Mini35 FAQ, Mini35 and Pro35 Demo DVD Info at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 5th, 2003, 01:25 PM   #1
Sales: Reflecmedia

Mini35 FAQ, Mini35 and Pro35 Demo DVD Info

Anyone interested in receiving a DVD of the Mini35 demo footage showcased at the various trade shows and on the web need do nothing but drop their postal address to barb@zgc.com.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Mizell

***added 09.11.03

thanks to everyone for the wonderful response. we will be burning more within the week.

all requests for DVDs outside of the Americas, especially Europe (not that there's anything wrong with that ;) ), should contact Nina at info@pstechnik.de

***added 09.30.03

These DVDs are provided free of charge. ZGC does not send spam nor do we sell our mailing lists.

***added 10.30.03

Please specify that you would like the "Mini35" DVD
Old October 30th, 2003, 04:44 PM   #2

PRO35 Shootout Demo DVD Available

Greetings Everyone,

Hot off the presses, the PRO35 Shootout DVD is now available from ZGC.

The DVD features footage from both the CineAlta and the VariCam including takes with and without the PRO35 as lensed by Jon Fauer, ASC.

These DVDs are provided free of charge. Send your postal address to pro35dvd@zgc.com and specify that you would like the "PRO35 DVD"

All the best,

Mizell
Old November 6th, 2003, 06:31 PM   #3

READ THIS FIRST ---> Mini35 FAQ

--Excerpted from the Series 400 Mini35 instruction manual

Q: Will the Angle of View of the lens I’m using be affected?

A: No, the Angle of View of the lens on the Mini35 will be similar to the AoV as seen in the Academy 35mm frame. Reason: the image the Mini35Digital creates is not projected directly onto the camera’s CCDs, but is first resolved onto the focus screen. The camera then captures this image, with all of its filmic characteristics, including Depth of Field.

Q: Do I have to send my camera to P+S Technik to do any mechanical or electronic changes before I can use the Mini35Digital image converter?

A: No. No modifications to the camera are necessary.

Q: Does the Mini 35 Digital require a power supply?

A: Yes. You will need a battery to run the motor of the Mini35Digital. Each camera connecting kit includes a battery mount specific to that brand so that no new batteries or chargers are needed, simply the batteries you already have. If you only own one battery, an additional will be required.

Q: What will the image look like as compared to a digital video look?

A: A textbook-perfect digital video image is uniformly sharp, background and foreground. The professional 35mm motion picture film “look” is sharp but less starkly so. Using a 35mm lens also allows you to capture gradations of focus (depth of field) like the human eye sees images on a plane. Tip: For the best effect when composing a shot, aim for out-of-focus objects in both the foreground and background.

Q: How can I avoid having the grain of the projection glass showing up on the tape?

A: Don’t stop the taking lens down above 4 - 5.6. Regulate the light as much as possible with the relay lens only (XL1(s) version). Use neutral density filters when there is too much light.

Q: Are there differences between the Canon XL1 and XL1s when using the Mini 35 Digital image converter?

A: With the XL1s, you can use the slow shutter without Canon lenses. Also, the XL1s chip is more sensitive to light – an advantage when using the Mini35Digital image converter.

Q: Do I need any additional editing equipment?

A: No. The Mini35 does not affect the format of the camera. The images are still being recorded in the MiniDV format for use in your current post chain.

Q: What is the weight of the Mini35Digital image converter with the Sony connecting kit?

A: 3 Kilograms

Q: What is the weight of the Mini35Digital image converter with the Panasonic connecting kit?

A: 3 Kilograms

Q: What is the weight of the Mini35Digital image converter with the Canon connecting kit?

A: 2.85 Kilograms

Q: How much light is lost?

A: in general, 1 Stop

Q: Where can I get more information on the Mini35 or connect with other users of the adapter?

A: General information is available from www.pstechnik.de. Questions can be forwarded to info@pstechnik.de. DVInfo.net (www.dvinfo.net) hosts a P+S forum (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=58) where many users post questions, insight into, and experiences with the device. Mizell Wilson of ZGC, Inc. monitors this forum regularly and he is always happy to answer any questions that the community cannot.

Q: I want to include a credit for P+S and the Mini35 in my production; do you have a preferred format of your logo or artwork available?

A: We appreciate this very much. Logos and artwork are available for download at www.pstechnik.de.

Q: Is there any prejudice towards the MiniDV format?

A: Yes. Even though MiniDV is a SMPTE standard “broadcast quality” format, many television stations and other venues will not accept MiniDV tapes or assume that the production value is low. We recommend burning your footage to DVD or transferring it to a higher format (BetaSP, DigiBeta, DVCPRO50) for presentation to these types of outlets.

Q: I’ve finished my movie and want the world to see it; can you help me distribute it?

A: No. Check out www.customflix.com for the latest in independent distribution of your film.

Q: I am using an XL1(s) and want a progressive look, but I don’t like Frame mode, are there any options?

A: While we have not tested it ourselves, we have heard very good things about DVFilmMaker from www.dvfilm.com.

Q: I am using a PAL XL1(s) for the increased resolution and color, but plan to distribute in NTSC. Is there a simple process for converting from one format to another?

A: In the past this would have required you to go to a professional transfer house, and for the best results, you still might want to consider this. With the same caveat as above, check out Atlantis from www.dvfilm.com.

Q: Do I need to support my prime lenses? What about cine zooms?

A: Most cine and still primes will not need any support. Larger still primes and zooms, typically special use telephoto lenses, will need additional support. All cine zooms will require the use of an external bridgeplate system for support.

Q: What are the major differences between using cine lenses and still lenses?

A: As far as optical quality, the SLR still lenses rank very close to that of the cine primes. The major difference is the ergonomics of the lenses. Since they were not designed to capture moving images, the focus and zoom movements may not be as smooth as the movement on a cine lens. In addition, older zoom lenses will not hold their focus while zooming in and out and functionally become variable primes. We do have reports that the newest SLR zooms will hold focus throughout the range. Make sure to test the individual lens before production.

Q: Can I use Nikon AF lenses?

A: Yes. The physical mount of the AF lenses is the same as the standard (MF) lenses and focus, iris, and zoom control can be set to manual. There are reports that these lenses are not as smooth in their movement in manual mode as compared to the MF lenses but will otherwise function normally. The Mini35 does not provide any type of electronic lens control.

Q: Will the Mini35 control the iris of my Canon EF lenses?

A: No. The Mini35 does not provide any type of electronic lens control. EF lenses are by default wide open, which means there is no problem using them with the Mini35, you will simply have no way to stop down the lens for Depth of Field control.

Q: Can I use commercially available anamorphic adapters with the Mini35?

A: No. The Mini35 connects directly to the cameras and does not allow for the use of any of the prosumer anamorphic attatchments. There are two methods for shooting 16x9. The first is to shoot 4:3, composing for 16x9 and then masking in post. The XL1s provides on screen guides to assist in this process. The second is to use the in-camera 16x9 feature. To achieve a 2.4:1 “scope” look you are able to use anamorphic cine lenses from companies such as Panavision and Hawk. Most NLE systems will allow for an anamorphic unsqueeze during capture. The image will appear squeezed in the viewfinder or field monitor unless you have a monitor that can perform an unsqueeze or you utilize an inline unsqueeze device similar to the Transvideo format converter.
Old November 21st, 2003, 09:33 AM   #4

The PAL version of the shootout DVD is now available.

Customers in the Americas should still contact pro35dvd@zgc.com

International customers should send an e-mail to info@pstechnik.de

Please specify that you are interested in the PAL version.

Mizell
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

PRO35 DVD

I've ordered the NTSC version of the the DVD. I looked at some tests that were done in LA and posted to the web. The rack focus from one player to another in that demo had a very convincing film look.

I've read on the web that the oscillating ground glass was originally built for a directors finder. When was that?
Was it ever a product?

Is the DVD footage we will receive with light levels and T stop settings? Do most DPs shoot at a fixed T stop close to what the lens is optimized for say T2.8?

Do you recommend using the iris in the relay lense system or NDs in preference to varying the taking lens apeture?

What happens if the taking lens apeture is stopped down to
T5.6 or so? Does the groundglass become more visible?

Have DPs complained about the light loss (1 1/2 stops) in the relay lens system? I for one am willing to pay the price to
get 35mm depth of field. Being able to use industry standard follow focus rigs, matteboxes etc is a bonus.

When will you be able to make the Pro35 for less than 6 months wages? Are there any possible economies of scale or scope?

Would you care to comment on the non-moving microcrystalline lens being tried by one of your competitors?

Is the ground glass essential to preserving the 35mm depth of field? Could something similar be accomplished with an aerial image/relay system?

I will have a few more questions after I have seen the DVD. Thanks for bringing this exciting technology to market.

Randall Larsen, Eye-net, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Randall Larsen
Randall Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 08:40 AM   #6
Sponsor: ZGC

Mini35 Test Footage DVDs no longer available

We've exhausted our supply of the original footage shot with the Mini35. So much footage is available for download on the internet that if you're interested in seeing newer footage taken with the most recent camera models, the best place to start would be here at dvinfo.net.
Barbara Lowry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods