XL2 Channel 2 Audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 19th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #1
Tourist

XL2 Channel 2 Audio

Hi, I am trying to use channel 1 for front mic and channel 2 for rear XLR mic, can any one tell me how, I follow the guidelines from the manual but I either get the front mic or just channel 1 audio from rear, I could not get channel one and two from different audio input!
Thanx
Kambiz Koushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I had this exact same problem. As far as I know, there is no way to get both the front mic and an XLR input to both record on both audio channels simultaneously. I found a reasonably good solution to the problem however. I set the front mic to record on channels 1/2, but turned the channel 1 gain all the way down. Then I set the rear XLR mic to record on channels 3/4 (but it only comes out on 3). This way, the front mic records on one stereo channel, and the XLR mic records on the other. Then when you capture the audio (you need software that captures both audio channels) you can balance out those two channels to play on both left and right stereo channels.

I filmed a live event with my XL2 using this technique and it worked very effectively. If you need stereo however, it's not such a good option. Good luck and let us know if you actually find a way to have both mics on both channels simultaneously.
Brent Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 01:27 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Brent has it right.

The front mic included with the XL2 is a stereo mic. It always requires two channels. These two channels must be the first stereo pair on the XL2, this pair is labeled as Audio 1. The second stereo pair is Audio 2. Use this pair for two (or one) additional microphones, the inputs for which can be selected from the rear XLR jacks. This will of course require you to set the XL2 to record 12-bit audio from within the camera menu. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 02:24 AM   #4
Wrangler

Chris,

Slight clarification. Audio 1 also allows input from the XLR jacks. This would of course, disable the on camera mic.

I only posted this because reading your post seemed to indicate that the XLR jacks could only be used as Audio 2 input.

BTW, when are you coming up this way? I'm buying the beer (or wine). You gotta try the Fogo de Chao restaurant I was talking about.

regards,

=gb=
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #5
Tourist

I will try

So this is a problem from XL2 side, I let you guys know if I come up with another alternative.
Thanx
Kambiz Koushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks Greg,

The way I wrote it was confusing. I meant to say that the front stereo mic can only go through Audio 1, but you can of course assign Audio 1 to other inputs as well (XLR jacks, RCA jacks etc.).

Not sure when I'm up there again, but you can bet I'll bring an appetite.

Old January 19th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

two mics

so lets say i use a mic on camera plugged to xlr 1/3 . and a wireless receiver plugged to xlr 2/4 . this would give me the same audeo tracs as the standerd on camera stereo mic as long as the switchs are set accorddingly . is that correct or am i as dumb as i sound . thanks dp
Old February 10th, 2005, 08:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Replace onboard mic with another?

How is the onboard mic connected to the camera?

Could you replace it with, say, a Sennheiser K6 ME66 (mono) mic, set it to channel 1, and then use the rear XLR inputs for channel 2 preserving the 16 bit recording?
Chris Jothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Yes, Chris, you can certainly do it that way.

Old April 4th, 2005, 01:55 AM   #10
New Boot

Tricking the camera?

If I were to plug a mono mic into the 1/8th jack the onboard mic uses would the camera just duplicate the source onto both audio tracks, or would it realize that it isn't a stereo mic and just put the signal on on track, leaving the other one open for a rear input (ie, getting around the whole need for putting the rear input on channel 3).

--CW
Chris Wilkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 07:01 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Neither. You'd be stuck with a mono signal on one side only and nothing at all on the other channel.

Old April 29th, 2005, 09:09 AM   #12
New Boot

no dice

Hi all, and thanks for giving me a free education. No lurking anymore;
I'm registered now.

Following Brent's tip, I've tried using the onboard mic and a wireless
fed through the rear xlr input. With the settings mentioned in this
thread, however, my xl2 is only receiving from the onboard mic. I'm
positive my wireless works (when I switch audio 1 to rear), so I must
be doing something wrong. Any advice?

(and yes, I have switched to 12 bit when trying the above).

Thanks!
Van Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #13
Regular Crew

This is the way I've recorded audio with my onboard mic and Wireless XLR...

I have set the audio to 12 bit, and made sure that Channels 1-2-3-4 have all been selected.
I make sure my "Input Select" switch for Audio 2 is set to "Rear", and plug my XLR there.
The last step is to push the "Audio Monitor" button on the left side of the camera until it reads "1-2-3-4".
At that point you will get audio on all four channels, (Well, actually three unless you're using two mics) including the front 0n-board mic.

This does not get you channel 1/2 audio, but it does work.
Bill Zens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #14
New Boot

Ah...

Okay, that worked! Thanks alot. I'm pleased with the audio results
from today's shoot; now it's time to enter editing zone.

Van
Van Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:36 AM   #15
Tourist

4 ch audio got. And now ??

Following your suggestions I got some interviews using the 4 channel audio (1+2 front mic, 3 XLR, 4 XLR). I can hear all the channel in my headphone when I play the tape. I'm just being crazy about transfering the audio via firewire to my pc (using Premiere or other sw running on Microsoft plattform). Is there any additional settings to be set on the camera in order to properly transfer the 4 channel audio to pc ? I also saw that other sw (eg. FinalCut) can acquire multiple audio tracks at the same time. Any chance ?
Roberto Cetta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders