Prototype HD camcorder @ CES? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old January 27th, 2004, 06:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Prototype HD camcorder @ CES?

Panasonic HD camcorder prototype...records to SD media
Just found this on Gizmodo's coverage of CES...an interesting tidbit I found while researching the Panasonic DSnap AV100 camcorder which records mpeg2 to SD cards...

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/even..._panasonic.php

The eye catching text was this:

" During the keynote they demonstrated a simmilar prototype that captured HDTV onto a 4GB SD card "

Troy
Old January 28th, 2004, 03:38 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

So if they are using the current HDV standard to record on that
SD media (wouldn't want to get much lower with bandwidth)
you can record a whole of 13 minutes. That's not that great!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 28th, 2004, 07:00 AM   #3
New Boot

Here's the pic. You can see "HD Dsnap" logo on the camera...
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...109/pana18.jpg
Old January 28th, 2004, 07:57 AM   #4
Outer Circle

Looks like a nice little cam---wide front lens element. But only 13 minutes?
Old January 28th, 2004, 08:00 AM   #5
Outer Circle

Oh. It's another MPEG2 cam---sorta like microMV---sorta. :-))
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:22 AM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

Frank,

didn't you once say in Japan high definition also means great resolution, not HD as we know it?

heath
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:30 AM   #7
Trustee

HDV models, NAB, sunny weather and beer

I have a feeling all the companies are going to use HDV in their lower models (the little hand cams) - instead of making a better than JVC model.

If that happens - I guess in one way, us JVC owners made a great choice to get the camera early. In another way, it sucks because we don't have a choice to upgrade.

However, NAB 2004 is coming...we'll see then for sure. By the way is anyone going to NAB here? I am going, so let me know and we'll hookup and either bitch at the companies or praise them in-person! I'm going with some friends, so the more the merrier.

Vegas means late night, alcohol, babes getting sun by the pool......damn, can't wait! It's FREEZZZZING up here in New England...

Murph
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

It got cold again in S. Florida, but not like you guys. You have my sympathy, but remember we'll get hit by nuclear heat in the summer!

I am curious though about this camera; I didn't think Panasonic jumped onboard the HDV tech wagon.

heath
Old January 28th, 2004, 10:20 AM   #9
Trustee

Panasonic getting on-board before the others might be a good thing - it's creditbility across the whole HDV format.

Now, no one can say "ah, but Panasonic isn't supporting it". That was something I read a few times online. At least now all companies making cameras are using HDV on cams.

I have a feeling Sony is going to make an HDV camera that uses the PD170 body and everything - it'll be priced like $2000 higher than the JVC one. The reason I think this is because they already put out their standard NTSC camera with the PD170 - they HAVE to be noticing the backlash of existing JVC customers complaining about the 1 chip design and lack of manual controls.

I'd bet within weeks we'll hear of a Sony HDV "pro" camera...having everything the JVC doesn't. I just feel it happening...get ready. Every trade magazine says, "HD" and no one is talking "NTSC"...HD is way sexier now and it'll sell way more cameras. I know everyone in film likes the 24p thing, but it just doesn't mean anything to everyone shooting for broadcast. Unless you shoot ultimately a film transfer, it's not a big deal to have on a camera. I'd bet Sony let's Panasonic keep their 24p status, but really gives them a run for their money with HDV - the perfect format for low-cost production of broadcast HD.

Oh, one last thing...all signs point to Optical disc recording on this HDV camera...no mini-tape.

I know, I'm rumoring a little here. But, I'm serious...within weeks we'll see something from Sony in my opinion! After the PD170 release without much fanfare...they need a "star" player for 2004-2006 to sell.

Murph
Old January 28th, 2004, 02:07 PM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

13 minutes, though, makes me think of shooting a magazine of film. Length only, not quality, because I don't want to start a film vs. DV debate! ;-)

heath
Old January 28th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #11
Major Player

If it was using Mpeg4, it would be 26 min. To bad they are still using 1990's technology on these.
-Les
Old January 31st, 2004, 12:13 PM   #12
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : 13 minutes, though, makes me think of shooting a magazine of film. Length only, not quality, because I don't want to start a film vs. DV debate! ;-)

heath -->>>

Yeah, that's the first thought I had, too. Personally, I don't mind shooting on media that holds 10-15 minutes of footage. It makes media management much easier, IMO. When I record audio I do it on 64 Mb flash cards even though I could do it on much bigger cards and change less often. I just like having each scene on its own card. Makes pairing it up with the film much easier when it comes back from the lab.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U