Kessler Crane - Test Run at Wedding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old May 13th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #1
Major Player

Kessler Crane - Test Run at Wedding

http://www.omiatek.com/dvinfo/KesslerCrane1st.mov.m4v

12ft Crane, no remote head. The video has a few of the crane shots from the ceremony.
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Jon,

How'd you like using your Kessler Crane? And what are your overall experiences with it so far?

We also have the Kessler, but the 8ft, and with the 5ft short attachment. (We didn't think we needed anything over 8ft yet)

Now I'm kinda researching for a pan/tilt remote system (under 1K preferably!).

Best,
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Well, I too ordered the 8ft, used it and then purchased the 12ft addon. I wish it was 16ft, as you know, it's currently 12ft max. It's great that you can use it 5.5, 8 or 12 depending on your shot. I use 12ft most of the time, space permitting.

I have 3 different remote heads, the Bescor, Servocity and Camera Turret. The Bescor is great for pans horizontally and minor pans vertically. The servocity head, works ok but wait till they have the new updated version in the next couple of months and it should work really well 360 on either axis. The camera turret works really well but its also really expensive. I would recommend the Bescor, it works really well, I just didn't use it this time and it's only $150 with cabling.

I have another Crane wedding on the 24th. I will post indoor footage when it's available.
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #4
Major Player

Wow! Utilizing the crane really adds a different dimension to a event video. Thanks for Sharing Jon
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:59 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Jon.

We use the 5ft add on for indoor shooting and works pretty well. The 8ft for outdoor, and seems to be enough length to get wide panaromic shots that we mainly use it for.

We also shoot with the Canon XL2, which is too heavy for the Bescor (I asked Eric at Kessler, and he didn't recommend it). The Servo City remote head might be the answer. Do you know which model to look out for ?

Best,
Old May 15th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #6
Major Player

Same Model, 985. They are just adding different motors to give it better movement. I will post in my other thread on Servocity Remote Head thread.

Jon
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #7
Tourist

Servocity camera head

Hello

I was reading all information about 985 pan til system from Servocity web and I think is better wait for improvements. I was asking to servocity for performance in slow speed and they donīt answerme.

Thanks for all information post it.
Excuse me my bad english.

Libardo
Libardo Lozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #8
Major Player

I don't see why someone would have to send back the Servo City head. It functions properly but it just doesn't move slow enough. I was one of the first orders and I would assume that if someone needed to send it back, 4 times from what I read, they have very low technical ability(note, he had to pay someone to make an adapter plate for the head to mount to his tripod. A 30 min job at most and a drill). The upgraded gearing 13.5/1 is much better than the stock gearing but it's still not really slow enough for really precise movements.

Servocity isn't geared toward our market but more robotics. Exact camera movement wasn't at the top of the priority list when it was developed. As for any product, in its infancy, will have many redesigns. Either wait for them to fix all of the issues or buy something that costs 2x's as much that is meant to do what you need it to do. Just my 2cents.

Please do not post about the servo city remote head in the thread, please go to this thread which goes into detail about the Servo City Head. This thread is more for crane than head

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=110021

Thanks,

Jon
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:20 PM   #9
Major Player

Jon,

Thanks for sharing the clip of the Kessler crane in action. I am considering a jib for my Wedding Videography business and have been looking at the Kessler 8ft.

Do you use the crane much indoors? If so do you have any clips you could post?

Also what kind of tripod or stand do you have your crane mounted to?
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:16 PM   #10
Major Player

The crane works great indoors but note that it's hard to swing around because people are unaware that it's in motion. Other than that its great to have a birds eye view.

I have a wedding coming up were I will get to use it and I will post footage. The last wedding I used it indoors isn't worth posting, most shots were just ariel shots, hardly any movement, it was used like a really tall tripod.

Jon
Old June 4th, 2008, 05:14 AM   #11
Trustee

Jon,
Do you have your clip on windows media or real player? I'd like to see it, but have a conflict with quick time on my internet computer. Btw, I just bought the rest of the stuff from Adam (kessler crane, tripod, head, dolly) and can;'t wait to get it.
Jeff,
Email me your phone number. I want to give you a call about a couple of things.
Thanks
bruce Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #12
Major Player

Download VLC Player and you will be able to watch almost any type of media you want to watch.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

Then go here and download a copy of the clip

http://www.omiatek.com/dvinfo
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hey Jon, are you using Kessler's Hercules head with your crane? I'm debating weather to buy that or just rent a beefy head when I need it, since the crane doesn't really see much action. I'm know I'm not putting it on my 503 anymore.
Eric Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #14
Major Player

I use the Hercules Kessler head. In my opinion, the swivel head would probably get the job done in most instances. The problem with all other heads is that unless you already have one that can support the weight it's not worth buying one. Considering the cameras most of use would make the head worthless because it's meant for a really heavy camera.

I am taking my crane to a wedding on Saturday to use at a Reception. I will post some footage once I get it.

Jon
Old July 13th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Omiatek View Post
I use the Hercules Kessler head. In my opinion, the swivel head would probably get the job done in most instances. The problem with all other heads is that unless you already have one that can support the weight it's not worth buying one. Considering the cameras most of use would make the head worthless because it's meant for a really heavy camera.

I am taking my crane to a wedding on Saturday to use at a Reception. I will post some footage once I get it.

Jon
Any footage to share yet? I'd love to see some of the Kessler in action. I am considering one (though with out any mechanized head for financial restrictions).
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms