frame mode vs normal mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 17th, 2003, 09:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

frame mode vs normal mode

Can anyone clarify the difference between frame and normal modes? Is normal mode effectively standard 30 frame interlaced (60i) scanning? And is frame mode 30 frame progressive (30p) scanning? And what happens in the various cinema setups? Is there a 24 p scanning capability?

Peter
Peter Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2003, 01:23 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Frame mode is like progressive scan, but instead of capturing at one pass, like with progressive scan, 2 fields (1 odd, 1 even) are captured almost at the same time, making 1 frame---29.97 such frames per second. So on the tape, you record frames instead of fields. When you output via firewire, the frames are intact. If you out put via AV or S-video out, you once again have fields, but because every second (odd/even) pass was skipped, the footage will look a tad choppy in interlaced, and of course more choppy if you view these frames instead of fields say from your computer.

Interlaced just means (regular) fields, alternating odd and even, 29.97 X 2 per second.

There is no 24P with any consumer cam that I am aware of. The Pana Pro DVX100 has 24p, 30p and regular video, interlaced (fields).

Other features? You can download the PV-DV953 manual from www.onecall.com or the PAL MX500 manual from my website.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 03:28 AM   #3
Inner Circle

frame mode is also great for extracting stills from tape as well...

the frame processing incurs no interlacing artifacts so it can theoretically provide a "cleaner" picture
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 09:22 AM   #4
Regular Crew

So, I am not quite clear...when should you and when should you not use frame mode?
Peter Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #5
Inner Circle

1) i wouldnt use it on extremelyt fast action shots unless using a high speed shutter...

2) when panning do it slowly

3) perfect for weddings as image extraction for covers and content is immaculate

4) if running a Progressive scan TV or DVD you can encode to preogressive mode which will offer a more "film like" look.

frame mode is not true progressive... so its not perfect compared to the DVX kind of progressive, it works well thou and most of the time it helps in eliminating the home video feel
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant