Can MacBook Pro be a Monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old May 20th, 2008, 02:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Can MacBook Pro be a Monitor

Hi

I've just picked up my new HF10, I going to need to spend some time reading the manual, but first footage played back through our Sony 40" LCD looks encouraging considering the size of the thing.

I've done a search on the above topic and didn't get much joy. I'm aware that you could use iMovie as monitor Application, but this thing has Component Out and HDMI and potentially SCART output.

Anyone thought or know how to possibly use a MacBook Pro as a monitor?

Sorry if I'm being ridiculous, but if you don't ask ....

Cheers

Michael
Michael Lyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Major Player

I believe that the only input supported is Firewire and that cam doesn't have it, am I correct?

In other words, how is iMovie going to see the output of the cam without firewire?
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I can't think of very many laptops, if any, that could be used as a monitor without Firewire, but one of the nice things about AVCHD is that you can just pop the SD card out of the camera and into your laptop to review the clips on the laptop screen, just as you would do with a digital camera. Obviously, you couldn't do that with the HF10's built in memory, however.
Dave Rosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:37 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys

Yes, firewire or lack of it seems to be the issue. I really like to focus manually.

Maybe I'm asking to much from this little cam. I was just thinking that if I could see a little better (CODE: I'm showing my age here, ie: I can't see that well on the little LCD screen even with focus assist) I might be able to better assess my focussing.

Maybe it's all about practice. I didn't want to spend a whole heap of extra dollars purchasing an external Mini LCD screen / monitor to check my focussing.

I've done a bit more shooting and I'm really impressed with this little cam.

I got it because I rent my cameras and I've been sitting here for a few weeks with no HD rushes to play with on my new Intel MacPro. I've just upgraded from FCP 4.5HD to FCS2 etc

Thanks anyway

Michael
Michael Lyas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion