Firewire does not work in DV but it does in HDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 9th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Firewire does not work in DV but it does in HDV

Hello,

I have a JVC GY HD 110 Europe Model, and use the camera to do a lot of tapeless recording in studio and recording straight to a hard disk pc. A few days ago the firewire connection in DV stopped working, buy the way I follow the procedures on connecting the firewire cable to the camera and the pc both off, then I turn the computer on and then the camera, so the firewire card in the camera is not blown up. I thought it was because I recently I reinstalled the whole system (I've used the camera without problems with the old system lots of times), that is reformatting the hard drive and make a clean windows XP professional installation (with service pack 2 and service pack 3) even thought it worked once in the new system (I was able to make a wholed recording). My surprise is that when I change mode to HDV the pc recognises the camera with no problem.

So I took the camera to the local JVC repair shop and there was no problem, they even show me the camera connected to their pc in dv mode and the whole thing worked fine.

I took it back and have tried 3 different pc's and in none of them works. And the trouble is I have a very important recording (2+hours) tomorrow morning and would need to record in DV not in HDV because DV consumes less hard disk space than HDV and would like to avoid recording in tape.

Can anybody help?
Jose Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #2
Major Player

I had a similar panic last week - pretty much the same thing. Momentary lapse of concentration: I was attempting to import HDV and the camera could not be seen by FCP at all...as it turned out I was in a DV easy setup (different project) mode rather than 720p25. Once altered the camera was again seen.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hello,

The thing is I think I have everything set up right in the camera (I've done it before, so I dont know if by mistake I have touch a deeper menu setting):

1. IEEE1394 button (on side of camera) is on DV
2. In menu settings the camera is in DV.
3. DV Light is on in the recording mode (in the other side of the camera, in the 3-CCD where depending on the mode HDV or DV lights up).

So I trully dont know whats going on, I worked once and now is not. This pc was only connected to the web for updating reasons, then is always off the net.
Old June 9th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #4
Wrangler

Are you in VTR mode when attempting to digitize?
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello again,

No I'm not in VTR mode. My intention is to record straight to the hard drive of the PC (without using tape) with the firewire cable, but the pc does not recognise the camera in DV (it does in HDV), as I said before everything in the camera is set up for DV as far as I know (I've done it before), what I dont know if I've touched something in the menu to mess things up, but I trully doubt it.

IN the menu:

Under Video Format
1. Frame rate - 50/25
2. Rec DV-25p
3. Aspect - 16:9
4. HDV PB OUTPUT - NATIVE
5. PB TAPE - AUTO
6. OUTPUT TERMINAL - AUTO
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #6
Wrangler

I'm not the best equipped to help with XP driver issues, which is what this probably is. My only suggestion is to reboot the computer before turning on the camera. I would hope it would be recognized immediately as a new DV device.
Old June 9th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #7
Major Player

Do you see a valid Fire-Wire connection in your Network settings?
Also check the device manager -Hardware- if there is a yellow triangle on your fire-wire port while connected.
If that is the case, refresh/repair the driver. It can happen while connecting/disconnecting that the driver is confused.
By the way, HDV takes less space on your harddrive then DV, as the mt2 files are different then the AVI-DV file compression.
Old June 9th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hello people,

I'll try tomorrow morning again to see...it must be a driver issue, because I tried with a live Linux Ubuntu and it worked fine, the thing that confuses me is what happend to things go wrong. Everything in the firewire under Devide Manager is okay...no triangle.

I thought HDV comsumes more hard-drive space per second than DV.
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:20 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hello people,

It must be a driver problem (of course) with firewire, but only in DV (it works in HDV) with 3 pc's. I tried a fourth one and it worked. But will have to look much deeper to try to be able to solve this problem with the other computers.
Jose Milan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems