Raynox DCR-2020PRO 2.2x telephoto for HDR-FX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 7th, 2005, 11:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Raynox DCR-2020PRO 2.2x telephoto for HDR-FX1?

Raynox DCR-2020PRO 2.2x telephoto for HDR-FX1? any one try this combo? or is this a waste of money?
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:31 AM   #2

Haven't tried it, do they have any images to show what sort of barrel distortion you're going to get, if any?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:42 AM   #3
Major Player

i saw some pictures but i can't tell of any distortion. i really need a telephoto and dont have the budget to go with the century optics telephoto. and 1.6x is not enough. the raynox is 2.2x

here is a link

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/dcr2020pro/index.htm
Old February 8th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #4

Based on the image I see, I'd be frightened of using it, there are abberations in the shots, and it is a very low cost lens, but if it's what you can afford, then you go with what you can afford. Unfortunately, quality isn't cheap.
you won't be getting "bad" video, but you won't be getting great video either.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have a Canon wide-angle adapter for my GL1/GL2, and although the image quality is tolerable it's noticeably softer than images taken without the adapter. Point being that anything you put in front of the main glass on your camera is likely to affect image quality, so don't expect any miracles even with an expensive adapter.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:51 AM   #6
Trustee

Kevin,
I use the WD58 with my XM2 and I must say that I haven't seen a real degradation in resolution. The only difference may be that since the shots are wider, SD will just not resolve all the extra detail...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #7
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle : Based on the image I see, I'd be frightened of using it, there are abberations in the shots, and it is a very low cost lens, but if it's what you can afford, then you go with what you can afford. Unfortunately, quality isn't cheap.
you won't be getting "bad" video, but you won't be getting great video either. -->>>

yeah, maybe the "under par" video won't be seen when down converted from HD.
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #8
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Shaw : I have a Canon wide-angle adapter for my GL1/GL2, and although the image quality is tolerable it's noticeably softer than images taken without the adapter. Point being that anything you put in front of the main glass on your camera is likely to affect image quality, so don't expect any miracles even with an expensive adapter. -->>>

yeah and i have the WD-58 for my GL2 and i don't see any quality loss.

joel
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #9
Inner Circle

<<<i have the WD-58 for my GL2 and i don't see any quality loss.>>>

Maybe it's just me then, but it sure looks like any video I shoot with the WD-58 is slightly softer than video shot without it. Maybe not by much, but enough to be distracting to me when looking at the source footage.

In any case, it's inherently true that you should be concerned about image quality when adding anything to the front of a camera lens, and take extra care to keep things clean when doing so.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1