2 Vegas NTSC DVDA template that might allow for better compatability?

I have brought this issue up in the past with no solutions, hoping someone has a suggestion that wasn't offered before.

Would burning them at slow burn speeds help? I have begun burning at 2x rather than 16X or 8X just for safety's sake, but I doubt that will help.

Bill R has said there just isn't much to be done, but hope springs eternal and all that.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Are you using the standard template with no changes? I tend to burn my DVDs with DVDA but change the bitrate on short projects to 8Mb. I also use 4x burning or so, and quality DVDs. I find I rarely have any issues at all.

Also, when you burn your DVDs do you have any other programs running? Is your DVD burner internal or external? How much RAM in your machine? Have you don a defrag recently of the drives where you store your video files? I burn my DVDs to an .iso file first, and then create my DVDs from that. I also tend to shut down EVERYTHING other than my DVD burning software so that there is nothing else trying to compete for the CPU or the drives.

Maybe some combination of these things will help you.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:11 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks for the suggestions, Perrone. I use an internal drive, am maxed on RAM, but I have not been as attentive to not shutting down everything down as I should.
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:13 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If you have access to this customer and their DVD player you might create a couple test disks at lower bitrates.

It could just be that this particular player doesn't quite support the full DVD hardware spec.

You'd have to decide if this customer is worth the time - it would take some time to figure out, but at least then you'd know. If they are a key client, buy them a new DVD player!

Edward Troxel has some good guidance on this issue in his newsletters, try Vol. 1 #7.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:16 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Seth. This is an important customer actually. I will burn a couple at lower bit rates and see what happens. I'll also check Edward's articles..
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:38 AM   #6
Regular Crew

best chance for playable dvd's

Vegas and DVDA have default bitrates that are too high for some of the public out there. I never go above a 6 and the default is 8.
A lot of people have old dvd players out there so i made sure that i have a crappy DVD player for testing purposes. I also only use Taiyo Yuden DVD's because they have the fewest problems with compatibility. Hope this helps
Jay Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:20 AM   #7
Inner Circle

A good guide is set max bit rate at 8, average below 7 and do not fill DVD more than 4G, less is better. Older DVD players do not like high data rates as they do not have the time to re-read any part of the disc that may be a problem and thus will display a defect or even lock up. I do most of my encoding with TMPGenc 4.0Express which allows one to set all these parameters. Also use Taiyo Yuden, burn with Nero with verify at 12 times for the 16 times discs.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:27 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Jay, my experiences are different than yours.
I've used 8 as my Max for a very long time and have never had any complaints.
I do agree with you on blank media. I use either Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden with no problems whatsoever.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:41 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I have had a problem burning at 8mb with my old DVD player. In fact, I had a problem with a Hollywood DVD which made me notice the problem. I was watching The Matrix Reloaded and at just stuttered and sputtered at the point where the fast, daylight action took place. At work it was fine. I bought a new DVD player and have had no problems.

I'd agree to keep the bitrate down if you can, and also suggest to keep the amount burned to 4GB or less.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:02 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I am really glad for your suggestions. I feel confident that lowering the bit rate will help, since the suggestion has been offered multiple times now.

I will also burn at 4X rather than the higher speeds.

I must confess I have printed while burning, but always tested the discs and while they always work fine on my player, not so on my customer's in those occasional instances. I actually need a second DVD player, and will find the cheapest crappiest one I can to preview with. Should help.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old April 8th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #11
Major Player

Actually, I did that. I bought a cheap Cyberhome ($25) DVD player and it plays everything. Have had the least trouble playing discs on it. Go figure!
Old April 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #12
Major Player

a new cheap player will play more discs than an older even more expensive player. look for a 5+ year old player to sample discs maybe?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...