UV filter or not? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 10th, 2004, 10:19 PM   #1
New Boot

UV filter or not?

I have had a Canon GL2 for about a month now and have just finished a production for a high school drama department. The show took place outside in the sun.

I am wondering if I should get a UV filter for the lens or not. Will it distort the image quality and will it fit with the lens hood on, since I usually keep the lens hood on all the time? I am also debating weather or not to buy a lens cleaning kit.

thanks
Cody Foltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 10:50 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Cody,
We have lots of posts on the general subject of UV filter usage, so do a Search to learn more. In brief, many folks use one to protect the outer lens element. Many, maybe most, keep it mounted at all times for that purpose.

My own opinion is to use it only when shooting in a setting that might present a hazard to the lens. Sand, dusty winds, rain, aerated grease (i.e. shooting a wok cooking show) being examples. But whenever possible I go naked. My reasoning: I don't like to put anything in front of that lens that's not absolutely necessary. Less is more. While a UV filter can offer some protection it can also offer a source of flares and unwanted internal reflections.

When buying any filter don't get cheap. Buy the best multi-coated filter you can afford, perhaps even going a bit beyond your budget. B+W, Heliopan and Schneider Optics are premium brands.

On your cleaning question, yes you should get and learn to use lens cleaning materials. Beware of "kits" which often are junky and can streak coated lenses with cheap solutions. So a Search on this subject as we have many posts on this subject, too.

Have fun!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 04:15 AM   #3
Wrangler

Good suggestions from Ken. Keep in mind that the depth of field with 1/4" CCDs, especially at small apertures as one may find outdoors in daylight, is such that dust on the filter can be visible in the image. In fact, the camcorder may try focus on it if the dust is significant enough.
Old August 11th, 2004, 05:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Shot a scene this weekend and I'm kicking myself for not cleaning the lens. It's still useable but it would have taken me less then a minute to clean it if I'd only checked the lens first.
Some kind of cleaning equipment is necessary.
Old August 11th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks so much for all your advice. I will be sure to find a good lens cleaner.

Thanks again.
Cody Foltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #6
Major Player

This question:
"will it fit with the lens hood on, since I usually keep the lens hood on all the time?"

yes or no?
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I would keep it on.

I would keep it on just incase, you never know what could happen, When me and my friends were shooting outdoors, he spit and the wind carried it right on my uv filter which was luckily on my lense, Obviously I was pissed at the guy...
Tatsuya Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:27 AM   #8
Major Player

i buy a Hoya HMC UV filter, and it fits perfectly!
I dont have to remove the sunshade, and i can use the lens cap too!
i dont discover any picture degradation or more lens flare!

but finally my objectiv is protected :)
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I'm of the school of thought that says only fit a 'protective' UV filter when it's absolutely, unavoidably necessary. At all other times leave it off, because you're adding two more glass surfaces with all the opportunity for minute imperfections to add to the flare. Especially at the very short focal lengths down the wide end of the zoom, where it's difficult to hood or flag the front element effectively.

And think of this. Canon have effectively 'protected' their zoom's front element by fitting two plane-parallel pieces of glass in front of it. They call this the VAP OIS, and if they thought that adding yet *another* plane parallel piece of glass to the element line-up would help image quality, then you can be sure the camera would have come so equipped.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #10
Major Player

I understand, and agree, BUT.
I cannot see more lens flares with this filter than without.
Maybe with the cheapest hama filter, i see it.
And i protect my Canon ob. You say, canon do that already.
Yeah, and what cost those two glass replace if its damaged?
In the future if i see any loss of picture quality, of course i will remove the filter.
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #11
Inner Circle

OK Prech, do this simple test that I get all my students to do. Connect your camera to a TV so you can see a decent sized image. Use the camera in nice bright sunlight and arrange to have light falling on your 'spotless' Super multi-coated UV filter. Zoom to the widest angle and if possible have a dark background (hedge, shadowed wall, etc).

Now start to unscrew the filter and watch the flare spots 'turn' as you unscrew. Most folk are horrified at what this reveals, because adding the filter has effectively stopped you cleaning the front element properly as well as adding two more imperfectly clean surfaces.

It's nothiing against you or your cleaning methods, it's the polluted world we live in. These days lens coatings have improved tremendously. The Zeiss T* coating on all Sony cameras is so good that looking into a multi-element lens can look like looking into a black hole, so little light is reflected back from its innards.

The Zeiss multi-coating I have on my spectacles has survived the wear and tear of three years of constant cleaning on anything that comes to hand; I happily wash them under a tap and dry the lenses using kitchen roll (yes, paper made out of pulped Canadian Redwoods). No expensive Optometrist sprays and special cloths for me, yet my spectacle lenses look as good as the day I bought them. I’m a critical sort of fellow when it comes to lens coatings, as many will tell you.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders