Hello from Vancouver at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old October 10th, 2001, 09:22 PM   #1
Quantum Productions

From Vancouver, Canada!

Well I'm really from Port Coquitlam but no one know where that is!

Hello all!

I've been an XL1 owner since 1998 and have been doing wedding videos for about 6 years. I own my home based company and enjoy all sorts of video productions. Looking forward to this group to help and learn more!
I got my link to Chris Hurd when he emailed me after I posted some pics on a newsgroup on a 'flip-out monitor' idea for the XL1!
Happy to be here!
Old October 13th, 2001, 11:37 PM   #2
Ballistic

A local hello

Hey,

Seems like we're in famaliar territory. I'm a happy XL1 shooter who's got a few weddings under my belt - not exactly a company though.
My true passion right now is independant films.
I'm just trying to network and find others like myself.
So, hello and take care.

TK
Old June 1st, 2002, 02:24 PM   #3
Wrangler

Hello from Vancouver

Hello to everyone!

Here is my little introduction and background.
I live in the Vancouver area. Went to school for film for 2 years before dropping out, due to lack of money. After that my interest kind of waned for the last 6 years or so, but now has picked back up in a big way.
I currently own and operate an aquarium installation and service company, and plan to do a series of instructional and education videos for retail distribution. If that's successful, I hope to continue down the video production path. Possibly with a snowboarding video, which I do a lot of. Someday down the road, I'd like to tackle a feature length production

I purchased a used XL1 off a documentary company last week, and now I'm shopping for a editing PC, as well as tons of other equiptment, which I will be looking for your opinions on.

If there is anyone else in the Vancouver area that is interested in collaborating on projects, by all means let me know.

Well, that brings you up to speed on me!
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2002, 02:36 PM   #4
Wrangler

I know where Port Coquitlam is!
I live here too!
Old June 3rd, 2002, 02:16 AM   #5
Trustee

I know Poco well, even the bearded blond at the Poco Inn. Now that scared me.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2002, 02:30 AM   #6
RED Code Chef

Welcome Dylan! That's got to hurt to drop out of school due to
a lack of money. Anyways, sounds like you have a couple of nice
things to do with your new camera. Welcome aboard!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2002, 10:28 AM   #7
Air China Pilot

Hi Dylan. I'm also in Vancouver. I've been saving up for an XL1s for most of the year and will probably be able to get a proper kit this month.

What film school did you go to? I had that option this year but I turned it down because I couldn't justify not earning a living for a year.

Maybe we can put our heads together on something? I have a friend who is a graduate of the Vancouver Film School and we're like to collaborate on a short of some kind.

Actually this weekend I crash-wrote an 8 minute film to submit to a CBC contest that I only learned about Friday.

Send me email at my work keith@dsny.com and we can compare notes.
Keith Loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2002, 10:55 AM   #8
Wrangler

Rob, dropping out did suck, but getting into the aquarium business probably got me closer to the film industry than film school.
I've done set decoration for Outer Limits, Police Academy the TV series, several commercials, and two pilots. I almost got to do a huge display for the movie Deep Rising but the company that I had worked for previously got the job. The setup turned out to be a disaster for them, and then the whole scene got cut from the movie anyway, so I'm not too crushed. :)

Keith, I went to Brock Univertisy in Ontario then transfered to SFU for my second year. I was getting the shaft from them alot for being an out of province transfer, and my money was running out, so that pretty much ended it.

I looked into the Vancouver Film School when I was at SFU, but then I met someone who had spent $20,000 on their 1 year course and said it was a waste of time and money and was re-doing everything at SFU. However, I've checked out their programs recently, and it looks pretty good. I'm thinking of taking a few courses there for a refersher. What did your freind think of it?

Summer is the slow season for my business, so I've got lots of free time if you've got any projects you want to work on!
I'll send you an e-mail.
Old June 3rd, 2002, 11:36 AM   #9
RED Code Chef

Dylan, good for you! Sounds like your indeed more in the right
direction then you would have otherwise.... Great to hear!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2002, 11:53 AM   #10
Air China Pilot

<<<--
I looked into the Vancouver Film School when I was at SFU, but then I met someone who had spent $20,000 on their 1 year course and said it was a waste of time and money and was re-doing everything at SFU. However, I've checked out their programs recently, and it looks pretty good. I'm thinking of taking a few courses there for a refersher. What did your freind think of it?
-->>>

To tell you the truth, I don't think their reputation has improved a lot more. At least as far as graduates working in the industry. My friend seems to have liked it but the only work he's doing is with his camcorder. This could have changed in the past couple years since the last time I spoke to a grad, though.

I didn't look at VFS when I was considering school because of its past reputation and its extreme cost. I'm more of a writer (though I can't wait to start shooting) with a background in post production so I'm looking more for a specific education rather than something general. I intend to take parttime courses over the next year and hopefully work some of that knowledge into my day job where we work with streaming video.
Keith Loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2002, 08:24 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hello from Vancouver Island BC Canada

hey, i just got to say if it were not for you Chris i would not be ordering my new XL1S this coming week.
I found it hard to find a good price up hear but i got to say the guys at Matrix Pro video in Vancouver are great to deal with and have given me a good student price on the XL1s (i am a Grade 10 Media student who has bean saving his penys for somtime now).
Thanks agen evry one for supplying info to this community, it has realy helped.

Alex
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2002, 11:49 PM   #12
Wrangler

Hey fellow BC dweller!

How's the weather over there?

Out of curiosity, how much is the student price vs. full price there?
That's pretty wild that you are in grade 10 and get to own a great tool like the XL1s. Hopefully it will take you places!
Old July 17th, 2002, 08:35 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hey Bylan, the weather is kinda cloudy right now. the student price at the matrix in vancouver is $5500 for the 16xis kit, and the MA200 is $356. prity good deal compared to the shelf price at Vistek ($600 16x is kit $500 for the MA200)
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2002, 09:14 PM   #14
ChorizoSmells

Alex,
congrats on your xl-1s and welcome aboard, it's great to see people getting into the dv stuff while still in high school. You're at a good point right now, everything is affordable and shooting and editing video is possible for anyone. When I was in tenth grade the first Macintosh was about to be invented, Apple II's were the hot thing back then, Chris, what was happening when you were in tenth grade?

we are all happy to pass on what we know, and of course it works the other way around, us old dogs are always willing to learn new tricks, enjoy your camera!
Old July 17th, 2002, 11:28 PM   #15
Air China Pilot

Hey Alex. I get my hands on an XL1s tomorrow. I'm in Vancouver. One of these days I'll meet up with Dylan too.

So you got good service from Matrix, eh? I sent them an email and they never replied so I usually take that as an indication of how much a company needs my service. I'll look at them again.
Keith Loh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood