Radio communication device at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 10th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Radio communication device

Hello everyone, i did a quick search an i couldn't find any information to this subject.

If you had to buy a two way radio device to communicate between shooters, what brand and which model would you recommend?

Something lite, handsfree and that wouldn't interfere with the wireless audio system. What price range should i be looking for.

Thank you.
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Carl,
I started using the eartec systems beginning of 2008 and am veeery happy with them. It's definitely a plus to be able to communicate and I had gone through 2 other attempts to make this happen before I went with eartec. I've never had any interference and it's hands free with a pretty good range. here is the system I purchased for $300

TD902CYBER

Matt
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #3
Trustee

the eartechs are (from waht I hear) the way to go.... but very spendy. I bought 4 radios of the highest end GMRS / FRS readio (and I bought an FCC license) and it was still cheaper than eartech. But Eartech has a lot of things you won't find elsewhere... like a jack to plug in an monitor camera audio while listenign to comms.

The low tech solution works very well for us though. Search the forms for my posts about it.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use the Eartec and one feature you don't get with FRS, etc is full duplex. You can listen and talk at the same time without pressing any buttons freeing up your hands (for two people). The downside of these is that they are very low power at 900 MHz so range is limited to same room applications.
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

when you guys talk about the eartec, are you both refering to the td902cyber?

By the looks of that image it seems a bit... well big.
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #6
Trustee

I was talking about the brand. they make a lot of stuff. and yes most of it looks big. not a low profile thing at all. But that is what it takes to hear good audio from the cam, eliminate outside noise, and near the RF comms.

My ear pieces are useless near a church organ (as Travis and I found out last April) or in rock concert type settings).
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Has anyone tried to use those hand held Motorola radios, the ones you can get for about $100.

I know you have to push to talk to communicate, but they are smaller and less expensive.
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Major Player

We use a pair of these. 30mile range (when clear). VOX activated.

Midland Radio

Great for me when Im outside with the glidecam, can give the wife a heads up whats happening. We push the button during the ceremony to page teh other. Cant talk obiously but gets each others attention to change tapes, capture a shot etc.

Range is also good, was at the rectory, she was in the church, it was cold so the battery was running out quickly and could ask her to get a spare ready.

Tell ya though, me walking around with a full glidecam rig and a little radio earpiece, the number of times people tell me I look like a copper.
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #9
Major Player

Double post
Old February 12th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Wilky View Post
Has anyone tried to use those hand held Motorola radios, the ones you can get for about $100.

I know you have to push to talk to communicate, but they are smaller and less expensive.
I use them. Very handy for keeping tabs on each other through out the day. I bought 4 of them and like them.
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #11
Major Player

we had 4 Motorola radios with hand free. It's really handy when we shot with 2 or 3 cameras.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques