Educational versions of software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old August 27th, 2003, 09:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Educational versions of software

Does anybody know if the educational version of software such as Photoshop 7 and the new Adobe Video Collection are identical to the full-priced version? For instance, are any features missing from the educational versions?

Thanks in advance :)
Old August 27th, 2003, 10:33 PM   #2
New Boot

hi,

The educational version is the exact same program as the commercially licensed one. The only difference is that the educational one has the educational license on it, meaning that it cannot be used for commercial purposes ie. making money off of it.
Old August 28th, 2003, 03:39 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Vegas has no such restrictions. there is no educational version, only educational pricing.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 08:09 PM   #4
Warden

Vegas has no restrictions on the educational/commercial use of the software? If I was using Vegas professionally, I'd be very upset, if this is true.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2003, 07:07 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Vegas has no restrictions on the educational/commercial use of the software? If I was using Vegas professionally, I'd be very upset, if this is true. -->>>

It is true that there are no restrictions to the use of the educational version.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2003, 07:15 AM   #6
Warden

I can understand the motivation of a struggling company, like Vegas' former owners, permitting educational users to use their software for commercial gain. However, Sony has more respect for the professional and it wouldn't surprise me that they plug that loophole.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 12:51 PM   #7
Inner Circle

considering they still have a long ways to go for significant market share, I hope they keep that option open. I don't have any problem with giving students a break.

Hey... make friends with a student and save some money. They will get you on the upgrades just like everyone else.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media