Cool, HUFFYUV is faster than uncompressed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old December 13th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cool, HUFFYUV is faster than uncompressed

I was testing codecs with DVD size video:

HUFFYUV did 34fps
Uncompressed did 24fps
Aware Wavelet did 48fps

Pretty interesting. They can be used as intermediates for editing.
Robert Silvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2004, 05:45 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Uncompressed was likely bottlenecked by disk speed. Normally it would be the fastest given that it doesn't encode.
Old December 13th, 2004, 09:55 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Robert,

What software have you decided to do your huffyuv encoding in? ( I was hoping someone would have some interesting suggestions in response to your earlier post.)
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2004, 10:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I *wanted* to use DVD2AVI but it breaks up the files into 2Gb sections. This is dreadful and has not been a limit for 5 years now. It totally keeps me from swapping the files with the .m2t originals in Vegas.

So I am using VirtualDubMpeg now. I have one problem -- the Aware codec does not allow me to select interlace options from VirtualDub, but it does from DVD2AVI. I am not sure why but it 'sees' the video at startup as just 160x128 pixels so that is why it ghosts out the interlace button.

I did some more tests.

The Aware codec (and Cineform) SMOKES the Pic-wavelet in speed and allows for much larger file sizes, so I assume the Pic is meant for low (low) end video conferencing over a phone line or something.

Pic motion jpeg is not bad but their lossless jpeg generates much larger files than HUFFYUV and does so more slowly.

Anyway, Aware wavelets not only generates much smaller files than HUFFYUV, but also is faster and plays back more smoothly in Vegas. So I don't plan to use HUFFYUV for editing. The files are just too big, and you are talking to someone who has almost 4 TB of storage online.

ConnectHD seems like the best way to go because it combines steps and saves time over useing CapDVHS and VirtualDubMpeg, not to mention that it does all these steps without changing color space (people who think HUFFYUV is 100% 'lossless' are not factoring in the color conversion).

So give me a choice of ConnectHD or Aware's codec -- both of which seem to be fast and visually-lossless -- or HUFFYUV which is slower and makes files 6 times larger and is also (slightly) lossy (due to color conversion) -- well, I will go wavelet.

Old December 14th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #5
Trustee

Interesting. What's the current version of the Aware codec - I couldn't see any details about it on their site?
Old December 14th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Dunno, but they are not marketing it for this market.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 08:18 PM   #7
Trustee

What is the colour space of HuffYUV?

Anyway, anyone know anything about BitJazz SheerVideo™ Pro v2.0 codec? They promote it as being lossless with 1/2 the size as uncompressed and very high speed. Can do 4:4:2 or 4:4:4!
http://www.bitjazz.com/sheervideo/
Old January 3rd, 2005, 07:07 PM   #8
Major Player

any links to Aware codec

"<---- Interesting. What's the current version of the Aware codec - I couldn't see any details about it on their site?--->"

same impression...
maybe someone have an info about menitoned aware codec.
and link? i do not know nothing about it, and their site makes me confused... can someone clear it for me (us)?

thanks,

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #9
Major Player

I've tried converting video from the FX1 to both the Sheer and Aware codec and neither holds up. They seem paler and there are some macro blocks in high motion scenes.
Kyle Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #10
Trustee

Slightly off-topic, but can anyone recommend a good way to check what color-space a particular avi file is in, and better still, what color-space conversions have taken place during a decode -> re-encode process.

For example, I'm interested in the best ways to convert PAL DV to NTSC DV, and 720p HDV to DV, using tools like VirtualDub and/or Avisynth2.0 and 2.5, and intermediate codecs like huffyuv or aware or simply uncompressed.

But when I start trying to figure out what these tools are actually doing to color-space my brain starts hurting....
Old January 4th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #11
Major Player

The doom9 forums are a good place to start. You can search over there for alot of information about colour space conversions.

http://forum.doom9.org/
Old January 4th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #12
Trustee

Yeah - I watch Doom9 regularly.

I was kinda hoping there might be a tool that would actually report on the color-space, YUV etc of a particular avi file, or codec, that might in some cases be of unknown origin.

GSpot and Procoder both report the codec and 4cc code, which is half-way there ..... so I was wondering if there's another app that gives additional details?
Old January 4th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #13
Major Player

I know I've come across a site that lists just about every codec out there and has the x:x:x information for some, but I couldn't find it (of course) when I try.
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:59 PM   #14
Trustee

Kyle
"I've tried converting video from the FX1 to both the Sheer and Aware codec and neither holds up. They seem paler and there are some macro blocks in high motion scenes."

The "paler" look is probably the result of some element going wrong in the conversion. Maybe YUV to RGB or some such. The sheervideo codec is completely lossless so the macro blocking you are seeing was probably already there. If you would apply a brightness filter to your origional footage that is probably what you would see (especially if you are talking about FX1 with high motion.)
Old January 5th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #15
Major Player

I know for a fact the Aware codec showed macro blocks that were not there, but for the Sheer, I was pretty sure too. I will try again with the Sheer codec and post some samples by tomorrow.
Kyle Edwards is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions