TA100 Compatibility at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 4th, 2004, 12:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

TA100 Compatibility

Is the TA100 compatible with bogen heads, specifically the 516?

It looks quite large, but maybe I'm missing something.

Also, if anyone has any pictures of it actually attached to an XL2, attached to a tripod, that would be great.

Thanks.
Joel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Yes, it is compatable with a Bogen, or any tripod with a quick release plate.
Old November 4th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Joel, I just bought both the TA100 and 516 head and it works great.
Cheers
I'll try to post some pics tomorrow...

Alexis
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2004, 07:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Excellent. Thanks!
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Here the links for some TA100-516 pics

http://www.audiovisuallab.com/xl2/ta100516-01.gif
http://www.audiovisuallab.com/xl2/ta100516-02.gif
http://www.audiovisuallab.com/xl2/ta100516-03.gif
http://www.audiovisuallab.com/xl2/ta100516-04.gif
http://www.audiovisuallab.com/xl2/ta100516-05.gif

Somebody once said that its not comfortable for shoulder....well not if you use the quick release from thr TA100 instead of the head. I found it more easy to release and mount than the bogen quick release, but thats just my opinion... I hope it helps you...

The pics was taken witha Panny 3ccd 120...not bad for a cheap cam.
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:53 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Alexis! That's interesting, so it just fits over the entire head. It looks quite sturdy. I think I will have to get one.

Thanks again.
Old November 5th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Will it work with the 501?

Thanks
Josh Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 06:46 AM   #8
Trustee

I have a bogen/manfrotto 505 head. I've been using the plate that came with the 505, which screws into the bottom of the xl2. It's pretty sturdy ( although it is only one bolt comared to the 4 screws on the ta100), but has to be removed if I want to use my monopod instead ( which has it's own mounting bracket).
Would there be a benefit in using the ta 100?
Thanks
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 12:12 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I have just one more question: How does the TA100 attach the the tripod? I understand how the camera attaches to the TA100, but cannot see in any of the pictures if the TA100 itself attaches to the tripod, in place of the quick release plate, or if it attaches to the quick release plate, which then slides onto the tripod.

Thanks!

This is important to me because I'm missing the release plate for my tripod, and would like to not to have to buy another.
Old November 8th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #10
Regular Crew

well, unfortunatly it attaches to the quick release plate
Old December 18th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #11
Tourist

Is this TA100 Tripod Adapter made of plastic?

If so, is this setup super steady once you slide it on to the included plate? I am worried to have invested in a 529 Manfrotto Head and be disappointed with a loose quick release adapter.

What has anyone experienced?

Thanks.
Daniel Woltosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Caldwell
Will it work with the 501?

Thanks
Josh,

I'm sure it would fit, but I would not use it if I were you. The 501 has no counter balance springs and anything that gets the camera up higher is just going to compound your weight problems when not level. It is going to want to fall forward or back even more.

JMHO
Old December 18th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #13
Tourist

I resurrected this post to ask if the TA100 is quality

Pastic or metal? Looks plastic. Using this quick release plate on a quality head, will I end up with a loose mount because of play due to wear?

Thanks.
Daniel Woltosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Woltosz
Pastic or metal? Looks plastic. Using this quick release plate on a quality head, will I end up with a loose mount because of play due to wear?

Thanks.
It's all metal construction on both pieces. There is a smaller piece that mounts to the bottom of the XL2 with 4 screws. The other piece is attached to the plate from the tripod that would normally be directly attached to the camera. To remove the camera from the tripod, you pull outward on the red release lever which moves a lock pin back and into a latched open position. When you slide the camera back onto the plate with a forward motion, it trips the latch and the locking pin moves into position making for a very secure mount.

I would have to humbly disagree with Mike T. on this one. I had TA-100's for both of my XL2's and I feel the 4 screw mount makes for a better mechanical coupling to the camera than the single 3/8 hole. But that's just my humble opinion.

This is the way the bigger cameras attach to tripods.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 08:59 PM   #15
Major Player

I have the TA100 and IMHO I think that it is much better than just using the quick release on my 501 head. One of the main reasons I think this is that if you leave the quick release plate from the 501 head on the bottom of the camera, and take the camera off the tripod, you really can't set the camera down. The screws on the quick release stick out too far and the camera seems like it will fall over easily, possibly damaging the eye-piece or the mic. But with the plate that comes with the TA100, the bottom is flat and allows the camera to be taken off the tripod, used in hand, and set down on a table to change tapes or whatever. So I think that alone gives the TA100 quite an advantage over the standard quick release plate.

Yes it raises the camera up a little and there is no counterbalance spring on the 501, but I haven't found that to be a problem. If you watch what you're doing, and lock the camera in place when you walk away from it (which you should do anyway) I think anyone would be fine with the combo.

As far as the TA100 connection getting loose overtime - I've been actively using mine for about 9 months and it's still very tight. Maybe someone that has used one for longer could comment about long term wear.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders