Critical : Grip Belt Broken !!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 10th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #1
New Boot

Critical : Grip Belt Broken !!!!

XH-A1 has a manufacture defect :

http://www.assars.it/public/1215636271.jpg
Antonio Guarnieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Guarnieri View Post
XH-A1 has a manufacture defect :

http://www.assars.it/public/1215636271.jpg
Thanks for the heads up and sorry to hear about this happening to your camera. I just checked mine to make sure it looks OK.

I think it would be more accurate to say YOUR XH-A1 has (may have?) a manufacturing defect. Just like my Rode SM3 shockmount which is being replaced under warranty.

Maybe I seem just a bit pedantic, but until I'm aware of evidence of hundreds of people with failed grip belt mountings, I don't think it's appropriate to imply that this is a major issue with Canon XH-A1s in general.

I like to use the shoulder strap for security when it's not on sticks - and yes I know what many pro users think about that.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

If it really is a manufacturing defect and the camera is less than a year old, then it should be submitted to Canon factory service as a warranty repair issue.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #4
Major Player

Is your camera still under waranty? If so, Canon may resolve this for you. If not, try a little J-B Weld (the normal stuff, not the Kwik weld). It's an amazing epoxy that will probably be stronger than the plastic itself.
Marcel D. Van Someren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #5
Major Player

How did it break? What were you doing at the time? Not implying you were doing anything silly - just wondering what the circustances were so we know what sort of a margin for error we have. Cheers.
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Antonio............

If this really was a generic fault with the XHA1, then I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be the first time an instance got reported here on DVinfo.

I'm not aware of any other report of such a failure.

That said, a close inspection of my A1 does bear out that which shows so clearly in your photo, that plastic piece really doesn't look man enough for the job asked of it.

I'd be interested to hear the camera's history and circumstances of the failure.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fry View Post
How did it break? What were you doing at the time? Not implying you were doing anything silly - just wondering what the circustances were so we know what sort of a margin for error we have. Cheers.
Thanks to everyone.

I was just shooting a wedding ceremony with my right hand, that's it.

Nothing on top of the camera, I mean Lights or additional Microphones....just the camera.

Bride was entering the Church and suddendly the grip belt broke.

Canon cannot replace the camera, 'cause it is not a warranty repair issue.

I'm so sad.....
It's so frustrating!
Antonio Guarnieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Well even if it were under warranty, they wouldn't replace the entire camera, so that should not have been expected. What they would do is simply replace the right half of the body shell. Even though it's not a warranty repair, you can still have this service performed; it's just a standard charge for opening up the camera body and the cost of the right side body shell. In other words, you don't have to live with this problem -- Canon service will perform the work for a reasonable fee, or you can try a self-repair using the previously mentioned J.B. Weld (or similar product).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #9
Contributor

Mine seems solid.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #10
Major Player

Quite possibly it had a knock at some time and you may not have noticed at the time.

Doesn't look like it would be too hard to repair though, either with epoxy resin or a plastic weld.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I don't know that I'd rate that as a "manufacturing defect", more like a design flaw... using unreinforced plastic on a high stress point like that is not a bright idea - everything I've got (Sony) has METAL reinforcements at the strap ends...

That said, the plastic probably is spec'd pretty high, which is of course fine until it fails... and then it's a problem.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I am sure that another member had a problem with the grip belt on an XHA1 but can't remember the exact circumstances.

regards Alan
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #13
New Boot

Grip belt broken too...figures it is a defect

This just happened to me this past weekend! All I did was put my hand through and get ready to film, when all of a sudden it snapped right off!! It is definitely a defect, or a cheap way to make the camera. My 2nd assistant showed me the metal piece on his Sony, apparently it is much more robust than the Canon grip belt.

Last edited by Nancy Stefanovic; August 19th, 2009 at 04:36 PM.
Nancy Stefanovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #14
New Boot

By the way, I have only had the camera for less than a year and a half, and I am still paying for it. Interesting that things always seem to break just after the warranty expires....

Has anyone tried fixing it themselves or is it better to take it to a shop

Last edited by Nancy Stefanovic; August 19th, 2009 at 04:37 PM.
Nancy Stefanovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #15
Major Player

My guess is that you accidently bumped it quite recently and this time when you put your hand in the stirrup, it had enough force to break it free. You said you have had the camera for 1 1/2 years....if it was flawed, it would have gave way a while ago. With my experience with the A1's since they were introduced, the very few that did break, were bumped or hit.
Canon will do a good job fixing it for you.

Jim Martin
Jim Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders